PRO Meeting with NHRA (1 Viewer)

It slowed them down for a season or two. NHRA's insurance carriers were getting nervous.

That was 1989 and 1992 KB broke the triple century mark.

I remember Lee Beard in an interview chucking about the whole thing when they were suggesting a reduction to 400 cubes.

He simply said he would spin it a extra 1000 rpm and in no time be as fast or faster.

Of course with the rev limiters of today that is moot.

No matter what NHRA is doing ET's are pretty much staying the same.

Speeds overall seem to be lower though, could be my imagination.

Attempts at thwarting the crew chiefs have been going on for a while, with very little success.

they just view it as another challenge.

Plus I really do not believe reducing performance levels to the early 90's would do great things for the sport.

I know I don't want to see it.

REX

no no I don't mean slowing them back that far. Dragsters running high 4.5 low 4.6 315-320. Even if it only slows them for a year or two thats fine. Who knows what safety technology will be like in 2 years. We can build them faster to be faster then we can to make them safer.

no no I don't mean slowing them back that far. Dragsters running high 4.5 low 4.6 315-320. Even if it only slows them for a year or two thats fine. Who knows what safety technology will be like in 2 years. We can build them faster to be faster then we can to make them safer.

Makes sense...........

REX

why not just lower the amount of blower overdrive and compression ratio.
Make the crew chiefs earn their keep by inventing a new tuneup.
Lowering the compression ratio and lowering the blower overdrive would help save the crankshafts etc.
go with the 90% as well.
Better yet get rid of on-board computers and tune like the good old days.
Just my thoughts

Just my .02...... but until they resolve the tire issue, it won't really matter what percentage they run. The 90% rule change, is designed to and will increase the life cycle of the parts in the rotating assembly, and even the highly funded teams will appreciate that. I think most guy's will creep up on the percentage with thier excisting components, while taking compression and timing and overdrive away, to put the crankshaft and rods in a better position to absorb the bang. Instead of pulling out three year old data.....that was collected on a completely different tire...and before the rev. limiter.....they already have to crutch the cars early,to run this tire, then hope they don't come apart before you get to the lights. ?????

why not just lower the amount of blower overdrive and compression ratio.
Make the crew chiefs earn their keep by inventing a new tuneup.
Lowering the compression ratio and lowering the blower overdrive would help save the crankshafts etc.
go with the 90% as well.
Better yet get rid of on-board computers and tune like the good old days.
Just my thoughts

I hear ya'

Although I've never seen a shiftier bunch than pro nitro tuners.;):D

Who knows.......someday we might see complete crated motors waiting for the teams to purchase from the NHRA at each track.

Yeah.......sounds crazy...............

REX

Just my .02...... but until they resolve the tire issue, it won't really matter what percentage they run. The 90% rule change, is designed to and will increase the life cycle of the parts in the rotating assembly, and even the highly funded teams will appreciate that. I think most guy's will creep up on the percentage with thier excisting components, while taking compression and timing and overdrive away, to put the crankshaft and rods in a better position to absorb the bang. Instead of pulling out three year old data.....that was collected on a completely different tire...and before the rev. limiter.....they already have to crutch the cars early,to run this tire, then hope they don't come apart before you get to the lights. ?????

The teams with the $$$$$$$$$$$$ will lean on these combos right out of the box.

Of course another factor is the countdown.

That may lead to teams not needing to lean on it right away......although I am certain some will.

One problem would be the underfunded teams trying to gain a early advantage, these are always wild cards.

All in all I like it though

speed, Speed, and more SPEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

REX

The Countdown isn't a factor, because the rule does not go into affect till next year. The Underfunded Teams won't tend to lean on it in.....because they can't afford it now......much less the learning curve associated with leaning on it. And the main subject of my post was......the tire won't take it !! Until they come out with a better tire.....performances will not improve. When was the last time you heard someone complain about hitting the rev. limiter??.....and they are not exactly beating up the record books this year.

Last edited:
That is where I go out on a limb (do I hear sawing?). I think they will be complaining about the limiter.........at least when its cool early :)

Sawing....that's funny. Conditions at Pomona especially can get pretty darn good...as well as a few other places. But, except for the dead of summer, most of the friday night sessions are pretty coooool, and offer really good conditions?? The tire is still the weakest link by far. It would be cool if they could go back to inner liners.....and a more forgiving tire, like the old 1777 design from years ago. Performance would improve, there would be more side by side racing in the fuel classes, and if you did have a tire failure.....it could fall on the inner liner.....instead of a bare metal rim. Again.....my .02

We have been over this time and time again, if you want to slow down the fuel cars reduce the size of the pump output. Fuel = power Less fuel =Less power.

Don't need all the fancy stuff.....

I think the smartest thing I have seen is lets make them safer and then we can make them faster.

jim

Actually.....we weren't talking about how to slow them down. We were talking about how the 90% rule will affect the sport....and what effects performance right now. But I agree with you Jim.......Mandate and govern the size of the inlet into the pump.....maybe even have the tech dept. issue manifolds that attach to the bottom of the pump ( restrictor plate for the fuel pump ) at each event.......or better yet.....take 1 magneto away too. ???

I fully expect with them giving them 90% back that they will take something else away to manage speeds. I'm not saying that they need to but that's what iI expect will happen

They won't have to do anything......that tire is enough of a handicap....and it works from start to finish.

this move was made mainly to prolong rod, piston, and crankshaft life, not so much to slow the cars down cuz as 'ol Scoots has said before, the current tire can't handle anymore than whats being thrown at it right now, and the crew chiefs know this prolly better than any of us

Would reducing down force slow them and make it easier on the tires? I would like to see the funny cars look more like the pro mod cars. Take the good pro mod drivers out there now and throw in the Force's, Bernsteins, and such.

Would reducing down force slow them and make it easier on the tires? I would like to see the funny cars look more like the pro mod cars. Take the good pro mod drivers out there now and throw in the Force's, Bernsteins, and such.

the less down force, the more loose the cars become...so thats really a slippery slope to try and go down

Yeah, but the current tire can't handle much more in the way of speed. They're already at the limit there, so no, I don't think we'll see many faster runs. If we do, we're going to see many more bad accidents attributed to tires. Guys, if the scoreboards weren't there or not working could you *really* tell the difference between a 4.60 and a 4.90 run? I don't think so. Tone 'em back a little. It's still going to be good racing and I never thought I'd ever say this, but the nitro cars it seems are going a little *too* fast nowadays for the equipment.

Ok, flame away... :rolleyes:

this move was made mainly to prolong rod, piston, and crankshaft life, not so much to slow the cars down cuz as 'ol Scoots has said before, the current tire can't handle anymore than whats being thrown at it right now, and the crew chiefs know this prolly better than any of us

Mike,

You got it right and if this reduces parts carnage it's the right move. Reducing the cost of racing means it's easier to get sponsors. Less part carnage means fewer oil downs, and less costly racing means the well-funded teams have less of an advantage, so that means more competitive racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back