PRO Meeting with NHRA (1 Viewer)

If anybody remembers and if I'm not mistaken wasn't all the bad crashes and explosions and blow ups when we were 90%.
We just saw what happened to John and then you want to make them go faster.??

Is it just me or am I looking for others?:D:p

If anybody remembers and if I'm not mistaken wasn't all the bad crashes and explosions and blow ups when we were 90%.
We just saw what happened to John and then you want to make them go faster.??

Is it just me or am I looking for others?:D:p

90% won't really make them go faster, it will make it so they dont have to run as high of compression, meaning they wont be junking cranks after 4 runs when in all reality they should be able to get 15-20 runs out of one

I got a fistfull of moolah that sez 90% coupled with what was learned running 85%...........You ARE gonna' see quicker runs.

Maybe not faster but anyone gonna' tell (with a straight face), that we won't see 4.30's TF and .50's FC?????????

C'mon...........:cool:

REX

Yea.........supposedly, the vote was pretty evenly split. There are many with grave reservations :(

Yea.........supposedly, the vote was pretty evenly split. There are many with grave reservations :(

I honestly don't know if keeping them at 85% would have kept them slow. The cars find ways to go faster, crew chiefs find ways to make new horsepower, to make the clutch combinations better to run good ET's and great speeds.

I'm by NO means an expert, but I believe the 85% reduction was a knee jerk reaction to the Darrell Russell tragedy (God bless him). You can slow them down now, but in a few years, people will have things figured out and they will be flying again.

Once again, I am NOT a know it all. I probably know less than anybody on this board. That's just my opinion.

Jeremy, you make good points but the problem is the change itself. Changes always lead to carnage and inconsistency. It's not like you go right back to the way it was at 90%. Basically, you throw out the last couple of years data. The bigger teams will have a big advantage(rapid data acquisition) ..........and probably voted accordingly

Jeremy, you make good points but the problem is the change itself. Changes always lead to carnage and inconsistency. It's not like you go right back to the way it was at 90%. Basically, you throw out the last couple of years data. The bigger teams will have a big advantage(rapid data acquisition) ..........and probably voted accordingly

No rule says can't continue to run 85%. If what you say is true that would be the answer for the first few races while everyone else figures 90% out. Just don't get caught with 90.1%

My opinion only......but the destination will be good, it is the journey that will be expensive

I can't wait to hear the crackle must closer to what it should be.

If I remember right about 15 years ago didn't they make them change rear ends, that helped to slow them down for several years? Nothing drastic As long as they are both still in the 4's and over 300 it would work. I think that would be a good way, hell it was proven to work well once before

If I remember right about 15 years ago didn't they make them change rear ends, that helped to slow them down for several years? Nothing drastic As long as they are both still in the 4's and over 300 it would work. I think that would be a good way, hell it was proven to work well once before

It slowed them down for a season or two. NHRA's insurance carriers were getting nervous.

That was 1989 and 1992 KB broke the triple century mark.

I remember Lee Beard in an interview chucking about the whole thing when they were suggesting a reduction to 400 cubes.

He simply said he would spin it a extra 1000 rpm and in no time be as fast or faster.

Of course with the rev limiters of today that is moot.

No matter what NHRA is doing ET's are pretty much staying the same.

Speeds overall seem to be lower though, could be my imagination.

Attempts at thwarting the crew chiefs have been going on for a while, with very little success.

they just view it as another challenge.

Plus I really do not believe reducing performance levels to the early 90's would do great things for the sport.

I know I don't want to see it.

REX

Last edited:

PJ, that was in '91, NHRA madated a 3.20 gear from the 2.90 most teams were running. I think a 2.90 might save some engine carnage from the 8,500 RPM they're turning now.:rolleyes:

PJ, that was in '91, NHRA madated a 3.20 gear from the 2.90 most teams were running. I think a 2.90 might save some engine carnage from the 8,500 RPM they're turning now.:rolleyes:

you are correct.........'91 was the actual year of the switch.

I remember in '89 when they were inching towards 300 mph ways of slowing the cars down were being discussed.

So they slowed them down for one year:rolleyes:

Lets see.........90% w/2.90 gears, more load, less dropped cylinders...more HP.......

What..........340-345 mph for Nitro cars??

REX

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back