Pomona and Poenix travel tips (2 Viewers)

Thanks heaps to everyone who has replied.

Its amazing just how well known In-n-out is, people I know who have been to Pomona tell me its a must to eat there and is definitely on my list.

Another thing on my list is going to the mater meetings at both tracks, will be good to put some faces to names and talk drag racing!

I am still in the early stages of planning my trip but heres what I have so far; Get into LAX the 2nd, 5 nights in Anaheim (theme parks) then to Pomona for 4 nights (do the museum on Thursday).Then my brother heads back home and I am traveling alone. I was thinking of heading to downtown LA for a couple of nights and do Universal and a bus tour of Beverly Hills etc. then head up to San Fransisco and do Alkatraz. Then to Vegas for 4 nights then fly to Phoenix for the race and then back home.

This is all still subject to change so let me know if there is something I am missing out on and I will try to include it in my trip.

Thanks again for all the advice, it is much appreciated.

Darren- If you are looking for a hotel in Anaheim, I'd use Priceline. Last summer I got the Hyatt for $59 per night via Priceline.

:cool:
I forgot about the "Ate the Snake" t shirt at the rustlers rooste. Yhay shpu;d get a lot of comments from your mates when you get back down under.
It kinda tastes like chicken but it does have its own taste. Live it up and give it a try.
At Merenderos the chorizo and egg burrito for breakfast gives you just enough grease to soak up the beer during the day. Make sure you get extra cheese.

The only thing I'd recommend is looking at airports other than LAX if the price is anywhere close. ONT (Ontario, CA) would probably be the best choice since you're ending your trip in Pomona but SNA (Orange County) and BUR (Burbank) would be reasonable alternatives as well.

The only thing I'd recommend is looking at airports other than LAX if the price is anywhere close. ONT (Ontario, CA) would probably be the best choice since you're ending your trip in Pomona but SNA (Orange County) and BUR (Burbank) would be reasonable alternatives as well.

Tom,

He's flying in from Melbourne, AUS so I doubt he has those options to fly into smaller airports. Depends on where he's flying in from and I suspect Hawaii so maybe there are flights to the smaller airports you mentioned. What do I know. I've flown into SNA (Orange County) and it was great, but that was an in-the-states flight.

Darren, you may be spending too much time at theme parks from the sounds of it, and since I live in Orlando, the mega-theme park capital of the the U.S. I can assure you they are way too expensive for what you get but then I/we are jaded since we can go anytime we want, and have been more times than necessary. For you, it may be a unique and possible one-time experience, at least in California. Everything there is practically duplicated here in Florida so no real attraction for any of us. I grew up out west so going to Disneyland was a yearly thing for me, although they have expanded so may be more interesting now. I agree with the NHRA Wally Parks racing museum as that is one place I HAVE to go myself, but you should probably hit the Santa Monica Pier & boardwalk and the outdoor shopping district nearby as they have cool stuff going on in the evenings. Definitely spend time in San Francisco, and not just Alcatraz! I've probably been to Frisco 10 times in my life and still haven't felt the need to go visit Alcatraz but I hear the tour is great. There is SO much to see in San Francisco though that I just never get to that. Cross the Golden Gate bridge to Marin County and poke around the Marin Highlands, and even drive up into the Redwoods if you have some time. Its not far. Sausalito is great too, and dinner on the bay in Sausalito gives you a great view of Frisco at night. I grew up in Phoenix and have been gone for 20 years although I just visited for a week in early Oct. February is a great time to be in Arizona as the weather is perfect then most years. I don't have the local knowledge I once did, but the Mill Ave scene in Tempe is still fun at night and not far from Firebird and lots of hotels in that area due to the University (ASU). Tempe was my old stomping grounds for 20+ years. Still a pretty neat place and it has every amenity necessary. Vegas, well I have no local knowledge whatsoever. I only know it from the pictures and the stories as I have not been as an adult, although spent a night or two there in the 60's or 70's before it got really hip. Would love to go now. Enjoy. Your trip sounds like a once in a lifetime, or it would be for me traveling that far from home.

Darren, it`s fine that you`re doing the whole Disneyland thing in Anaheim, but do yourself a favor and make a trip up I-5 to Magic Mountain in Valencia...15 or so of the worlds greatest rollercoasters reside there.

Darren, it`s fine that you`re doing the whole Disneyland thing in Anaheim, but do yourself a favor and make a trip up I-5 to Magic Mountain in Valencia...15 or so of the worlds greatest rollercoasters reside there.

Thanks for that tip Chris. Just checked out the website and the lure of 14 rollercoasters means there is no way I would miss that. Thanks again!

Chris is right, Magic Mountain is a Roller coaster clinic! But go while school's in session or you'll wait your ass off!

Tom,

He's flying in from Melbourne, AUS so I doubt he has those options to fly into smaller airports. Depends on where he's flying in from and I suspect Hawaii so maybe there are flights to the smaller airports you mentioned. What do I know. I've flown into SNA (Orange County) and it was great, but that was an in-the-states flight.
Good point, I missed that.
Wow, Magic Mountain. I haven't been there in years... I loved that place! Anybody up for a pre or post race Mater meeting at MM? :D

At either place DON'T MISS Pinnacle Peak Steak House.In Pomona go north from the track to Foothill Blvd. and turn west (left) and go until you see the covered wagon. And order the BIG COWBOY........it's worth the difference as it's so much better.
The Menu is printed on your "DOGGIE" BAG !! You'll need it !! :)
The one in the Phoenix area seats 3,500 people....and has quite a view.:D:D
I second the pinnacle peak idea. I live here and it is my favorite!!! Firebird doesnt impress me much kind of reminds me of lacr.

:cool:
I forgot about the "Ate the Snake" t shirt at the rustlers rooste. Yhay shpu;d get a lot of comments from your mates when you get back down under.
It kinda tastes like chicken but it does have its own taste. Live it up and give it a try.
At Merenderos the chorizo and egg burrito for breakfast gives you just enough grease to soak up the beer during the day. Make sure you get extra cheese.

the best breakfast burrito in pomona is at Bravo Burger just south on the track on white ave. Trust me I always need something to soak up beer. I like beer:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back