Pomona and Poenix travel tips (1 Viewer)

bing

Nitro Member
Hi all,

I am after some advise for my drag racing holiday to the U.S next Feb.

What I am mainly after is places to stay close to the track for both races. Also things like what are the best reserved seats for both tracks and any other advice for a first time NHRA fan.

I cant wait to get over there to witness first hand what I have been watching for years on ESPN.

Thanks

Darren Bingham
Melbourne, Australia

Darren....i offer you this advice

eat at In-N-Out Burger as often as you can!!!!! :):):)

For Firebird I would say sections P1 to P4 aren't too bad because they have their own bathroom; you can usually get through the line there faster than the other bathrooms that everyone else uses; they are overpriced for what you get but they put you right by the starting line and the bathroom is useful; Firebird usually has some good racing and can produce some big numbers but it is somewhat lacking in amenities; I usually bring a bottle of hand sanitizer and some wet napkins; if you spend the extra money for P1 to P4 at Firebird, seat 12 in P4 is right up against a chain-link fence; try for P2 or P3; if you don't want to pay that much then P5, P6, etc are ok; P5 seat 1 in every row will put you up against a chain link fence so I would go for the other end of P5; right now they don't show much available in any section; however, once they sort everything out then you will probably see a lot more seats open up that you can choose from. For Pomona depending on which aisle you are in, I would avoid row 1 unless you don't mind looking through the guardrail; last week, depending on which day it was, I was sitting in aisles 2 and 3 rows 4 and 5 aisle seats and I had a great view all the way down the track; if you call NHRA for Pomona tickets instead of using Ticketmaster, they will let you pick your seats; if money is no object then Pomona has the Top Eliminator Club seating. For Pomona I found it was worth getting the $15 preferred parking because the $10 parking makes for a really long walk if you aren't fortunate enough to find a shuttle going your way. I second the In-N-Out recommendation; there is one near Firebird; I'm not sure where the nearest In-N-Out is to Pomona but they are everywhere in California so it can't be too far; when you order at In-N-Out, tell them that you want your cheeseburger "animal-style"; use the link below to locate the nearest In-N-Out Burger. Pomona is a nicer facility than Firebird but you still should have a great time at both tracks. Don't forget to visit the Wally Parks museum in Pomona.

http:/http://www.in-n-out.com/

I attended both Pomona and Phoenix this past season and had a blast!! I cant give you any info about hotels because I stayed with family in California and at a friend's house in Phoenix but I also highly recommend eating at In-N-Out as much as possible.

Do you have any plans for killing time during the off week between Pomona and Phoenix? If you're staying in California for a few days after Pomona, you could go see "The Price Is Right" game show in Hollywood. On the Tuesday after Pomona, my cousin, Lisa (who I was staying with) took me to The Price Is Right. Long story short...... Yes, I got onto the show and won a few things!! :D

Also, you could take a drive down to Yorba Linda and check out John Force's shop. I was there on the Saturday after Pomona. It was the off weekend between Pomona and Phoenix so the place was a ghost town. The only people there were the girls working in John's souvenir shop and some guy wandering around the parking lot. :D

jf.jpg

Another suggestion for killing time would be a quick trip over to Las Vegas, Nevada. It's only about a 3.5 hour drive from L.A. and if you've never been there, you owe it to yourself to check it out!!

I've only been to Pomona once and Phoenix twice so I'm no expert when it comes to seating and hotels. There are a lot of members on this site who are locals and will have some good information for you.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Darren, I used to go to Phoenix until I saw Vegas. Now it's like Fireturd what? Once you go Vegas, you'll won't settle for anything else!)

There are some pretty decent hotels in the Ontario area around/close to Ontario Mills The Mills Properties Ontario Mills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Being near the Mills will give you dinner & entertainment options during and after the race. If possible fly into Ontario (ONT), its way more convienient to Pomona than LAX. For Phoenix if you can get a room around Chandler, there is an In-N-Out on Chandler road, and there is a CheeseCake Factory at the Arizona Mills. They also have done the FanFest at Arizona Mills The Mills Properties Arizona Mills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in the past. Getting a room in Tempe close to Arizona State isn't bad either, there are lots of restaurants and bars close to the University (Mill Avenue rocks at night). Most of the race teams stay at the hotels on Chandler Road. Going to Vegas between events is a good idea if you're going to drive between Pomona and Phoenix. Hope this helps, you should have a good time.

S/F
D

Closest to the track is the Sheraton. It is basically next door to the museum. I have seen lots of the teams stay there, but it is pricey.
There are also lots and lots of hotels and motels nearby the track that are not on the travel websites.
Ontario has some good choices also. The double tree is one, and some of the teams stay there.

Seat-wise, Pomona's problem is that everyone stands up for every pass.
Of the many sections, my favorite so far has been aisles 3 or 4 or 5 or 6.
They are around the launch pad and "the tunnel".

I am quite nomadic at that track and really enjoy trying different locations for different perspectives.

You can get some seats in the big grandstand, then later try standing anywhere along the fence, the top end general seats, the West side.

The top end general admission seats are especially good when the index categories run. You can really get a good look at the cars and drivers as they fender race for that stripe! Love that.

The Westside stands are split into 2 halves. The half closer to the start line is reserved. The half closer to the top end is general admission. I find that side much more calmer and less rowdyness over there.

I beleive the last 2 sections of the big grandstands are for racers and their people.

On the West side stands, the sun will be in your eyes for the first part of the day. The wind usually blows from West to East so it will be shielded.
You probably won't be able to see the motel-6-vision from that side however.

For the late afternoon, the sun is in your eyes if you are in the big grandstands and the top end GA seats get wind-blown.

Pomona gets cold Saturday night! Bring warm clothes. You won't need them for the day and will be a PITA to carry around but will be glad you have them Sat night.

Unless you get the $25 or higher parking, it will not be real viable to go to the car at any point. It's a long walk.

Things that I have found useful to bring to the track are lip balm, sunscreen, earplugs, and handi-wipe packets.

Visit the 'mater meetings too. See you there!

Last edited:
:D
The best place to eat by Pomona is Meranderas Mexican food. It is right outside the back gate and they have the best burritos Anywhere.
In n Out has gone kinda corporate and their burgers aren't as good as they used to be.
In Phoenix try the Rustlers Roost, great steaks and fried rattlesnake appetisers.

Motels are the last thing you should have problems finding around Pomona. If your willing to drive even 10 miles you can get some reasonable rates! As for Restraurants in the Phoenix area, try the Heart attack grill! Waitresses in Nurse uniforms serving the Single By-pass up to the Quadroople(sp?) By-pass Hamburgers! That I have to see for myself, excellenet Eye candy possibilities there!;)

If you have time to go into LA then the Peterson Automotive Museum is interesting; if you're going to be around for an extended vacation then the March Meet in Bakersfield will be a must-attend event on March 7-9. The preseason testing sessions in Las Vegas and Phoenix are also cool; of course all of that would depend on how much vacation time and money you have to work with. The Heart Attack Grill in Phoenix doesn't have the greatest food but the atmosphere is sure nice; unfortunately, the one that was somewhat near Firebird went out of business so you would have to drive over to 44th street if you wanted to experience it. They usually have some kind of Fan Fest deal at Arizona Mills Mall at night during the week of the Phoenix race and Pomona has the Night of Champions at the Wally Parks Musuem on Friday night during the Pomona Race. Ted's Hot Dogs in Tempe is one of my favorite eat places too. Make sure you lay the Aussie accent on real thick;Americans love Aussies and you will get plenty of attention at places like the Heart Attack Grill or Hooters with that accent.

Heart Attack Grill

Last edited:
Darren, you`ll have a great time at both tracks. When I lived in Ca (and before LVMS opened) we always did Pomona and Firebird and it was always cool to catch the first two races of the season. Haven`t been to Phoenix since `99 and I sometimes miss going there...it`s a hell of a lot easier on the checkbook than Vegas is! I can`t even remember where we stayed when we went to Phoenix, sometimes near Sky Harbor Airport and a couple times further down I-10 closer to Chandler (where the track is located).
Pomona we still make twice a year, I`ll never miss a race there, the place is just outstanding in every facet. We usually fly into Ontario, but this last trip I flew into LAX and that`ll be the last time I do that, it took almost two hours to get out to Pomona/Ontario (about a 45 mile drive). The traffic was as bad as I`ve ever seen there. Joes right about an abundance of hotels around the Fairplex, we always stay off the 10 (Vineyard exit) at the Ontario Airport Marriott which is literally right next to the Ontario airport. Hotel is maybe a 10 minute drive to the track. There`s a Hilton, Doubletree and Residence Inn right there too. As far as seating, there`s really not a bad seat at the Fairplex, I like to mix it up a bit and sit at about the `330 mark one day, and then maybe head down to the finish line another day. It`s always cool to stand with the masses at the fence too. I`ll echo everybody else and say that In-N-Out is a must do, but so is Fatburger, also El Merendero right behind the tower has the best authentic Mexican food I`ve ever had. And I make it a point to have a Pinks dog first thing in the morning after entering the racetrack. Chilidogs at 9 am....mmmmm!! Gives me something to soak up those $8 Fairplex beers.
Oh yeah, as far as parking goes, the $25 pitside lot is ridiculously expensive, but you literally drive right out of the place when the days over.

Last edited:
Darren, thanks for starting this thread, I am going out to Phoenix in January (not for the race) and was going to start a thread looking for places to eat in Chandler but you saved me the trouble. That place with the steak and snake appetizers does sound interesting.

The top end general admission seats are especially good when the index categories run. You can really get a good look at the cars as the drivers as they fender race for that stripe! Love that.

Paul's advice is really important to listen to. Most people really don't appreciate just how much fun sportsman racing is because they do not watch from the top end. Also check out the cars in the sportsman pits as well as the pro pits. Go the the NHRA museum-if you are not be a history NUT like I am, you'll be able to get out in less than a day. if you are a history nut, then be prepared to stay at least a day. I've never been to the Peterson Automotive museum but I bet that is cool too. And I'll second what everyone has said about In-and-Out.

Darren,
You have some excellent advice here already. We attend both Pomona and Phoenix every year but my daughter lives near Pomona and we live in Phoenix. During the dead of the winter, you will usually be able to wear shorts here in Phoenix unless some cold front moves through so you will definitely enjoy the weather.

My best advice is to make sure you catch the Mater meetings so you'll be able to catch these great folks in person and put some faces to names. If you are like me you will make a lot more life-long friends in so doing.

At either place DON'T MISS Pinnacle Peak Steak House.In Pomona go north from the track to Foothill Blvd. and turn west (left) and go until you see the covered wagon. And order the BIG COWBOY........it's worth the difference as it's so much better.
The Menu is printed on your "DOGGIE" BAG !! You'll need it !! :)
The one in the Phoenix area seats 3,500 people....and has quite a view.:D:D

Last edited:
Darren,
Just returned to UK from the Pomona Finals. Been many times before but it never fails to amaze.

Lodging tip: Motel 6 at 2470 South Garey Avenue is just over 4 miles south of the track. It's an easy drive up Garey, left on McKinley and you are there, and you miss the jam which builds up on Fairplex Drive off the I-10 freeway on Sat. & Sun. mornings.

Seating tip: if you can stretch to the $325 (or whatever it will be next year), the Top Eliminator Club is a great deal. The amount you'll save on buying cold drinks ($4 a time, I think) is worth factoring in for a start. Plus, people stay seated and you can actually see the track. Some folks grouse about the TEC price but if you've ever been to a Formula One race or anything similar, you'll realise it's the best deal in motorsports.

Listening tip: the previous week at Las Vegas, I went to the Racing Electronics stand in the midway and bought an AM/FM headset, which also functions as an ear muff/defender. $73.57 including tax -- great buy! Wish I'd invested years ago. For the first time I could actually hear most everything Bob Frey and the other track announcers said. Plus, if there's downtime and you get bored listening to the ads, just re-tune to a music station. Plus, if you're strolling the pits and want to keep abreast of the track action, tune in. Plus, I'll be using it next year at Santa Pod and anytime I trip to NHRA in the future. Racing Electronics attend every race and they seem like nice people too (and no, I'm not on commission from them).

Las Vegas tip: go! If you have the opportunity, go! I know people of taste who absolutely loathe the place but, in such matters, Vegas sets its own agenda. For students of the extraordinariness of human accomplishment, it's a must-see. Stay in a Strip hotel if you can -- midweek rates are usually much more affordable than weekend -- but otherwise there are Motel 6/Econo Lodge/Super8 properties if budget is tight.

More tips if I think of any. Meanwhile, have fun, that's the main thing.

Hey Darren!

Well, for a few tip's about pomona.

Like Paul stated, my favorite seats in Pomona are @ 1000'...especially for Saturday's!
1) For the sportsman eliminations it's awesome to see some of the best racers in the world work their magic at the stripe!
2) The Pro Q-4 session gives you a great seat for what I call the "IMPACT ZONE"! It is destin to happen that at least 1 or 2 cars who are trying really hard to make the show...BANG THE MOTOR at the far end! I have some incredible photo's from many years sitting in that section. Plus, you'll get to sit next to some EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGALBE NHRA DRAG RACING FANS! This is where the NOB HILL GANG sit @ 1000'. It used to be the home of the ANTI-BERNSTEIN FAN CLUB (not sure if they are still there!). Phil Burgess from National Dragster also some times sits there during Q-4 with his camera snappin photo's from the stands!

Food at pomona! Definatly the mexican Resturaunt next to the track! You need to have a CARNE ASADA BURRITO! (Grilled Steak!) In-N-Out burger...the closest one is located about 6 blocks east of the track. Not sure of the road but it's just east of the Fairplex.

While in Pomona, YOU MUST hit up the NHRA Museum. I think on Friday night they usually have a party, and MANY LEGENDARY DRAG RACERS ALWAYS SHOW UP!
I'd stay at the Sheridan at Fairplex. Nice rooms and halfway decent prices.

Pomona is always one of my favorite races, but like many have stated here, the pomona fans have the "STANDING SALUTE" for EVERY PRO SESSION PASS!!! Just have to deal with it!

As far as Arizona..I've only been there twice, so I really can't offer much advice. But I do know that NOON is my favorite time of the day....THey used to broadcast....10 minutes till beer!!!:D

But, if your going to pomona, and then Arizona, Hit up a few days in vegas...And If you need some Inside info about that town..SEND ME A PM...I'll fill ya in!!!

Rustler's Roost was a great place to eat. Be sure to go down the big tin slide ;) Here's part of the menu..

rustlersroost.jpg

rustlersroost2.jpg

I wasn't brave enough to try the rattlesnake...no matter how much they tell me it tastes like chicken! :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back