Performance (qualifying) bonus points? (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
From Section 3.1 (page 51) of the 2010 Rulebook:
Performance bonus points are awarded for each qualifying session
as follows:
Low e.t. of each session . . . . . . 3
Second-quickest . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
Third-quickest . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
Performance bonus points WILL NOT be awarded for any session

I'm Officially Confused! Bonus points "are awarded", but "WILL NOT be awarded" - :confused: Anyone have a clue what this means ?

Still looking for my member's copy of the pdf of the 2010 Procedure Manual . . . this is probably fully explained in there - :D

Last edited:
I wonder if it's incomplete and it's intended to state that the bonus qualifying points will only apply to Countdown cars once the Countdown to One begins - similar to last year.

Truthfully, if they're going to do it, I'd prefer to see it beginning in Pomona and have it in effect all season.

I think it means qualifying only, not during eliminations.

That makes sense, I suppose. As I understand it, the rule was implemented, at least in part, to reduce the number of aborted runs during qualifying due to tire shake, smoke, or what have you because it was "detracting" from the show. But during eliminations, everyone's trying to go from 'A' to 'B' to win the round. It definitely added drama, so as I said, I hope it's in effect all season - during qualifying.

That makes sense, I suppose. As I understand it, the rule was implemented, at least in part, to reduce the number of aborted runs during qualifying due to tire shake, smoke, or what have you because it was "detracting" from the show. But during eliminations, everyone's trying to go from 'A' to 'B' to win the round. It definitely added drama, so as I said, I hope it's in effect all season - during qualifying.

I thought I read somewhere it was to eliminate people setting out sessions. Either way, the cars setting out sessions or those smoking and shaking would rarely be in the running for the top 3 quick times. Perhaps it was to make the tuners re-think the "go for the throat" runs that often ended up in smoke on Saturdays................

I thought I read somewhere it was to eliminate people setting out sessions. Either way, the cars setting out sessions or those smoking and shaking would rarely be in the running for the top 3 quick times. Perhaps it was to make the tuners re-think the "go for the throat" runs that often ended up in smoke on Saturdays................

Think about it Mel, they are rewarding the 3 best hot rods each session that 'Go for the throat'... if you don't step over the line, how do you know where the line is? What this causes is not give it your best shot, it's give it your best Safe Shot...

d'kid

Think about it Mel, they are rewarding the 3 best hot rods each session that 'Go for the throat'... if you don't step over the line, how do you know where the line is? What this causes is not give it your best shot, it's give it your best Safe Shot...

d'kid

Best Safe Shot.........well put Karl

I think one of the primary reasons for the rule was to give the better teams reason to run fast on Saturday rather than going into test mode on Saturday after a really quick run Friday night. Many times teams would get a very quick run Friday night, be near the top of the ladder with little risk of getting bumped on Saturday so they would use Saturday as a test session and you'd have entire fields smoking the tires looking for that "line." Did not make for very interesting Saturday sessions for thr fans. Not all the top teams did it but many seemed to.

Best Safe Shot.........well put Karl

Thanks Mel and Masterchief...

What I'm about to say is just personal opinion;
3, 2, 1 prevented floppers from running a 3.9x at Richmond in qualifying. Sunday, it was the track from 600 to about 750...
You're in a points race, you error just on the Safe Side. And, you really never get a chance to see if the track would hold it...
And yes, I left the track after the semi's, and didn't see any of Mike Edwards runs, and only a few Pipe-racks the whole weekend...

d'kid

Wanna talk about the internet boards lighting up. Lets say they add back the oildown penalties and monetary fines this year...KABOOM! LOL

Thanks Mel and Masterchief...

What I'm about to say is just personal opinion;
3, 2, 1 prevented floppers from running a 3.9x at Richmond in qualifying. Sunday, it was the track from 600 to about 750...
You're in a points race, you error just on the Safe Side. And, you really never get a chance to see if the track would hold it...
And yes, I left the track after the semi's, and didn't see any of Mike Edwards runs, and only a few Pipe-racks the whole weekend...

d'kid

Your point is well-founded, Karl. I'm a fan who likes to see the scoreboard light up with a record ET or speed, no doubt about it. This rule limits that possibility a little bit because, as you say, crew chiefs will often err to the side of getting down the track instead of attempting to rotate the earth.

But... given the fact that NHRA is attempting to "control" speeds, this rule may limit aggression to a point while ensuring, or at least attempting to ensure more side-by-side racing on Friday & Saturday.

When one considers the TAD, A/Fuel & BB/FC's are quicker and faster today than their AA counterparts were 20 years ago, one wonders when the Pipe Racks (as you referreed to them) and the Floppers will be controlled to a point of being the Court Jesters of the sport, who almost (and I stress almost) play second fiddle to the LODRS cars...

From Section 3.1 (page 51) of the 2010 Rulebook:
Performance bonus points are awarded for each qualifying session
as follows:
Low e.t. of each session . . . . . . 3
Second-quickest . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
Third-quickest . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
Performance bonus points WILL NOT be awarded for any session

You didnt turn the page. On the next page it continues with " unable to be completed"

So the whole sentence is: "Performance bonus points WILL NOT be awarded for any session unable to be completed"

Jeff Foster

You didnt turn the page. On the next page it continues with " unable to be completed" So the whole sentence is: "Performance bonus points WILL NOT be awarded for any session unable to be completed"

Jeff Foster[/QUOTE]

Thank you. While you are correct, my original question still remains unanswered.

Jim,

Now I'm confused. As I understand it, the answer to your original question is that yes, bonus points will be awarded as you described... as long as the entire qualifying session is completed. If the session is unable to be completed, no bonus points will be awarded for that particular session.

If that isn't the answer, then I don't understand the question.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back