Outlaw Nitro Funny Cars from Australia (1 Viewer)

DAN

Nitro Member
While the rain falls in Houston, kill some time watching the Aeroflow Outlaw Funny Car series from Australia.

Don't these teams run a bigger fuel pump, etc? They have been down in the 5.40's. Wow, what a great show! One year at Wild Horse, I went to a nostalgia F/C show. Was sitting in the pit side grandstands at night. Suddenly, it was like being in a time warp & I was back at OCIR. Strangest feeling....... If you sit on the pit side stands right by the starting line, it's almost exactly like OCIR was "back then". Was watching cars leave the line & remembered Stone-Woods-Cook Mustang F/C at OCIR. Deja vu.....

Don't these teams run a bigger fuel pump, etc? They have been down in the 5.40's. Wow, what a great show! One year at Wild Horse, I went to a nostalgia F/C show. Was sitting in the pit side grandstands at night. Suddenly, it was like being in a time warp & I was back at OCIR. Strangest feeling....... If you sit on the pit side stands right by the starting line, it's almost exactly like OCIR was "back then". Was watching cars leave the line & remembered Stone-Woods-Cook Mustang F/C at OCIR. Deja vu.....
They do run a bigger pump now, yeah. With the 2nd and 3rd rounds usually run at night, header flames are a big selling point for the series. The record stands at 5.37 and 276mph from earlier this year. It's an insanely cool series. Ron Capps even said 'if I were gonna create a vision for a Funny car series, this is it, what Graeme Cowin has done here'.
Man, what I would do to have seen some of that OCIR magic on a balmy Saturday night!

Cliff -

They use a 34 gpm fuel pump, mag 44 and 6-71 without OD limits vs Heritage at 21 gpm, points or MSD 20 mags and 6-71 @ 18% OD. When I built my current nitro car, I built it to the Australian rules because I thought it made more sense than the Heritage rules. The consequence is that I am a long ways from Australia ... so we run Funny Car Chaos and match races.

Lyle Greenberg
E1 by Russell Brown.jpg

Last edited:
I think Funny Car Chaos is a great series. Have watched several videos & they put on a great show. The recent race at Dallas was wild!

Not that anyone is listening, but in my opinion I'd be perfectly fine with NHRA phasing out current FCs and transitioning to these. Run the skinny cars under the same rules. Who here wouldn't get excited about seeing a '57 Chevy - that looks like a '57 Chevy - lay down a 5.39/270mph pass? (6:20 into the video) I'm sure this isn't a cheap class to run but it's gotta be cheaper than what they're running now. One more mandatory rule should this happen - you gotta give your car a name; if you roll up to the line without one the starter will shut you off.

I've been to OCIR as many of you have. Those were indeed the days.

G'day, mates.....:)

get rid of top fuel, adopt these rules for FC, and start making the bodies similar to late 80's, early 90's without the stupid 'greenhouse bubble'.
modern body lines, but put the aero limits about where they were around late 80's.......but i digress :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1988nhraFC.jpg
    1988nhraFC.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 7
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back