Outlaw AA/FA 2023 schedule (1 Viewer)

I love 'em.....they came to our track several years ago back when Tim Hay was still with us. I'd like to see the OFA do one thing, however - no candy-ass alcohol or turbo cars allowed; blown fuel only. Fuel, as in nitro. AA/FA is a ballsy class so bring your balls and your 90 percent.

Easy, now, you alcoholics...tongue in cheek comment only. But seriously, they didn't run methanol back in the heyday of fuel altered racing so let's keep it that way. Nitro is what makes the class so appealing.

OK Carl, as an alky guy, I forgive you. heh What was that old saying, gas is for washing parts and nitro is for racing. But, it's still cool to see an alky car run aganist a nitro car, like F/C Chaos and this altered group. Hmmmm, now that I think about it (uh oh), I do remember a few times when guys like Gary Densham would put alky in his AA/Street Roadster and run with AA/FA. Also was a car called The Purple Passion, A/FA w/ injected Rat on nitro. Dale Armstrong ran the Alcoholic F/C against the nitro cars at OCIR & would go a round or 2. I'd heard that he would add 10% nitro to the engine and pick up some ET, especially in match races.

OK Carl, as an alky guy, I forgive you. heh What was that old saying, gas is for washing parts and nitro is for racing. But, it's still cool to see an alky car run aganist a nitro car, like F/C Chaos and this altered group. Hmmmm, now that I think about it (uh oh), I do remember a few times when guys like Gary Densham would put alky in his AA/Street Roadster and run with AA/FA. Also was a car called The Purple Passion, A/FA w/ injected Rat on nitro. Dale Armstrong ran the Alcoholic F/C against the nitro cars at OCIR & would go a round or 2. I'd heard that he would add 10% nitro to the engine and pick up some ET, especially in match races.
Cliff do you remember this, I was there. 1985 ADRA World Finals Spokane, WA. Johnny West would do the
burn out on alky to save parts, switch back to the yellow stuff to make the run. I too love the alky cars!

I remember West doing this. I think he used to have a AA/FA called Plan B and would do the same with that car. AHRA became ADRA and went outta business, and stiffed a bunch of drivers in the process, including Garlits. I did have a chance to watch the AHRA races at the old Tucson Dragway; also the Fuel Altered Nationals, early 1980's. I moved from SoCal to AZ in 1981 and was so glad to see the AHRA at Tucson. Garlits, Shirley, Snake, Goose - all them ran at Tucson. When Beeline closed (never went there), the AHRA race moved to Tucson and did well. I wonder if Tucson today could handle a national meet. The track is good, but hafta put a lot of $$ into grandstands and what have you, not to mention parking.

I remember West doing this. I think he used to have a AA/FA called Plan B and would do the same with that car. AHRA became ADRA and went outta business, and stiffed a bunch of drivers in the process, including Garlits. I did have a chance to watch the AHRA races at the old Tucson Dragway; also the Fuel Altered Nationals, early 1980's. I moved from SoCal to AZ in 1981 and was so glad to see the AHRA at Tucson. Garlits, Shirley, Snake, Goose - all them ran at Tucson. When Beeline closed (never went there), the AHRA race moved to Tucson and did well. I wonder if Tucson today could handle a national meet. The track is good, but hafta put a lot of $$ into grandstands and what have you, not to mention parking.
1670426846371.png

AA/FA "Plan A" West in the seat at the old Tucson Dragway

What happened to Plan B? heh Now that I think about it, West has a brother who also ran AA/FA. I wonder if that was the Plan B car?

I appreciate that; I've been beaten on enough today. 😲I'm a big fan of the alcohol cars; count me among the people who watch TAD and TAFC faithfully at national events. And being a bit more consistent the alkys often prevail over their fuel counterparts in the fuel altered events. But I'm old enough to remember watching the original Winged Express, Pure Hell, etc. - in person - and I reckon it just stuck.

This almost made me cry. heh The photo of Gary Hazen in the Panic at OCIR looks like it was taken last week.
Cliff, maybe you can answer the question. Back in the early 70s when I got drag rags in the mail. There was
always a ton of coverage from SoCal. For a few years from OCIR there was the light bar behind the
starter, what is that for? And who is the the starter (name) saw him in pictures a ton of times.
What a fantastic shot. That shot is in one of my many Drag Racing Pictorial magazines, I got in the mail
or at drug store in the early 70s.

1670515207288.png

Last edited:
I remember the starter, but not his name. I'm thinking he was starter for some time. This photo was from 1969? 1970? I don't remember what the lights were for. Above the Coca Cola sign was the score boards. Yep, on the starting line area by spectator bleachers (left side of photo is spectator bleachers). The score boards showed the speeds & ET's and had to be put in manually by the crew in the tower. Actually, OCIR is the first track that had score boards (that I know of, anyway). Before that, I'd always pick a spot where I could hear the announcer, so I'd know what the times were. Had a fav spot at Lions that I'd sit in. Always remember Steve Evans doing commentary at Lions and learned a lot from him.
Note: Gary Hazen ran like a 6.69 at Irwindale in the early 70's, that was somewhat disputed, cuz it wasn't backed up. He later ran a back motor T/F car. Had a business where he did porting & polishing on 392 Chrysler heads.

Thanks Cliff for the info. I think the photo is from 1972, looking at some issues of
Drag Racing USA from 1972. The photo below was taken at OCIR 1972. And you
are right about Gary "Blazin" Hazen running fantastic numbers at Irwindale in 71.
Gary ran 6.71 at 221 mph. The first AA/FA to exceed 220 mph. The photo is just
bitchin (Can I say bitchin on here?) the full tree and the couple of people in the
stands. Maybe Larry Sutton can chime in and tell us about that light bar?
I remember back in the day, we always stood when the nitro cars ran.

1670591351338.png

Last edited:
Everyone stood when the nitro cars ran. YEP - that's why I started sitting in the top row, so I could see. I still do that today.

Thanks Cliff for the info. I think the photo is from 1972, looking at some issues of
are right about Gary "Blazin" Hazen running fantastic numbers at Irwindale in 71.
bitchin (Can I say bitchin on here?) the full tree and the couple of people in the

View attachment 11790
What's just as impressive as the car in that picture is the crowd. You couldn't hammer a 10-penny nail in between two fans, it was that packed. Doubt we'll ever see that much enthusiasm at a drag race ever again.

Going to a big race at OCIR was like going to a Nat'l race today. 16 car T/F, F/C and "Combo Elim", the forerunner of Pro Comp. Not to mention the ET cars, and I think a lot of fans knew these cars as well as the Pros.

View attachment 11790

Johnny West still races the Plan A (or a replacement) in this series.

This is Johnny's "new" car, maybe 2 years old? I know he ran Bakersfield this year in AA/FA. Sharp looking car.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back