Larry Sutton, buddy, pal.... (1 Viewer)

Cliff, they were gone before Larry got to OCIR as a starter but those are very early reaction timers. If the very bottom light came on it was a 001 light and up the pole top the top which was a 10 light. If the top light was on and the light 3rd from the bottom was on that was a .013 light, top 2 was a 019 which was the worst you could have on that system. Wasnt the most accurate system and got tossed after many complaints of how could I run right on with a 10 light and lose to a guy who was one over and a 11 light.. Plus the timing system was battery operated and if one of the batteries was low on power it would affect the whole system.. Hope this helps
Chiming in 3 months too late but....
Mike, thanks for the info on OCIR's short-lived Reaction Timers!
It's the first time I've ever heard how the display actually worked. When I did a painting of the '68 Manufacturers Meet I needed photo reference of the reaction timer stand. Because it was in the foreground I needed good clear close up pix to get details (attached is the completed painting). So I scoured through my car magazine collection, along w/ online sources and found some pretty decent photos. But I never found an actual article on the reaction timers. I think Hot Rod or Car Craft once had a short mention in a "what's new" column but it wasn't long enough to give any details.

One more thing about this short-lived starting line feature. While there were no reaction timers at the '67 Winternationals....they were in use a month later at the March Meet! See the attached photo from Super Stock & Drag Illustrated. Behind Gas Ronda's bitchen wheelie is a different design (most likely the very first) reaction timer. This one was made of all wood (while OCIR's was wood posts hanging from a steel T-stand). Note that it was designed by Chrondek, the premiere timing equipment company of this era. Cool stuff from a VERY brief period of drag racing history!

Attachments

• Mfrs Final-James Ibusuki.png
    Mfrs Final-James Ibusuki.png
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • GasRonda, 67 March Meet-SS&DI.jpeg
    GasRonda, 67 March Meet-SS&DI.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 39
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back