Out Of Shape (2 Viewers)

The photo taken at San Fernando Raceway was the Ernies Camera Shudderbug. Had a Pontiac engine & ran both Top Gas & Top Fuel. I'd guess this was 1961. The first "name" driver I ever saw was Tommy Ivo, driving this car at San Fernando. The car was out of Glendale, Calif, my home town. I used to go to Ernie's Camera & look at all the drag racing photos on the wall. This car appeared in Hot Rod Magazine & they ran it at Indy in 1961. I think Bill Alexander also drove the car. OK, wild story; there was a long street that ran by a cemetary in Glendale, and one day Alexander is supposed to have made a run on that street in this car. Cemetary on one side of the street & houses on the other. Ah yes......:)

The photo taken at San Fernando Raceway was the Ernies Camera Shudderbug. Had a Pontiac engine & ran both Top Gas & Top Fuel. I'd guess this was 1961. The first "name" driver I ever saw was Tommy Ivo, driving this car at San Fernando. The car was out of Glendale, Calif, my home town. I used to go to Ernie's Camera & look at all the drag racing photos on the wall. This car appeared in Hot Rod Magazine & they ran it at Indy in 1961. I think Bill Alexander also drove the car. OK, wild story; there was a long street that ran by a cemetary in Glendale, and one day Alexander is supposed to have made a run on that street in this car. Cemetery on one side of the street & houses on the other. Ah yes......:)
Cliff, I live about 5 min. away from what used to be San Fernando Raceway. The shut off area is now a Home Depot. The opposite end of the track still holds a weekly swap meet. Regarding the long street in Glendale, are you talking about Grandview Ave.? The same name cemetery is on the right side as you drive towards the mountains.

Cliff, I live about 5 min. away from what used to be San Fernando Raceway. The shut off area is now a Home Depot. The opposite end of the track still holds a weekly swap meet. Regarding the long street in Glendale, are you talking about Grandview Ave.? The same name cemetery is on the right side as you drive towards the mountains.

James, I just saw this post (argh). Don't remember the name of the street. I think 2 streets on either side of the cemetery??? I seem to remember as I drove north on that street, cemetery was on the left side. Well, it's been awhile since I was there. They didn't call Bill Alexander Wild Bill for nothing... :)

Chris Morel flips the Little City Cuda on its lid after breaking a fuel line. And Adam Sorokin giant wheelstand at the 2016 March Meet.

really out of shape

Attachments

• out of shape.jpg
    out of shape.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 8
James, I just saw this post (argh). Don't remember the name of the street. I think 2 streets on either side of the cemetery??? I seem to remember as I drove north on that street, cemetery was on the left side. Well, it's been awhile since I was there. They didn't call Bill Alexander Wild Bill for nothing... :)
Could be talking about Forest Lawn drive. To the street racers it was called The River Road. Several top fuelers made passes on that road. I had heard that Wild Bill ran the car on the Golden State Freeway ( I 5) Near what would be Colorado Blvd., before it was opened.

Not sure, I found it on another site. I just thought it was cool because the driver was peeking over the cowl to be able to see.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back