Older Races on ESPN Classic (1 Viewer)

Terry

Nitro Member
I am thrilled that some of the earlier races from the late 1990s and the early 2000s are being shown on ESPN Classic--I dvr them all and have really enjoyed watching them. I am curious, though, and I hope that this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but I'm hoping someone out in Mater land has the answer. I have become aware that NHRA has to buy the air time for the current broadcasts to be aired on ESPN2. How bout these re-broadcasts? Is NHRA paying for them also, or are they actually getting some royalties from the rebroadcasts, or does ESPN simply own all of the telecasts and is selling ad spots and receiving the revenue from them? Seems to me that if we have to pay for the airtime for the programs that NHRA would have some sort of ownership of the final product. Any answers out there? Mr. Kernan, are you out there and can you help?

I'll preface my comments by saying that I have NO idea about your question...

But if NHRA is paying them for the re-airs, that's not a very wise way to spend money in my opinion. Only people who have followed the sport for awhile appreciate the older races, racers, and how far we've come...or gone backwards.

:cool:

Most is owned by ABC/ESPN... and I think they bought TNN's archives... think about who's shooting the footage... don't think NHRA owns the film... and therein lies the rub... really think NHRA pays ESPN/ABC/Disney? to film and broadcast events... and they didn't think to have their own version of "NFL Films" and no where during a broadcast do I remember hearing NHRA in the disclaimer about rights to rebroadcast... but you do hear "ESPN, the Worldwide Leader in Sports"...

Well NHRA has to have at least some right to them... Isn't every taped race part of the NHRA database that can be accessed at any time?

CJ Curtsinger

I would like to see the TNN diamond p stuff from the Late eighties and through the 90's. Steve Evans and Dmac. Diamond p days were the shit. only bad part is you had to wait two weeks to see them.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back