Old Pic...What's This? (1 Viewer)

Dennis

Nitro Member
Was reading the most recent Dragster Insider at nhra.com and came across this pic of Gary Beck. I was curious what's being dumped on the track? Is it routine drainage of some sort or is it something else? Looking at the picture it would appear the car just finished its burnout and is still rolling forward so I would assume any fuel (or other) overflow would be moving toward the front. I know at one point people got creative with VHT application and was wondering if maybe that was what was going on.

beck.jpg

My first thought is an overfull puke tank but it sure looks like fuel.

In those days the fuel tank was behind the driver seat, not much room for fuel to slosh around. I'm saying puke tank.

Doesn't look like this has breather tubes into a puke tank. Can't tel for sure, can't zoom in enough. Could be the seal on the rear end is leaking.

There is no puke tank (Breathers on Valve Covers). If you blow it up on a big monitor (32 Inch) you can see that whatever is coming out of the car bends down and touches the ground past the car by almost a foot, nothing in front of that. It is very possible that it is not liquid and is something dragging the ground.

There is no puke tank (Breathers on Valve Covers). If you blow it up on a big monitor (32 Inch) you can see that whatever is coming out of the car bends down and touches the ground past the car by almost a foot, nothing in front of that. It is very possible that it is not liquid and is something dragging the ground.
I did enlarge it to the point it was too blurry to distinguish anything. I'm saying your guess is as good as anybody else.

Piece of the chassis? Back then the dragsters had a part of the rear chassis that extended outward to connect to the push car (which usually had a piece of wood or like that so they could push start the car). Just guessing, cuz I thought it was liquid.

I liked this car. Beck "came out of nowhere" to win the 1972 Nationals; ran 6.11 back then (Jerry Ruth had low ET at 6.06 - quickest ever then).

when enlarged on monitor, it appears the rear slicks are under load, as in launch. wonder if rear piece is wheelie bar in contact with chalk left behind?
also - had a thread a couple weeks ago 'aerodynamics' - the carnards shown in this pic - i've always thought this area of car could be improved for airflow/downforce

Last edited:
Whatever it is, it's being dragged. the tire indicate that the car is still in forward motion.

What I find interesting after blowing up the image is those rear rims have what appears to be a knock-off (hub).

Whatever it is, it's being dragged. the tire indicate that the car is still in forward motion.

What I find interesting after blowing up the image is those rear rims have what appears to be a knock-off (hub).
Looks like water (Steam) or something dragging and scoring the track causing dust, to me.

What Bill said reminds me that cars back then had a line in the back that seemed to blow out "steam" from the engine. Maybe that is what we're seeing. I've seen modern day blown alky TA/FC & Pro Mod with a device that blows out "steam" from the back part of the body - I think it's a heat release from the engine.

I saw one of Roland Leong's cars at OCIR big F/C meet. They had moved that "pipe" to the front of the car & were trying to stage with it until they got caught. heh

You are all waaay off. It’s the tail hook for the cable arresting system after the finish line. It came down a little early on this particular run. This is a system we need to bring back so we can go quarter mile racing again. With three parachutes and a cable arrest system we could see 400mph runs no problem! ;)

You are all waaay off. It’s the tail hook for the cable arresting system after the finish line. It came down a little early on this particular run. This is a system we need to bring back so we can go quarter mile racing again. With three parachutes and a cable arrest system we could see 400mph runs no problem! ;)
You are kidding! Right?

Looks like water (Steam) or something dragging and scoring the track causing dust, to me.
I almost want to say it's chalk, but the only rational conclusion I could come up with is that this was a test run and they wanted to mark the path the car took as it went down the track. There's no indication where on the track this photo was taken and how fast the car was going.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back