No One Sums Up Indy Like Asher (1 Viewer)

That was quite a story! I can't fathom 40 U.S. Natls, I just finished attending my 15th in a row. IRP isn't my favorite track by any stretch, but it along with Gainesville are my favorite races. I actually did meet Bob Daniels at last year's race. I was wandering around the Nostalgia display and walked in the tent to sit down. I noticed an elderly man sitting pretty close to me and we started talking. He told me he was the Div. 3 director for a number of years and how long he was involved with NHRA. My only complaint with Indy is it's Hotter than Sin! And thaqt's when it's NOT raining!

That just might be one of the best pieces from Jon in a long, long time. Every bit a positive story about an important piece of history. He's right about the race as well. Good lane. Bad lane. Who cares? In five, ten, twentyfive years folks will say only, 'Do you remember when....?'

I haven't gone to 40, but I started going 40 years ago, 1967 was my first Indy. With raising kids, coaching hockey a number of years, and doing the hot rod gig I may have been to 20 US Nats, or a few less. At any rate, I still love the race, the track, the town(s) and everything about it all. There's a mystique about the U.S. Nationals Indy that I doubt ever existed about the Indy 500 Indy. For me, when I go, it's like a pilgrimage. I don't really just "go" to Indy, I get drawn to Indy. I hope it never leaves me.

Edit: And just so you'll know, I wrote my reply before reading Asher's article.

Last edited:
I've been to the entrance once to meet a chassis cert man with our brand new F/C chassis. We caught a few lightening bugs and only imagined what it would be like to roll our rig through the gates to compete. I'll just have to find out someday. Excellent article Jon. Thank you!

I was 7 when I walked through the gates of my first Indy (1982) This year I beleive was my 10th Indy. It's still special, you can't explain it you just have to experience it.

Like Bob said you get drawn to Indy

Well I added up that I've been to 24 Indys. First year was 1971, my dad was running A/A. After he quit racing to raise the family we went in '76, '79, then 81-2000. Went back with my dad in '04 for the 50th, which was huge. It's hard for a casual fan to understand, for those of us diehards and especially those of us who have raced or been involved in the event as part of a team, there is a feeling when Indy arrives that can't be put into words. Even during the years I've missed, I get "that feeling" towards the end of August, and it stays until after Labor Day. It truly is special, and I myself intend on making a point to not miss any more.

How about Al Brown attended every US NAts until his death. I believe he was at over 50.

There are quite a few racers who would have a streak like that but many chose to support the racers and attend the PRA race instead of attending Indy.

Al chose to go to Indy instead of Tulsa.

How about Al Brown attended every US NAts until his death. I believe he was at over 50.

I had him as aN instructor in college back in 99, it was a racing safety course. Very nice guy, and sure loved drag racing! He also was a cert. div 1 tech inspector. We had cars come by the school from time to time.

Last edited:
Jackie;
For me it's 'The March Meet' at Famoso! This year is #50 and I believe there are likely no more than five that I've not attended. My Indy experiences are great but there is just something about the first weekend in March...AT BAKERSFIELD!!!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back