No more diving might lurk in the ladder (1 Viewer)

I guess i am not quite old enough to know him.

Oh, come on, everyone knows Lloyd from Airplane: "I picked the wrong week to give up (smoking, drinking, sniffing glue, amphetamines)"

lloyd_bridges_airplane_new.jpeg

or "What can you make of this Johnny?", "I can make a bird, a broach, ...". :D

One of the funniest movies ever made.

I just went back and checked about half of the funny car ladders for 2009 races. Turns out team members don't meet that often. Some races not at all. Some once or maybe twice.
so maybe we don't let team members race each other except in the final when it can't be avoided. Match ups, except first round, are arbitrary so what's wrong with changing them to avoid cheating. Seems like a small price to pay.
OK now everyone can tell me why this is a terrible idea:)

You have actually shared the only reasonable answer to all of this.

The teams would like it because they do not knock their own car out and it eliminates this whole problem.

If they meet in the final

Oh Well, just live with it at that point.

The problem is simply that the rule cannot ever be enforced .

This would reduce how often it occurs

mike

OK now everyone can tell me why this is a terrible idea:)

Because it plays perfectly into the multi-car team strategies and maximizes the disadvantage to the little guy. With 25% of any field, if you guarantee that no JFR cars meet early on, you maximize the damage they can do to the little guys. If they meet, you know at most 1 will go on.

To put it another way, John doesn't want his cars meeting before the semis, so he gets an all JFR semis and finals. Why grant him his wish?

Because it plays perfectly into the multi-car team strategies and maximizes the disadvantage to the little guy. With 25% of any field, if you guarantee that no JFR cars meet early on, you maximize the damage they can do to the little guys. If they meet, you know at most 1 will go on.

To put it another way, John doesn't want his cars meeting before the semis, so he gets an all JFR semis and finals. Why grant him his wish?

Very well put Christopher but I still don't believe your logic will sink in. It amazes me how someone would rather restructure the ladder so all four Force cars make it into the finals as if they won't be diving when they meet there.

Here's a secret:
If any team cars meet in the end of this championship with the opportunity to seal the deal (as John and Robert at Indy) you had better prepare to see the scuba gear come out of the trailers. The exception to this possibility is when completely different sponsorships exist and no benefit could be derived beyond points. Then, and only then the integrity everyone is kidding themselves into believing MUST exist will be shown with heads-up racing.
my $.02

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back