No more Alcohol or Top Dragster at the Houston Natl! (1 Viewer)

This sucks! The only time I got to go to Houston, I was in hawg heaven. Both alky classes, T/D, T/S, Pro Mod.... wow...... Well, we never have alky at Wild Horse Nat'l event, but the very next week is the first Div 7 race, so I get my alky fix. Always some heavy hitters in the alky classes. Plus a lot of sportsmen stay over for the Div 7 race, so it's like a mini national event.

I agree with Joe, one of the reason I go to Houston is because of the alcohol classes(I love hearing a blown funny car or draster tach up on the starting line). But I will still go because so many of my friends runs the sportsman classes. Also if you don't have these classes, then why not run top dragster and sportsman. Or better yet run pro stock bike since for at least 4 riders, it would be the race that is closest to home.

Saw Lee Calloway post this on Facebook a few weeks back! Looks like I won’t be going back...
Just come to Joliet instead, moving the race back to early June could be really fast if the weather cooperates. I really liked going to Royal Purple every year, but compared to Rt. 66, that place is a sh*t hole. That's one of the few good things about moving from Houston to Chicago.

Who knows why they made that choice. It could possibly have something to do with the parking conditions there if the weather is wet. If you wanted to remove a bunch of the larger rigs of sportsman racers to make more space, that would definitely be one way to do it. For us racers, we have a double divisional the weekend before in Ennis with its vast and essentially always dry (e.g. big puddles maybe, rig being stuck to the axles never) and the alky cars have a regional at the same event. I would certainly rather be part of the event (and I'm getting tired of explaining to my non-racing friends why we won't be there ... and Royal Purple won't get the revenue from all of those tickets I've bought for them when we do race). It'll be fine, and we'll be back next time they invite us. .... and now my wife/driver tells me we have family wedding the weekend of Atlanta, dangit.

Who knows why they made that choice. It could possibly have something to do with the parking conditions there if the weather is wet. If you wanted to remove a bunch of the larger rigs of sportsman racers to make more space, that would definitely be one way to do it. For us racers, we have a double divisional the weekend before in Ennis with its vast and essentially always dry (e.g. big puddles maybe, rig being stuck to the axles never) and the alky cars have a regional at the same event. I would certainly rather be part of the event (and I'm getting tired of explaining to my non-racing friends why we won't be there ... and Royal Purple won't get the revenue from all of those tickets I've bought for them when we do race). It'll be fine, and we'll be back next time they invite us. .... and now my wife/driver tells me we have family wedding the weekend of Atlanta, dangit.
Will y'all make it to Belle Rose?

They had taken it away from Brainerd also, but put it back on the schedule after Lucas found out.

I thought the alky cars have the same number of national events each year, but rotate some events. Meaning, if Houston dropped alky cars this year, did another event gain them?

No room in the pits from all the Harvey flood cars. o_O

Pretty sure there was an article somewhere that said all of those cars are gone from the property and they took a chunk of their profits from that enterprise and re-invested in the facility including re-paving the drag strip. Now if they would just pave more of the pits and/or work on the drainage ...

EDIT: Bobby Bennett to the rescue (CompPlus)

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/royal-purple-raceway-gets-new-racing-surface

Pretty sure there was an article somewhere that said all of those cars are gone from the property and they took a chunk of their profits from that enterprise and re-invested in the facility including re-paving the drag strip. Now if they would just pave more of the pits and/or work on the drainage ...

EDIT: Bobby Bennett to the rescue (CompPlus)

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/royal-purple-raceway-gets-new-racing-surface

Ya Chris, my comment was more tongue-in-cheek than anything. Taking a jab at Englishtown.

Will y'all make it to Belle Rose?
Yes sir, and hopefully Jenifer's car darting from the left lane to the right wall at 200+ won't be the reason they have to stop racing for 4 hours again to get a drum of PJ1 shipped in from State Capital to prep the track for real....we like the restaurants, we don't like the bumpy track and marginal at best prep (and putting so much wing into the car that we ruin a set of tires every time we race there).

As long as they don't yank Top Alcohol from the Gators I am good! If they ever do that might as well fly to Norwalk or wherever....

Just come to Joliet instead, moving the race back to early June could be really fast if the weather cooperates. I really liked going to Royal Purple every year, but compared to Rt. 66, that place is a sh*t hole. That's one of the few good things about moving from Houston to Chicago.

I’d love to go back to Joliet, but Airfares are Stupid High! Over $500!

Some day many drag strip owners and the NHRA will realize what a big mistake this is.
The alcohol classes were a stepping stone for many drivers to the nitro classes.

I now find myself watching and going to the Southern Gasser's Association and other nostalgia racing groups races. Sure sign I am getting older when I start to loose interest in the NHRA!

Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

I stopped going to Sonoma when they took the alcohol cars off the national.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back