Nitrogate......The Don answers! (1 Viewer)

...I would hope the racers do not need to get every communication in writing from Tom Compton or Graham Light...

I would also hope that you would not need to get things in writing but at this point that is certainly the directions it seems to be heading. But who knows, maybe next week it will get settled and we can get back to racing.

All the other silliness posted against me has been by people who I could really care less about anyway and they're not worth the time responding to.

I missed seeing this part before. Silliness? Against you? WTH? How about against what you said?

Not WORTH the time it takes to respond?

You're really elevating yourself there by insulting what people say and the people who say it.

Keep digging.

Why do you think a barrel of nitro wouldn't sit for a year if the owner(s) of it decided to let it sit for a year? If they're saying it did and you're saying you don't think so?

Do you see the car in my avatar? The former owner of it has had about 3/4 drum of nitro in his garage for easily over ten years.

It's not whether I LIKE your concerns. It's whether they make sense. You don't have to explain your reasoning but, you don't have to volunteer to make baseless allegations, either. If you can say something, why can't you say why you think it?

Was the fuel left from the spring race at LV or the fall race? The fall race was only five months ago. Doesn't matter though since if properly sealed, nitromethane will last virtually forever.

I'm a new Don Schumacher fan because of all of this.

One of the issues that keeps coming back up and on another thread that the Nitro in DSR's trailer was Pro Nitro. It was NOT. It was from WEGO which is an approved supplier. This not hard to understand and shoots holes in that theory.

I believe the medical term for NHRA's situation is cranial rectal inversion......

I've been kind of wondering--I wonder what VP's take on all of this is? Looks to me like all this posturing by NHRA against a VP competitor probably isn't doing great things for their corporate image--I don't think they would want to be portrayed as a "bully". Any thoughts?

I've been kind of wondering--I wonder what VP's take on all of this is? Looks to me like all this posturing by NHRA against a VP competitor probably isn't doing great things for their corporate image--I don't think they would want to be portrayed as a "bully". Any thoughts?

or perhaps they like and could even be encourage nhra to act aas their pit bull. They get to squash a competitor yet still keep their hands mostly clean.

Not saying that they are behind it but its a reasonable possibility

Mr. Jannard, with all due respect, that is not what I asked.

To me, whomever had possession would need to be the approved supplier. In many states, possession infers ownership. I have sold many things before but until the buyer takes ownership, I am responsible for the sold item.

Not trying to belittle anyone but as a front runner team with targets on their backs, DSR should have seen something like this coming. Dotting your i's and crossing your t's should be the norm. Maybe it is the norm with DSR, but they sure missed this one.

Mr. Flies,
I just wanted to take a moment to let know that it is perfectly all right to have an unexpressed thought. In your case I even recommend it.

I have been leaving this thread alone since day one, but my father stated that I had to read it. And I kinda wish I had not.

I am so ashamed to be a 'Mater' today. What my supposed internet amigos have done against some of the very individuals that are the life blood of the sport I love is more than inexcusable. I feel like digging a hole and burying my head. Jim, I apologize for this more than you could imagine. Also Don, I am sorry for the inappropriate accusations. I hope everything works out for both of you in this. I am sorry for the behavior of this board.

Buzzz, nice post, I could not have said it better. I can not understand why some take such pleasure trying to put down those who invest so much into the sport they supposedly love. I do not know the whole situation here, or what was said, however, if some who are directly involved in the situation take the time to come on and state their case, that is more than enough for me. Unless direct evidence is presented to the contrary, Don and Jim deserve the benefit of the doubt. Whatever the case, this whole situation was handled horribly and shows why the NHRA has so much trouble attracting sponsors. I really hope this is resolved quickly because it could really have a long term negative effect on sponsor involvement. As Mr. Jannard said in the other post, he is trying to convince Oakley not to pull out of the sport because of this, and I am sure other sponsors are watching the situation closely. BTW, thanks Jim for your efforts, you are a true friend to the sport of drag racing and it is much better off due to your involvement.

"I am sorry for the behavior of this board."

In the large view, who cares what is written on this board, it has little influence on the general public's view of drag racing and its participants.

On the other hand, what's seen on ESPN has a big influence on the public.

The fact that the NHRA management is so out of touch with reality that they will drag their own participants and sponsors into the mud on nationwide TV over what appears to be at worst a misunderstanding is hard to fathom.

NHRA needs to treat their participants and sponsors (and fans for that matter) as valued partners, not prison inmates. A stern highly public fine like what was levied only makes sense if a participant has significantly and repeatedly behaved in a manner that has given them an unfair advantage over their competitors or has caused significant damage in some way to the sport. As far as I can tell, nothing anywhere close to a violation like that occurred.

This is a situation that should have been resolved if at all possible behind the scenes, the way most successful partners work together. The fact that the NHRA appears to be incapable of operating in this manner clearly shows that they need to carefully re-think how they are running their business.

Paul T.

Last edited:
I'm a new Don Schumacher fan because of all of this.

I am a DSR fan because of the way his drivers and crew members treat my kids at the races. My kids are fans of the sport because of their interactions with his employees.

I am a Don Schumacher fan because of the way he conducts his business.

I destest public displays of issues like this, and I place 100% of the blame on the NHRA. In no way does any of this change my opinion of DSR or any of their sponors, including Oakley.

Thank you Don and Jim for showing class through the mess the NHRA has created.

God, I love the NHRA. Wait a second, I take that back. God I love DSR. NHRA is not for the racers, unless the racers can line their pockets. Which they do, year after year. F. Compton and Light.We need a change in NHRA or a new race series. Thank you Don for all you have done for the sport. Thats thats both Don's, S and G. This is total B.S. Racers need a race series that only cares about saftey. lets have inovation and and not let people who have never had the love of racing, and the thrill of figuring out how to run faster than the guy in the other lane run what they love. Did I say, F. Compton and Light along with NHRA ? And thank both Don's for looking after the racers.

I have always been a DSR fan, and will continue to be. Don is a professional, when it comes to owning the cars, and running his businesses. I have the utmost repsect for him, and after this incident, even more. He has conducted himself perfectly in this matter over the last week and a half, which is certainly more than can be said for the suits at NHRA.

I manage a small auto shop/tire store....and have never called out an employee, parts rep, or anyone in front of others. Problems are handled behind closed doors. That's the way things should be done. At this point, I don't think I could hire Graham Light to sell popcorn at the local ballpark.

Some of the posts on this thread leave me scratching my head. And we all know what posts.

Thanks for Don and Jim for being active in these discussions!

Jim Jannard is an amazing visionary that is as successful as one could want to be . Don Schumacher is also at the top of his game and a great business man , bar none .

Both of these men have brought their business sense and money along with many other peoples money to the nhra , and this is how they are thanked . The eluding comments made by the nhra on espn is shameful at best . The fine is absurd .

The nhra needs to learn from these men as they have also benefited from their efforts , greatly I might add . Bite the hand that feeds and it will not be greeted with smiles . I hope these two men show these clowns that you can not run ammuck without some consequences . I really hope that this thread turns into more support for these guys than assumptions by some of the people that bought into the broadcast .

Imagine an nhra without what DSR racing has brought to the table , with a real business , real sponsors , great drivers , top shelf crew chiefs and pit crews , and the front office that handles what I think everyone can imagine is not anywhere close to being easy .

Thank you Don and Jim for all that you are and do for our great sport .You guys are the best .

It's days like these that make me realize, I am not an NHRA fan, but a I'm a DSR, JFR, DPM, DPR, Head, WJ, Sampey, Worsham, Gotham fan (sorry still not GA).

Come to think of it Jim, would this be a good investment? ONHRA - Oakley Nation Hot Rod Association. Even though you sold it, Oakley will always be "your company".

It's days like these that make me realize, I am not an NHRA fan, but a I'm a DSR, JFR, DPM, DPR, Head, WJ, Sampey, Worsham, Gotham fan (sorry still not GA).

Come to think of it Jim, would this be a good investment? ONHRA - Oakley Nation Hot Rod Association. Even though you sold it, Oakley will always be "your company".

Or let NHRA have the Sportsman Classes, and let IHRA grow the Pro Classes.
And while they're at it.......get some event's going here on the Left Coast.
Nitro burns the same here too!

Shoe, even if I weren't a Capps fan....I'd be on you're side over this! Ah, you know I moved over to your side for Ronald Anthony, but I have to say by what you've released to the press, said here and said to me personally at the track over the last few years....you ARE a class act!

Or let NHRA have the Sportsman Classes, and let IHRA grow the Pro Classes.
And while they're at it.......get some event's going here on the Left Coast.
Nitro burns the same here too!

Mike, comon the sportsman racers are people too, there's room at IHRA for them.:rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back