Nitro Harley Rule Change Rumor (1 Viewer)

dboxell

Nitro Member
Caught wind yesterday that NHRA is considering a rule change to eliminate boosted Nitro bike from competition.
Apparently some one got scared of ONE Supercharged bike qualifying in the top 1/2 of the field at Indy.
There are a few of these Supercharged bike built and one JUST fired it very recently.
These bike are the result of decades of evolution, and a few are pushing the envelope, trying superchargers again.
I cannot find any print on this subject but the news comes from several reliable sources.

Sounds like a typical stupid NHRA decision.
Is it? I mean, you wouldn’t let blown cars run headsup against Injected cars would you? Not arguing, just asking. In theory, one would think eventually you would have to have a blower to win. But, I’m not a TFH expert, just a big fan!

Is it? I mean, you wouldn’t let blown cars run headsup against Injected cars would you? Not arguing, just asking. In theory, one would think eventually you would have to have a blower to win. But, I’m not a TFH expert, just a big fan!
That what happens in TAD !

That what happens in TAD !
Mike I know, I meant 2 Injected bikes, then one guy adds a blower, eventually there’s no comparison. Now if you want to factor the 2 combos to achieve parity, THAT would be like TAD. Unless NHRA already has a different rule for TFH guy’s running a blower, like I said, I’m not an expert on the rules in that class.

The main issue with the Blown HDs is the uneven firing, and getting the pulses figured out.
So far (in NHRA) the highest qualified blown HD twin was 3rd @ Indy with Jason Pridmore.
We may see after this weekend as Jay Turner is testing his at Rockingham.

I wonder why NHRA doesn't run the T/F bikes that run in the 5's at over 250, like Spiderman. THAT would be a show. I dunno, how many are out there?

I wonder why NHRA doesn't run the T/F bikes that run in the 5's at over 250, like Spiderman. THAT would be a show. I dunno, how many are out there?
There are 4 Top Fuel Imports currently running in the USA, with a few more being built.
The Import bikes DID run at selected NHRA events late 1990s to 2000-2002-3 as an exhibition class. They would invite all that were running at the time.
This was dropped for one reason or another.
The current TF Import bikes (in the USA) now running are:
Larry McBride, Chris Hand, Dave Vantine, Mitch Brown.
All of these bikes have been in the 5s with the exception of Mitch and he is closing on it.
Sam Wills semi retired last year and he has been in the 5s
There are several TF Bikes overseas and last year at the ManCup Finals a bunch of them came over and ran that race.
One of those were Jaska on a blown OHC Twin ran a 5.82 in Europe this summer.
The Europeans are trying to get together to come back this November 16-18 At Valdosta Motorsports Park.

As James pointed to, The current bike class running Nitro at NHRA National events is Top Fuel Harley. Their 4-cylinder cousins aren't allowed. Harley has a lock on the current class. I wish the Nitro bikes that aren't Harleys had a class they could race in at NHRA National events that aren't exhibition only. I was in Houston when Spiderman ran the first 5-second Nitro motorcycle pass. It blew me away! I know Elmer Trett got close to 5 seconds a few times, then he died making a pass at the US Nationals in Indy. His fatal accident, along with Blaine Johnson's fatal accident, made that event a very tragic week in drag racing.

I thought you were going to say ultra no-prep racing for the bikes....they can't run on the track anymore, only in the parking fields

WOW! Kinda like the old daze of drag racing. Come to the line, hit the throttle, smoke pours off the slicks most of the way down.

There are 4 Top Fuel Imports currently running in the USA, with a few more being built.
The Import bikes DID run at selected NHRA events late 1990s to 2000-2002-3 as an exhibition class. They would invite all that were running at the time.
This was dropped for one reason or another.
The current TF Import bikes (in the USA) now running are:
Larry McBride, Chris Hand, Dave Vantine, Mitch Brown.
All of these bikes have been in the 5s with the exception of Mitch and he is closing on it.
Sam Wills semi retired last year and he has been in the 5s
There are several TF Bikes overseas and last year at the ManCup Finals a bunch of them came over and ran that race.
One of those were Jaska on a blown OHC Twin ran a 5.82 in Europe this summer.
The Europeans are trying to get together to come back this November 16-18 At Valdosta Motorsports Park.

Thanks Dick. I have seen videos of the bikes here & in Europe, and those things are fast! Didn't realize there were only 4 in the USA. Would be cool to go to Valdosta and see that show.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back