nitro clutches (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
I assume Boninfante is the primary company when it comes to discs, floaters, flywheels and hats, but who is the primary company when it comes to canons and their controllers?

Also, what materials are clutch components made in order to withstand such high temperatures without severely warping?

Our company AFT Inc. has been making nitro clutches since 1985. If you look at a Boninfante non rigid style nitro clutch you will see that they have copied ours exactly, real original right? We also make a rigid style cover. We have made over 950 titanium nitro cluches since we started. We also make cannons and controllers. The clutches (cover, pressure plate and flywheel) are all made out of 6al-4v titanium.

When you say that Boninfante is the primary supplier of the clutches themselves you would be mistaken, as many of the teams manufacture their own hats, pressure plates and flywheels. We have many of the teams that make their own titanium components, buy levers (the most important part of the clutch) carbides and facings from us.

Boninfante does however control the market in discs.

The cannons we make are made from aluminum and magnesium (the center section or housing being mag) and the rest being aluminum, except for the piston which is either steel or titanium. Ours is a hydraulic cannon, I believe that the Automan cannon is air operated. JT Stewart makes a cannon as well.

-Steve

Last edited:
Tom - another great question and a reply from one of the main sources!
We got a look at the "clutch room' at DSR (from the outside, a look inside is a no-no) - I'd estimate about 1200 sq. ft. full of disks and floaters. The cost of maintaining and servicing that inventory has got to be staggering.
Hopefully, we'll hear from Mater insiders about what their teams use.

A suggestion for your next topic would be the slide valve - believe there are two versions that operate somewhat differently. Tobler and Stewart both graciously explained how they work . . . made my head hurt! - :D

When you say that Boninfante is the primary supplier of the clutches themselves you would be mistaken

Steve,

My mistake. Which is why I ask these questions. I learn something from both
being corrected and having my original question answered.

By the way, will AFT ever have a website?

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back