Nitro All-Stars Converge on Knoll-Gas Motorsports Park at US 131 August 3-5 (1 Viewer)

Nitro All-Stars Converge on Knoll-Gas Motorsports Park at US 131 August 3-5

NORWALK, Ohio (July 18, 2007) – The top nitro-powered cars in the world will be competing August 3 – 5 at Knoll-Gas Motorsports Park at US 131 south of Grand Rapids, Mich., during the Torco Racing Fuels Northern Nationals, the seventh event of the Knoll-Gas Nitro Jam™ Drag Racing Series. The weekend will include appearances by IHRA’s current stars, as well as some of the best NHRA crossovers, including J.R. Todd, Melanie Troxel and Clay Millican in Top Fuel and Mike Ashley and Gary Densham in Nitro Funny Car.

“This will be an amazing nitro showcase, an unofficial all-star game, for Michigan racing fans to enjoy at Knoll-Gas Motorsports Park at US 131,” IHRA vice president of marketing Jim Marchyshyn said. “NHRA’s best will come over and take on IHRA’s best in the two nitro categories. We’ll also be running the Torco’s CompetitionPlus.com Pro Modified Shootout featuring the world’s quickest door cars.

“We applaud the track management for increasing the amount of spectator parking after nearly running out last season. We are going to need it this year,” added Marchyshyn.

Todd, a five-time NHRA event winner currently fourth in the point standings, will be making his return to IHRA. He competed during the Northern Nationals in 2006 and actually began his career racing with mentor Bruce Litton, who is currently second in IHRA point standings.

”It is one of the nicest tracks I have ever been to,” said Todd. “We are determined to turn our luck around from last year and put this Skull Shine Top Fuel car in the winners circle for Evan (Knoll) at his home town event.”

Knoll, owner of Knoll-Gas, Torco Racing Fuels and a number of related automotive performance companies, is a major drag racing sponsor and considers the drag strip at US 131 his home track. His family of companies, headquartered in Decatur, Mich., support several drag racing teams, tracks and events. Knoll is the series sponsor for IHRA’s Nitro Jam tour and sponsors four of the five professional categories.

Other NHRA competitors joining the Top Fuel ranks include Melanie Troxel and six-time IHRA world champion Clay Millican. Troxel is currently 9th in NHRA point standings and has 3 career wins. Millican sits 14th during his first full season racing NHRA after dominating the IHRA circuit for years.

”I was there as a spectator last year,” said Troxel. “This is my first IHRA race I am very excited to run and showcase the POW/MIA Top Fuel car for Evan Knoll at the Northern Nationals event at Knoll-Gas Motorsports Park.”

”It is one of the most beautiful race tracks that we will visit this year,” said Millican. “I especially have memories of this track not only breaking ‘Big Daddy’ Don Garlits’ all time winning record, but getting my head shaved on the starting line. I think that Evan has chosen one of the best race tracks in the entire country to hold this event at.”

Current IHRA Nitro Jam Top Fuel points leader T.J. Zizzo will be looking to pick-up where he left off at the Northern Nationals last year and extend his points lead over Litton. Zizzo is the defending event winner and was No. 1 qualifier in 2006. Others to watch out for: Scotty Cannon, Bobby Lagana Jr., Terry McMillen and Doug Foley.

The Nitro Funny Car class should be just as stacked during that first weekend in August. Gary Densham and Mike Ashley, both regulars on the NHRA circuit, will attend the Northern Nationals with the hopes of winning the race. For the past two seasons Densham has competed at select IHRA events.

”It has been a long time since I've been to Martin and I'm very eager and excited to see its new improvements,” said Densham, referencing the major renovations the track completed prior to the 2002 season. “There’s definitely more pressure to do well for Evan at his hometown track and looking forward to revisiting my old and new fans.”

Ashley, currently third in the NHRA Nitro Funny Car points was No. 1 qualifier at the Northern Nationals last season. He also holds the track elapsed time record at 4.866 seconds.

”I'm very excited to be running an IHRA event again,” said Ashley. “Evan has definitely chosen a top-notch track to hold his event at. I'm looking forward to putting on a great show for the fans.

“We are determined to put this Torco Racing Fuels Dodge Charger Nitro Funny Car in the winners circle for the man whose face is on the front of the car,” Ashley added.

Ashley and Densham will join the rest of IHRA’s Nitro Funny Car competitors, including defending world champion and points leader Dale Creasy Jr., Jack Wyatt, Bob Gilbertson and Terry Haddock.

The Torco Racing Fuels Northern Nationals at Knoll-Gas Motorsports Park at US 131, in Martin, Mich., is scheduled for August 3 – 5. For more information or tickets, please log onto IHRA.com - Homepage Of IHRA Motorsports - A Division Of Live Nation or Knoll Gas Motorsports Park, contact Ticketmaster or call (269) 672-7800. Media requests can be sent to Travis Reynolds at [email protected] or (419) 706-8631.

About Torco Racing Fuels, Inc.
Evan Knoll, founder of Torco Racing Fuels and a major sponsor of motorsports, has a commitment to bringing the highest quality racing fuel to every aspect of motorsports. Knoll's commitment to excellence serves as inspiration to the many Torco owned and sponsored race teams across the country. Evan Knoll’s Torco Racing Fuels, Inc. is the world's largest independently owned race fuel manufacturer. Torco has a full line of racing gasoline including methanol and nitro methane. Torco’s full product line of fuels and additives including MACH SERIES ACCELERATOR is complimented by SKULL Shine -- a complete line of automotive care and appearance products, and SKULL Gear -- an innovative and trendy clothing line. Products can be purchased by calling 1-800-67-TORCO or by visiting their website: www.torco.com.

About IHRA
Headquartered in Norwalk, Ohio, the International Hot Rod Association (IHRA), a division of Live Nation, promotes professional, semi-professional and local level racing opportunities for drivers at all levels. The $19.5 million Knoll-Gas Nitro Jam™ Drag Racing Series is an 11-event North American professional drag racing circuit. In 2007, the series will be comprised of eight events in major cities throughout the United States and three in Canada. The Summit Racing Equipment Pro-Am Championship presented by Mr. Gasket consists of competition at national events and 40 events in six regional divisions, while IHRA’s Summit SuperSeries is conducted nearly every weekend at over 70 IHRA-sanctioned tracks. Providing a safe environment to develop future stars, IHRA offers the Junior Dragster Racing Series for youths ages 8-17. Stand-alone events include Live Nation’s entertainment-filled “Thunder Jam” shows and the street legal racing and lifestyle event series Kumho Street Warriorz. More information can be found at IHRA.com - Homepage Of IHRA Motorsports - A Division Of Live Nation.

About Live Nation
Live Nation is the world's largest live music company. Our mission is to inspire passion for live music around the world. We are the largest promoter of live concerts in the world, the second-largest entertainment venue management company and have a rapidly growing online presence. We strive to create superior experiences for artists and fans, regularly producing tours for the biggest superstars in the business, including The Rolling Stones, Barbra Streisand, Madonna, U2 and Coldplay. Globally, we own, operate, have booking rights for and/or have an equity interest in more than 160 venues, including House of Blues® music venues and prestigious locations such as The Fillmore in San Francisco, Nikon at Jones Beach in New York and London’s Wembley Arena. Our websites collectively are the second most popular entertainment/event websites in the United States, according to Nielsen//NetRatings. In addition, we also produce, promote or host theatrical, specialized motor sports and other live entertainment events. In 2006, we connected nearly 60 million fans with their favorite performers at approximately 26,000 events in 18 countries around the world. Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Live Nation is listed on the New York Stock Exchange, trading under the symbol “LYV.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back