NHRA's List of 60 Greatest Moments (1 Viewer)

I'm disappointed that the 1992 Dallas Funny Car final didn't make the list. Ashley's first win makes the list? That shouldn't be in the top 1,000.

And if you were one of the 200 ppl left in the stands after rain ppd. with me and my good friend Matt Dillner the all Force final was anti-climatic at best....at best! That's all I'm going to say about that!

interesting i never knew that.

Most people felt the Greek's 204MPH run (not backed up) was a clock malfunction; some still think it was. If I recall, he ran the car the following weekend and put up a 199, adding validity to the previous 204 for lots of people. There's little doubt about the hydrazine; it wasn't illegal at the time and the Greek wasn't the only 'rocket man' in the house, either.

Garlits gets the nod because he posted the first backed-up, NHRA-certified 200MPH pass. But some still give Karamasines the credit for the first car to break the beams at over 200, NHRA certified or not. That would include me. A bit like the Eddie Hill/Gene Snow deal. Snow gets the credit (NHRA) but Hill will forever be known as the Four-Father.

Very subjective list indeed. Everyone's got thier own version I guess - and each I'm sure, has some really great moments. So you know me... I have some "Michigan" moments.....How about my personal family friend from Michigan - the late Wayne Bailey - sending then-tough guys Lee Beard & Gary Ormsby packing up thier truly badass Castrol GTX Top Fueler after the 1st round at Indy, with a homebuilt peacemeal car? :D Connie Kalitta 1st to crack the 290mph barrier.... and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Scott Kalitta was the 1st to qualify for a pro event in both TF and FC in Dallas. He was driving his Dad's dragster while he was out on injury

Gene Snow was the first to run a 4 second pass in NHRA history in the fall of 1988, in Houston. By the end of that weekend, Eddie Hill ran an incredible (for it's time) 4.93 pass.

I'm surprised that this one didn't make the list in 1970..............the first all team final.
70fc.jpg

And the first with a pre-understood out come... Note the leave on the 'Hawaiian' I understand Larry clicked it early, or we would have had the first 'official' flopper "Six"

d'kid

When I think of great moments is generally something on the track. I can see pointing out Coke or Winston but opening a museum, starting jr dragters, the countdown, hot rod reunion and such don't really qualify as moments

Maybe important events in the history of the nhra but not moments.

Very subjective list indeed. Everyone's got thier own version I guess - and each I'm sure, has some really great moments. So you know me... I have some "Michigan" moments.....How about my personal family friend from Michigan - the late Wayne Bailey - sending then-tough guys Lee Beard & Gary Ormsby packing up thier truly badass Castrol GTX Top Fueler after the 1st round at Indy, with a homebuilt peacemeal car? :D Connie Kalitta 1st to crack the 290mph barrier.... and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Scott Kalitta was the 1st to qualify for a pro event in both TF and FC in Dallas. He was driving his Dad's dragster while he was out on injury

Scott Kalitta also had one other milestone that would turn out to be very ironic. On his 1994 record 4.72 pass at Houston, he became the first driver to record a sub 4 second 1,000 foot time. They're obviously now common place and the race distance adjusted to that after his death.

Scott Kalitta also had one other milestone that would turn out to be very ironic. On his 1994 record 4.72 pass at Houston, he became the first driver to record a sub 4 second 1,000 foot time. They're obviously now common place and the race distance adjusted to that after his death.

quality nugget

I got 3 new moments off the top of my head. NHRA should of took maters into consideration (there's still time) to post moments they can evaluate. Who cares what the ties in a room in glendora pick.

what about del worsham i can name a moment i would consider.
1. his big bud shootout and indy double up. nobody expected that

this by far should be in it the most. doug herbert
2. all the pressure in the world final race before countdown he wins the race and he makes it in as the first driver ever to need a win to get into the countdown and then to get that win to get in the top 8 in 2007 at reading.

another small possible. Greg Stanfield
3. i believe he won indy and made the top ten in 2009 by taking out wj first round an treeing his way into the countdown.

I can't begin to tell you how impressive of a stat that is! Great knowledge!

what about:

Gary Beck first in the 5.30's - 1983
Joe Amato and Kenny Bernstein breaking the 260 mph barrier in both TF and FC at the Gatornationals - 1984
Lee Shepherd winning his 4th consecutive PS Championship - 1984
Don Garlits debuting Swamp Rat 30 and breaking the 270 mph barrier at the same event, the Gatornationals - 1986
Kenny Bernstein winning his 4th consecutive FC Championship, at the time tying the Snake for most consecutive FC titles - 1988
Eddie Hill's blowover during qualifying for the Winternationals and subsequent miraculous return to qualify an in pit area assembled race car - 1989
John Force flipping his FC after loosing R1 at the Winternationals - 1989
Bob Glidden winning his at the time record setting 75th race and 10th Pro Stock Championship - 1989
Eddie Hill winning his 1st TF Championship at age 57 - 1993

I can't remember which driver, but I believe it was Raymond Beadle or Billy Meyer running one another at the Gator Nationals. For some reason I believe it was Meyer, anyway he did a burnout and his reverser broke, since he couldn't back up he did a U turn on the track and drove up to the starting line and staged. I don't remember who won but the rules changed shortly after that.

Anyway, that would rank a memorable moment in my books, lol

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back