NHRA's List of 60 Greatest Moments (1 Viewer)

cantdrive55

Nitro Member
NHRA UNVEILS PORTION OF 60TH ANNIVERSARY PLANS

Honestly, some of these don't even belong on the list. And, to make matters worse, there's too many choices. Not a fan of how they're determining the votes.

IMO, these do not belong
#'s 59, 58, 57, 56 (Melanie Troxel first female to win F/C ranks over Ashley, yet nothing), 54, 51, 50, 49, 46, 43, 42, 37, 34, 18

Okay, Read #4, then #6... :confused:
#8, a lot of Nitro racers made their names during the "Nitro Ban"

#50... I believe there was Coke as "sponsors" well before 2001... :rolleyes::eek:

d'kid

NHRA UNVEILS PORTION OF 60TH ANNIVERSARY PLANS

Honestly, some of these don't even belong on the list. And, to make matters worse, there's too many choices. Not a fan of how they're determining the votes.

IMO, these do not belong
#'s 59, 58, 57, 56 (Melanie Troxel first female to win F/C ranks over Ashley, yet nothing), 54, 51, 50, 49, 46, 43, 42, 37, 34, 18

Ashley won at Atlanta, Melanie won at Bristol, Ashley was the first female FC winner, Melanie became the first female to win in top fuel and FC though.

i dont agree with this list. I'm only 27 but i seen alot of drag racing! How about karen stoffer winning her first? ANGELLE is not even on this list. What about Dixon's first 4.4? What about Toliver coming back after 2 years in 2004 with schick and toyota running a 4.74 and taking the whole class by storm. And someone help me with this. It said in 1988 the first 4 second run was made, I thought Eddie hill was. Is that like how Chris The Greek ran the first 200 but big daddy is credited. And Melanie Troxel got a huge snub.

Karen is a great racer but her first win is one of the 60 most significant moments in NHRA history?

Eddie Hill ran the first four at the IHRA Texas Nationals in 1988. He then went into the fours later that year at an NHRA event (The SuperNats maybe?)

Brian

If you asked 100 people to make a list, there would be 100 different lists. Hard to argue with the ones listed.

ok so if you dont agree on stoffer. Troxel got a huge snub, winning in pro mod, fc, and tf. that was a huge moment this year when she won in pro mod when it was put up with what's she done.

Last edited:
As for Garlits being first to 200, the Greek's '200' was highly controversial and most likely hydrazine-aided. The Greek would argue but BD gets the credit.

Remember, this is NHRA's 60 greatest moments in NHRA Drag Racing. If it didn't happen at a NHRA track, during a NHRA race, it didn't happen.

d'kid

Since the "list" era came into in flux here lately I've learned that the ppl making the list don't even believe the rankings. They just want someone to disagree!

Steve, think they threw 60 things out there, and are taking votes, eliminating some every week. Then they will have a countdown to one during the 'pay-offs' and Award the 'greatest' moment At P-2...

You note that the list was done by year, and each is their highlight happening of that year...

d'kid

Last edited:
they also find room for Don Garlits’ blowover from the 86 Summernationals

and no year for Lucas Oil becomes NHRA Sportsman Series sponsor, I thought that was also 2001 (well literally in 2001 but coming into effect for 2002 season just like the Coca-Cola Partnership).

Gene Snow was the first to run a 4 second pass in NHRA history in the fall of 1988, in Houston. By the end of that weekend, Eddie Hill ran an incredible (for it's time) 4.93 pass.

I'm surprised that this one didn't make the list in 1970..............the first all team final.
70fc.jpg

I'm disappointed that the 1992 Dallas Funny Car final didn't make the list. Ashley's first win makes the list? That shouldn't be in the top 1,000.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back