NHRA The Gift-Horse (1 Viewer)

parrotwhisperer

Nitro Member
NHRA allows Force to use a Mustang body and call it a Camaro! NHRA says the Mustang nose, side cove and side window have been tweaked so they have blessed it and called it legal. It is now a Camaro. They say the original Mustang carbon shell is under the changes (for strength). It will be interesting to see how this shakes out with the press, fans, Chevrolet, yada yada yada...

NHRA allows Force to use a Mustang body and call it a Camaro! NHRA says the Mustang nose, side cove and side window have been tweaked so they have blessed it and called it legal. It is now a Camaro. They say the original Mustang carbon shell is under the changes (for strength). It will be interesting to see how this shakes out with the press, fans, Chevrolet, yada yada yada...

NHRA should just tell Chevy to pack it's bags and ban all models from competition. Their money is no good there. :rolleyes:

I agree Jesse, why is everyone taking this so personal? Does anyone here think that the Alky Camaro body looks like a street Camaro? I've said it a million times, stop waiting for FCs to look like street cars, they are 320+mph machines with certain aero requirements. I liken them to the old GTP Prototype road race cars. They had the names of street cars, like Corvette, but looked nothing like a street version. But, they were badass! Fortunately we have nostalgia FCs and all kinds of new factory hot rods, like the COPOs, so that there's something for everyone!:D

I remember seeing this model Buick at the local dealership. Had a neighbor who actually took his kids to school in one.

WHYWEUSEKEVLAR.jpg

I am not surprised Force fans see no issue and other middle of the road types think NHRA had no choice but to let John run something called a Chevy. If I worked for Kalitta or the Don I would have a different perspective though. Zippy has no work to do to get his tuneup matched to the characteristics of a new body. It is the same body he has used for years. Hammer down right away. Ford designed and paid for the body. How will Ford fans take it if John wins right away in what is clearly their body? Dodge/ Toyota fans/factory reactions? Press reactions? Saying all bodies are made out of ticky tacky and they all perform exactly the same ain't quite so. If/when John starts winning we may hear some loud squawks from the other camps/factories. Some have already voiced opinions to NHRA. It will be interesting to see if this issue has legs. It may be a story all year or it may be no story at all. To me it is kind of like another controversial executive order by O. You may not like it. You may not think it is fair to all players, but what are you going to do about it?

Maybe it should read Drag Racing is a Gift. Every since I set my butt in my big block 69 Camaro I received my transfusion and it been in my blood ever since. I will be the first to disagree about a certain issue involving Drag Racing but at the end everyone is after the same effect and that's making it better. Everyone has there favorite team and stands up for them and that's the way it should be. Right now JFR and DSR are carrying the pro categories and rather you like them or not we should be thankful for all they have done.

there's a reason my friend (a P/S fan) always called them "tractors"....
nothing about them says real automobile

If this is the case, Why doesn't NHRA get one body style and "Issue/Sell" it to the teams. Then they can add whatever Mfg. decals they want to. We could then have Toyotas, Chevys, Dodges, Lexus, Honda & Jeep Funny Cars

Its wrong and should not be allowed. As Funny cars get more and more not looking like street cars, They allow this, Its just wrong.

None of the bodies really are anything near resembling what they claim to be so I don't really see a big deal. Haven't dragsters carried car manufacturer logos on them too? They are even further away.

I get that other teams might complain, hell I probably would too, but as this is an issue that other teams could face in the future it might be wise to let it go.

Someone mentioned using 1 approved design and allowing teams to sticker/logo to match what they want. That could work.

IMO the nhra is not and never will be interested in supplying parts to racers; they are and forever will be a sanctioning body
providing classes, rules, facilities and events for racers.
parts come from private business, which includes the larger teams; i don't think anyone playing the game would want
anything to change......fc bodies will continue to be produced by private industry for teams/mfgr's needs and requests.
GM is spending more money w/nhra; i'm sure they blessed this 'transformation' long before it ever became public.
actually i hope GM comes out with a radically new FC camaro for JFR in 2016; the nitro classes have looked the same for far too long;
i would welcome something different. (i.e. the '87 lesabre).....also happy to see mopar not standing still and spending money for
their new FC body this year.

I don't get why people are making an issue out of this non-issue. The actual Camaro FC bodies won't be ready in time so they got special permission to re-use the Mustang bodies.

Is there really anything bad about it?
Exactly---As opposed to saying, sorry but you have to sit out a year until a "Camaro" body is done. Funny cars look nothing like their supposed street counterparts and havent for years. If you are a fan of the sport, you better be glad John Force will be out there competing and not sitting on the sidelines.

I don't get why people are making an issue out of this non-issue. The actual Camaro FC bodies won't be ready in time so they got special permission to re-use the Mustang bodies.

Is there really anything bad about it?

So if I was Tommy Johnson and I wanted to go Pro Stock racing and my Pro Stock engine wouldn't be ready in time, I could use the funny car engine until my motor was ready? You would be OK with that?

So if I was Tommy Johnson and I wanted to go Pro Stock racing and my Pro Stock engine wouldn't be ready in time, I could use the funny car engine until my motor was ready? You would be OK with that?
I think they are talking about a body and I haven't heard about any team owner complaining about this Issue and honestly don't think you will. They are nice looking cars and are within specifications so they're legal. Some people just can't go a day without complaining.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back