NHRA Sponsorship "Activation" (2 Viewers)

clwill

Nitro Member
Bobby has an interesting article over on his site about sponsorship activation:

DRAGS, DOLLARS & SENSE: NHRA MISSES ITS ACTIVATION

It longs for the good old days of the Bud King and real sponsor "activation".

My take on this is that some people need to step into the 21st century. There are many more channels today than there were back in the "Bud King" days, and by channels I don't mean TV. I mean network TV, cable, magazines and newspapers (while they still exist), YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, FourSquare, personal appearances, flash mobs, movie and TV product placement, etc., etc. It seems to me that someone who wants to really leverage a sponsorship has not fewer opportunities to "activate" them but hundreds more. But it takes a creative person, and a sponsor who "gets it". Those are hard to find.

The only recent reference to drag racing that I can think of that made it into the main stream popular culture was in an episode of Family Guy that had John Force in it. Period. That's pathetic, and the racers with their PR people, and their sponsors with their marketing people have no one to blame but themselves for not "activating" their relationship better in the modern age.

What do you think?

Yea I agree, as "connected" as everything and everybody is now, it's amazing how little exposure any of the race teams gets. There are many people that are almost household names simply because they went "viral" in one way or another. With all the money pro race teams use for advertising it's amazing how little they really get for it.

On a second note.....what family guy episode has John Force, I watch the show regularly (new and reruns) and I can't remember him on there....would love to track and down and see it.

in the 'bud king' dayz, 'activation' was in retail settings for a retail
beverage product......

today the hospitality option is in play - IMO copart 'activates' via bernstein's
hospitality area (at track) as well phone calls, appearances off track.

bernstein's website is fully activated via
social media, as are kalitta, DSR, JFR and others.

LRS activates via hospitality for it's customers

JFR adding road show in 2011

DSR hosting recent 'sponsor summit'

Kalitta adding IHG hotel group / partnering with A. DeJoria and family

'activation' at team level appears quite healthy :)

Full Throttle? don't know
they may have problems not stemming from anything NHRA?
packaging problems? taste problems?
at the moment it doesn't appear their NHRA footprint is growing

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back