NHRA SET TO RETURN TO POPULAR VIRGINIA MOTORSPORTS PARK FOR VIRGINIA NHRA NATIONALS IN 2024 (1 Viewer)

WooHoo....my home track.
When I went to the PDRA finals a few weeks I was told there was a strong chance (in essence it was a done deal) that NHRA would be back at VMP. Of course, I was told off the record and I have been waiting for the official notice. I've been ready to burst wanting to tell people lol. I'm phsyced.

Maybe NHRA becoming more agreeable on financial terms after losing Topeka?
and temporarily bandimere.......BIR back on LODRS next july with not only a DD, but it's a regional as well. this after hosting LODRS nothing last summer for first time in ages.
yes, would be interesting to know how negotiations go with track owners for various races.

Last edited:
and temporarily bandimere.......BIR back on LODRS next july with not only a DD, but it's a regional as well. this after hosting LODRS nothing last summer for first time in ages.
yes, would be interesting to know how negotiations go with track owners for various races.
Lots of up front cost to host a national and if weather doesn't cooperate you can lose your a$$. I'm guessing VMP got some sort of guarantee on the cut of the gate in case of bad weather.

NHRA called me today to give me an $18 dollar credit for my Fridays ticket. I got permission from my salesperson at NHRA it was OK to tell others. It will be official in a week or so.

No qualifying runs for the Pros on Friday, sportsman only.

Three qualifying runs on Saturday for the Pros. Here's to hoping no rain.

seems like the trend lately is less fans friday, sometimes most on saturday, and mixed bag on sunday.
weather sure plays into this. it's a long day for the teams and fans. IMO the 2 day event for pros is worth trying.

So, is it a safe assumption that as long as they get one qualifying run in on Sat and weather kills the other two, that the ladder is set from that Q1 run for Sun?

Also, for just a fan and not in the racing profession. Is everything below TF/FC/PS/PSM considered "sportsman"? For example, where does Pro Mod and Mountain Motor fall into this in context. I don't think they are considered "pros" (although there is certainly argument for it, no offense intended).

So, is it a safe assumption that as long as they get one qualifying run in on Sat and weather kills the other two, that the ladder is set from that Q1 run for Sun?

Also, for just a fan and not in the racing profession. Is everything below TF/FC/PS/PSM considered "sportsman"? For example, where does Pro Mod and Mountain Motor fall into this in context. I don't think they are considered "pros" (although there is certainly argument for it, no offense intended).
yes 1 qualifying can set the field. I believe MM Pro stock is an exhibition class. Pro Mod is more or less a separate series in a class by itself.

i believe you could define a pro class as any class with purse structure tied to the nhra national event series sponsor.

Anything below the classes you list, to include Mountain Motor Pro Stock & Pro Modified are sportsman classes

Cool format, but why kill Friday. 1 qualifying session on Friday night and bring in some exhibition vehicles for a "Night of Fire" type show. One day only of qualifying can become a nightmare very fast if weather is involved.
All events should have 4 Qs, moving them around is innovative but NHRA events are 3 days, involve a promotions department to make sure all 3 days make money. If we are to have 2 day events qualify on Friday and Saturday morning, race Saturday night, maybe even have a bonus show Sunday when teams are testing

Cool format, but why kill Friday. 1 qualifying session on Friday night and bring in some exhibition vehicles for a "Night of Fire" type show. One day only of qualifying can become a nightmare very fast if weather is involved.
All events should have 4 Qs, moving them around is innovative but NHRA events are 3 days, involve a promotions department to make sure all 3 days make money. If we are to have 2 day events qualify on Friday and Saturday morning, race Saturday night, maybe even have a bonus show Sunday when teams are testing
I have to guess that the Friday crowds have been off quite a bit. With only sportsmen on Friday they can eliminate a bunch of additional crew required to run the show on Friday. I'd like to see them run finals on a Saturday night at some of the hot summer stops.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back