Hmmm? What happened with Virginia MotorSports Park? https://www.nhra.com/schedule/2023 (1 Viewer)

guessing $ is involved to some degree - same as why Houston is still open but would not host another National Event?

Seems like trimming the schedule down a bit has been the goal for a few years now. Not that they hated going to Richmond or had bad blood with the Franklins or anything, but one of them had to go.

So much for the rumor that Tulsa was joining the national event tour next year.

I’m hoping they are still ironing the details out and they will announce it later.
With the condensed (calendar wise) schedule for 2023 there are not a lot of open dates without creating a 3 week stretch or 4 of 5. The only spot in the schedule that would make sense from a geographical and time wise would be after Norwalk and before Denver as there are three weeks in between those races. However I cant imagine an early July race in Oklahoma would be too appealing unless it was a night deal. With having to replace Phoenix in 2024, my heart hopes for Tucson but my brain says it wont happen, Tusla may be the solution especially with the "Spring Swing" now possibly a thing.

With the condensed (calendar wise) schedule for 2023 there are not a lot of open dates without creating a 3 week stretch or 4 of 5. The only spot in the schedule that would make sense from a geographical and time wise would be after Norwalk and before Denver as there are three weeks in between those races. However I cant imagine an early July race in Oklahoma would be too appealing unless it was a night deal. With having to replace Phoenix in 2024, my heart hopes for Tucson but my brain says it wont happen, Tusla may be the solution especially with the "Spring Swing" now possibly a thing.
Shoot maybe VMP will "surprise" replace Phoenix. Who knows.

Feel bad for people for whom that was their closest event. Maybe Charlotte and Maple Grove won't be too much a stretch for them.

Hmmm? What happened to the race at Virginia MotorSports Park for 2023? https://www.nhra.com/schedule/2023
I can pretty much guarantee it was a Tommy and Judy Franklin decision and not NHRA taking it away. They probably make more money hosting other races than a national event. Sad to say that but there is a ton of cost involved and a lot of risk. I do think some tracks would benefit being able to host a national event every 2-3 years more than every year. I think it would be good for NHRA to maybe be able to rotate events around to tracks like Tucson/Tulsa/ Galot/ Houston/ Virginia etc.

I can pretty much guarantee it was a Tommy and Judy Franklin decision and not NHRA taking it away. They probably make more money hosting other races than a national event. Sad to say that but there is a ton of cost involved and a lot of risk. I do think some tracks would benefit being able to host a national event every 2-3 years more than every year. I think it would be good for NHRA to maybe be able to rotate events around to tracks like Tucson/Tulsa/ Galot/ Houston/ Virginia etc.

Attachments

• 1662478691376.png
    1662478691376.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 217
Man....this suuuuucks!!!! ☹️

But I can understand it. I guess the only bad weather weekend of the 3 years was just to much to absorb.

Last edited:
Interesting wording.... "the events were overly damaging to the health of the facility". I wonder if that means financially or physical, or both. I can understand and appreciate it though. I can't imagine the time and cost months in advance to put on an event of this size. No sense in bringing the ship down if it doesn't warrant keeping it going or make financial sense. I know they have done a lot of improvements, with the rest room facilities, LED lighting, wireless, and a new structure at the end of the grand stands, and those are just what I know about. I'm sure there are more.

Gonna have to find a new home track; Charlotte, Reading, or Bristol.

I still go for the PDRA's and Shakedown. They do keep a pretty packed schedule throughout the year.

But the Franklins are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. I wish them well and maybe they can work out something to bring back the NHRA. If anything you have to respect them to do what's best for them, there family, and VMP.

Something else from the VMP's announcement letter. It says.....

After hosting three seasons of these events, two of them having great participation and the last having weather but did include a contract adjustment, it was apparent that we would not continue unless new terms could be met as it would only be detrimental to the financial needs to continue our growth as a facility."

Anybody know what the bolded/italics part means, or could mean? Should the word "NOT" be in that sentence.....did NOT include a contract adjustment.

I'm not in the racing industry so I don't know the inner workings. Do the tracks pay NHRA XXX amount no matter what the attendance to host an event?

Sorry, I guess I'm having a hard time getting the question out properly. Just wondering what "contract adjustment" is being referenced.

Something else from the VMP's announcement letter. It says.....

After hosting three seasons of these events, two of them having great participation and the last having weather but did include a contract adjustment, it was apparent that we would not continue unless new terms could be met as it would only be detrimental to the financial needs to continue our growth as a facility."

Anybody know what the bolded/italics part means, or could mean? Should the word "NOT" be in that sentence.....did NOT include a contract adjustment.

I'm not in the racing industry so I don't know the inner workings. Do the tracks pay NHRA XXX amount no matter what the attendance to host an event?

Sorry, I guess I'm having a hard time getting the question out properly. Just wondering what "contract adjustment" is being referenced.
I just took it to mean that a normal, well-run event was going to be cost-prohibitive for them to continue. I'm sure there was an adjustment to account for weather, but if they lost one day and agreed to pay 2/3 of a contract that wasn't beneficial to them (in their eyes) in the first place, it's still not worth keeping the event. I don't think there's much to take away from the bolded separately from the rest of the statement.

I don’t know who is responsible for what when it comes to a national event. It seems when there is not a sponsor for the event, the track takes a hit. I do think it’s possible in the future for them to hold another NHRA national event. Just doesn’t make financial sense in the current climate to do so.

I wonder if the slice of the cake VMP was getting was just not enough to justify their efforts for having the event.

I think both parties will be just fine going down the road in 2023 without each other.

Now the only question which track benefits from this problem.

Jimbo

if VMP has decided it's not in their best interest to host a nat. event in '23, wouldn't you imagine there mite be at least one or two other tracks on the nat. event circuit
that are in a similar financial position with very slim margins?

There is often a list of improvements tracks have to make if they want to host or continue to host a national event. In some cases, it is worth it for them. In other cases, the improvements would have no effect on operations on 51 weekends of the year. The improvements might be nice to have but for some tracks, the expense could far outweigh the benefit.

Last edited:
I wonder if the slice of the cake VMP was getting was just not enough to justify their efforts for having the event.

I think both parties will be just fine going down the road in 2023 without each other.

Now the only question which track benefits from this problem.

Jimbo
RT66 Raceway.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back