NHRA schedule changes over the recent years (2 Viewers)

Ted

Nitro Member
Been thinking about races that are no more and what replaced them.
Races lost/losing in the last ten years-
Atlanta
Chicago (getting one back)
Englishtown
Houston
Memphis
Phoenix

What has replaced them?
Charlotte 2X

Seems like we have net loss, what am I missing?

I sometimes think NHRA should shorten the amount of races & not try to add more. Stick at, say, 20 races. Thinking of costs, etc. Also, maybe it's not such a bad idea to start the season at Gainesville, altho I don't like it cuz it upsets the traditional apple cart. I am amazed that Pomona is still a track, and had thought if it closed, Vegas would take it's place.

I sometimes think NHRA should shorten the amount of races & not try to add more. Stick at, say, 20 races. Thinking of costs, etc. Also, maybe it's not such a bad idea to start the season at Gainesville, altho I don't like it cuz it upsets the traditional apple cart. I am amazed that Pomona is still a track, and had thought if it closed, Vegas would take it's place.
With AAA basically gone from NHRA as a major partner and Famoso (Bakersfield) no longer the AAA backup track for Southern California there is really no reason any longer to keep the hub of NHRA in California except that they could never get the advantage they have as far as the Corporation goes. There is no one left from the original administration. The Vision of what NHRA is or should be is long gone. California (Which I have lived in since I was 18 years old and I am now 80 AND I moved here because of racing one week out of high school) is absolutely not friendly toward Drag Racing. The ACSC has completely changed also. It is completely focused on selling insurance and their services are an afterthought (Almost 60 year member). The possibly have a data base that shows how many NHRA members buy the insurances they have. I know they have polled members about what entertainment they like. We get ads to go to places around the world and so far I don’t have a car that can drive to Tahiti.
The Pro classes are the only thing they (NHRA) are interested in and that is for entertainment but as long as the “Members” keep paying their dues and have no actual say about what happens they have operating expenses covered. Another thing is the only time NHRA has ever lost a law suit is when the case was able to be moved out of California. Like Dillon said “The times - they are a’changing”.

With AAA basically gone from NHRA as a major partner and Famoso (Bakersfield) no longer the AAA backup track for Southern California there is really no reason any longer to keep the hub of NHRA in California except that they could never get the advantage they have as far as the Corporation goes. There is no one left from the original administration. The Vision of what NHRA is or should be is long gone. California (Which I have lived in since I was 18 years old and I am now 80 AND I moved here because of racing one week out of high school) is absolutely not friendly toward Drag Racing. The ACSC has completely changed also. It is completely focused on selling insurance and their services are an afterthought (Almost 60 year member). The possibly have a data base that shows how many NHRA members buy the insurances they have. I know they have polled members about what entertainment they like. We get ads to go to places around the world and so far I don’t have a car that can drive to Tahiti.
The Pro classes are the only thing they (NHRA) are interested in and that is for entertainment but as long as the “Members” keep paying their dues and have no actual say about what happens they have operating expenses covered. Another thing is the only time NHRA has ever lost a law suit is when the case was able to be moved out of California. Like Dillon said “The times - they are a’changing”.
Who is Dillon?

Dylan - Automatic Spell checker fixed the mispelling worse than mine.

Cut the Big Show back to every other week. Transition the television show to a 50/50 mix of Pro and Sportsman. Like it once was. If you want to see more of the Big Flop, go to a race. The Sportsman racers pay to keep the gates open. Show respect and start giving them more coverage.

Yep...because nothing is more exciting on TV than watching pair after pair of 1969 Camaros go down the track.
I always felt like Pinks was able to somehow make cars like these seem more exiting going down the track. Maybe because of more onboard cameras idk.

Now that I think about it the individual runs were so heavily edited it couldn’t be done with a live show.

Last edited:
Or worse,super gas
At least Super Gas gives the occasional good wheels up launch. Super Comp is my bathroom break, unless you can sit right at the finish line watching Super Comp/Gas is mundane.

I say keep the Winternationals at the beginning, you could run Vegas as the 2nd race although that might be tricky with NASCAR usually in Vegas early in March. If Pomona were to lose a date I think Vegas would be a perfect spot for the finals. Vegas is the perfect place to hold a final/championship race and they have never had one before (not counting the disaster that was the Indy Car finale in '11) not only could you hype the hell out of it but you have dozens of ballrooms to choose from to hold the banquet Monday night.

by the time the gators start, they will probably have around 400 cars, which includes 50ea. in STK, SS, SG, SC ......... for a 4 day event.......why? i just don't get it.
and i know there are sportsman racers that enjoy having bye rounds as it encourages performance, but goodness sake, why not have perfect bracket 64 car fields?
seems like 4 day events should be able to accomodate 600 cars.

Roger, the people who had that vision are probably no longer with us and the driving force at AAA has pretty much retired so a whole generation is now in charge however there are a lot of good hard working people at NHRA who are doing a great job. As far as the pro's go, you have to cater to what you paying customers want to see and as much as I like the sportsmen classes its not what 99% of the people in the grandstands paid to see. And AAA left Bakersfield on great terms..

Cut the Big Show back to every other week. Transition the television show to a 50/50 mix of Pro and Sportsman. Like it once was. If you want to see more of the Big Flop, go to a race. The Sportsman racers pay to keep the gates open. Show respect and start giving them more coverage.
And this is why sometimes we should trust professionals to do their jobs.
Sportsman racing on TV would be a ratings disaster.

The old Super Elim was a good class. 7.90 class, and I kinda think this class was a good start to faster classes. I think S/E was dropped after T/D & T/S started. I still think that the super classes should be 7.90 S/C and 8.90 S/G, since ,most of those cars can rrun those times w/o a problem. Leave S/ST at 10.90, cuz those are real cars.....

Been thinking about races that are no more and what replaced them.
Races lost/losing in the last ten years-
Atlanta
Chicago (getting one back)
Englishtown
Houston
Memphis
Phoenix

What has replaced them?
Charlotte 2X

Seems like we have net loss, what am I missing?
zmax - route66 - new england - bristol - norwalk - st. louis - i believe these are the 6 most recent tracks to join nat. event tour
18 venues comprise the '23 (21) race tour. 3 with two races. and AZ leaving after this year. virginia opting out this year.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back