NHRA is on now.. I will "TRY" to count! (1 Viewer)

jpee

Nitro Member
NHRA show is 3 hrs long.. I'll try and count how many times they use the word "COUNTDOWN during the 3 hr broadcast :)

Its 9PM and my count has 23 times COUNTDOWN has been mentioned :) oops add one more they just asked WJ about it...

I think they are trying to remind me why I don't look at the telecast anymore. I am tried of hearing about the countdown. Its we screwed up so we are going to force feed it to ya. I find it hard to believe that Ron and Greg are in favor of the countdown.

I know nobody's suggesting that they've been instructed to work the word into their broadcasts as often as possible to try to build popularity for it. :rolleyes:

I did not hear them say countdown once. I hit the mute button as soon as the show came on.:D

Tony Schumacher apparently isn't in favor...
Anyone catch his reference to it in his top end? "And they are going to strip all our points away...I can't believe it." And he is 210 out from first! (for now).

DLB

I just hope someone keeps a points tally based on the old system so we can at least know who the real champs are. If teams to go into test mode, that skews it and we'll never know who the actual champs would have been had they kept competing all year.

Tony Schumacher apparently isn't in favor...
Anyone catch his reference to it in his top end? "And they are going to strip all our points away...I can't believe it." And he is 210 out from first! (for now).

DLB

I caught that...

How does this scenario grab you? Fuller's locked up a spot in the Countdown, and is without a sponsor, so what's the incentive to keep racing until the points are "reset"? If he chose not to run, how would the talking heads explain that?

Not that it would happen, but still....

I keep boucing between wanting to vomit and giving a pity laugh every time they try to cram the countdown down our throats. Now I understand that they need to promote it and such but there is a point of it being overkill.

It kinda of reminds me of the mean, ugly, crazy girl back in school that the guys ignored. She startsed dressing slutier and slutier trying, begging even for anyone to pay attention to her but nobody ever did. NHRA it doesn't matter how you dress it up or how many times you try to mention the "C" word it is still the mean, ugly, crazy system that people don't want. In fact ask yourselves this, if this was such a great system would you have to press and try so over the top hard to present it.

I love when they ask the drivers about it and so many of them tiptoe around the answer. Next time through the pits when there are fewer ears and no cameras around ask them how they really feel.

I caught that...

How does this scenario grab you? Fuller's locked up a spot in the Countdown, and is without a sponsor, so what's the incentive to keep racing until the points are "reset"? If he chose not to run, how would the talking heads explain that?

Not that it would happen, but still....

I can't help but wonder if the chase is hurting Fuller in getting ride. So much attention is places on places 7-12 now why bother with the guy actually leading the points.

That must be a blast.

On another note: I wonder if the NHRA is starting to get a little peeved with how many drivers are calling it the "Chase" and not the "Countdown".
Andy, I was wondering the same thing as I watched yesterday--especially at the end when Force and Fast Jack were yelling "we're in the chase!" That definitely could be a problem--nascar may even sue!

I actually like the countdown.

Thats JMO so take it for what it's worth.

I know for years on end when someone had an insurmountable lead by Reading or so.....I don't mean like last year with Shoe and Kallitta, I mean a team showing up and just having to qualify, I was never interested in that class until the Winter's rolled 'round the following year.

I don't mind trying new things. And who knows, this format may only last for this year, So what??? Not the end of my world either way. I have waaaaaaay bigger fish to fry.

There has been so much crabbing and bitching about it here I HOPE it's a roaring success:p

Well....not really;) but I can just imagine, 20 years from now, the "origional":rolleyes: countdown format is being replaced by a .......NEW.......accrued points system.

If I'm still around I'll be getting a chuckle as all the new guns on the "Ionmater":D will be crabbing and bitching about the change. "Count" on that......

Over and out

REX

I don't know if I like the way NHRA is doing the countdown or not (quite yet).
I mean the points re-set is OK but, winnowing down to 4 and then 2 may let a bad weekend really skew the points.

I DID come to like the way NASCAR did the "Chase". Became interseting 'til the end.

(Though NO sanctioning body could ever top Kalitta vs Shoe last year!)

I am wondering if after the buy out happens will the "new owners" keep the countdown, go back to the old system or bring something new to the table?

Dan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back