NHRA Interview! (1 Viewer)

Well. I'm in New Mexico and Densy is in Texas, but that's not really your question, is it?

I have fairly solid opinions about where drag racing is right now due to the virus, but am reluctant to offer them simply because conditions are changing so rapidly. Just one of the many problems we're going to have to deal with is that our activity is highly social in nature. Let's just say that there's a race with no spectators, and the cars are pitted at least 20-feet apart. That all sounds fine until a guy pitted two cars down from you just can't stay away from your gorgeous new '55 Chevy and walks over. What if he unintentionally infects you, and you take that infection back home to your family? Your job? Your town? Right now we don't know the answers to these questions, so until we do my tendency would be to err on the side of caution. But I could easily be wrong suggesting caution regarding social gatherings and sincerely hope I am, but right now I don't think so.

There are also serious financial issues involved as well. You have a need for speed, so you want to race -- but how will you be paid for your efforts if there's no one allowed in the grandstands? Are you suddenly going to race for nothing, this after having fought for higher purses your entire career?

Suppose social distancing restrictions are reduced and spectators are allowed at the track, but are urged to sit six feet apart during a so-called Big Show? How are the pros going to be paid if only a third of the projected spectators actually show up?

The national event profit margin is far thinner than many people have come to believe, so all of these things are going to have to be seriously considered before we can get back into action.

First and foremost is the health issue. Once that's been successfully addressed we can work on the other issues.

Jon Asher

I hope soon they have instant testing that way all contestants, crew and spectators can be tested before entering facility. To me this is the only way for now to keep everyone safe until they have vaccine available.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back