NHRA CLASSES (1 Viewer)

ROCKY

Nitro Member
I'd love to see pro stock running cars classified as super stock now and funny cars being what pro mod is now. The car count would be up and to me the racing would be much more interesting. JMHO

This is something I don't get. Drag racing is a sport with a class for everybody. Yet instead of only following the class you like people say that classes should be dumped or changed because they don't like it. You want super stock to become pro stock and pro mod to become funny car?

We already have those classes why not just watch superstock and pro mod and not follow funny car and pro stock.

If you go to the Olympics to watch the swimming you don't watch the long jump and conplain about it not bring what you want. You get up and go watch something else.

It's like people saying that pro stock bike should be dumped. No it should not, if you don't like the class don't follow that class. I'm not a big pro stock bike fan so you know what I don't follow it.

I think the future of pro stock maybe the factory cars(Chevy copo, Ford cobrajet, and Dodge challenger drag pak). Let's face it, it is the only class supported by the big 3. But I wouldn't hold my breath because I am more than sure NHRA remember the pro stock truck deal. As far myself, I watch all classes.

I agree William. I also don't like the bikes, but I totally respect the effort it takes to put one of those programs together and race them. Even though I usually don't watch, I 100% support NHRA giving them a venue to race.

I love Pro Stock, I was raised on fast door slammers, but as the old saying goes, "People vote with their feet". There is no denying that the stands empty when they pull to the line. For some reason, they just don't connect with the fans. I would love to see more "stock" in Pro Stock, but if the Factory Challenge cars were that much more popular (or the answer), the stands would be full when they run, and they are definitely not full when they run. I don't know what the answer is, I just hope we aren't already past the date in which we need to figure it out and we are watching the class die a slow death. But like Mr. Payne said, there should be something for everybody at a NHRA National Event, and no matter what changes are or aren't made, they aren't going to come close to pleasing everybody. When I go, I usually watch what I want, skip the rest and ALWAYS have a pretty good time.

It's hard to connect with a carb, 500 ci car that is not available on the showroom floor. NHRA only promotes the fuel cars, pro stock car and bike is the redheaded stepchild. If they went to factory cars, the car count would triple until the $$$ teams would out spend the hobby guys and gals. Also maybe the car companies would promote the class like in the old days and make NHRA job easier. One of the best classes(and watched) is the Hemi Shootout at Indy because Mopar promote it better that NHRA.
Ford, Mopar, and Chevy have not problem selling the factory cars they produce every year.

Pro stock has not been stock since 1971 those cars have not represented a factory showroom car since the early 70's once grumpy jenkins brought out his tube frame vega the word "stock" meant nothing. It's been carbed and 500ci since the early 80's the popularity issue is a recent issue and I don't think it has anything to do with what's under the hood.

Armand, I brought up fuel injection in another post most maters didn't buy it. I'm like Chris I raced small block 5 speed cars so I appreciate Pro Stock and I know it's a Pro category but it falls with spectators like Sportsman classes they're just not a fan sport. I would like to figure out way to improve that.

If and when the current Pro Stock cars are phased out in favor of the new factory cars, the 500c.i. equipment (maybe class even) will end up in Comp.

Didn't say I didn't like any of the classes. I just hate to see some of them with barely enough cars, or not enough cars to have a full field due to the high cost of competing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back