I Never Knew Nitrous was Allowed in NHRA ! (1 Viewer)

jpee

Nitro Member
I was checking the rules...on NHRA Web Site and saw this...

"Comp"

No category in NHRA competition features more variety than Comp. Dragsters, altereds, street roadsters, coupes, sedans, front-engine nostalgia dragsters, sport compact cars, and trucks race in 87 classes. The engine combinations are just as diverse as the vehicles, from turbocharged four- and six-cylinder engines to Pro Stock-style *V-8s

and nitrous-oxide-equipped mountain motors.

Most cars are classified using a formula that divides total car weight by cubic inches. Each class is assigned an index based on what a well-built car should run, and races are handicapped according to those indexes."

I never knew NO2 was allowed in ANY Class Except Pro Mod! And thay is only an exibition calss (as of now) Infact I don't think NO2 is even allowed in the "Super Classes" & I have never seen ANY Comp car with it..

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong ?

AA/PM is a category in Comp.

Looking through the rulebook AA/PM is for the supercharged cars and A/PM is for the nitrous cars. I don't believe anyone has run A/PM though. If they have it hasn't been recently. Index is .25 slower (7.05 vs 6.80) than AA/PM and there is no national record for it.

Art Hodges has run A/PM at 5 national events so far this year, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Atlanta, St. Louis and Topeka.

Art Hodges has run A/PM at 5 national events so far this year, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Atlanta, St. Louis and Topeka.

I didn't see him on the Vegas list and don't remember seeing him there (I went to that one so if I didn't notice him there I will really feel like a fool), but you are certainly right about the other ones. Even ran .62 under in St. Louis. I guess I need new glasses.

Last edited:
He got 10 points at Vegas, so he must have teched, but it doesn't appear that he ever made a run. I just went off the points breakdown at nhra.com.

Looking through the rulebook AA/PM is for the supercharged cars and A/PM is for the nitrous cars. I don't believe anyone has run A/PM though. If they have it hasn't been recently. Index is .25 slower (7.05 vs 6.80) than AA/PM and there is no national record for it.

Very interesting !! I never knew that... In Pro Mod the blower cars usually do better than the NO2 cars.. but I don't know the weight & CI rules for each...

Same for Alcohol Dragster. you can have a blown Alky or a Nitro (NA) IMO if the Nitro car is running right and don't put out any holes.. it "usually" will run better than the Blown car... (just an opinion)

I'm guessing that in Comp thats why more guys don't run NO2... (I've never seen ANY car run it in Comp.. & I DO follow Comp... There has to be a reason...

Personally I'm not a NO2 fan, and if I did have the $$ I would go supercharged as opposed to NO2...

Randy Hagerty did too. In fact he took both his Pro Mod Corvettes to Indy in 2004 or thereabouts, and we tried to qualify one in Comp and one in Pro Mod. Nitrous Pro Mod cars were still kinda competitive then, but the blown cars were starting to dominate.

Last edited:
Have you heard of a class called Pro Stock? :)

Oh yea its not legal there.

I never knew NO2 was allowed in ANY Class Except Pro Mod! And thay is only an exibition calss (as of now) Infact I don't think NO2 is even allowed in the "Super Classes" & I have never seen ANY Comp car with it..

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong ?

I saw Hodges run in comp at Topeka-I had to try to explain to a "newbie" with me why he was running in Comp and not with the other Pro Mods--he was way impressed watching the car run...doesn't Jay Payne run his Pro Mod in Comp once in a while when Pro Mods aren't running at an event?

By the way, the Pro Mod show at Topeka was fantastic--a real crowd pleaser. Not meaning to be a "bike hater" (far from it--my son is a motocrosser, I have ridden a motorcycle most all my life, and I attend and enjoy several different motorcycle racing events), but it is beyond me why the bikes remain a full fledged pro class and the Pro Mods are still "exhibition". If we need to keep the bikes, maybe they should be the exhibition class and the Pro Mods become one of the 4 pro classes?

It sure seems like the fans exit the stands when the bikes come up to run but head for the stands when the Pro Mods are ready to run. I am a motorcycle racing fan also, but it's always seemed to me that PSM doesn't really belong at a car race...when I go to an AMA event (knee-draggers, motocross, supercross, etc.) I don't see them running any cars there, mainly because if you go to a bike race, you want to see bikes run, and if you go to a car race, you want see cars run.

I realize this has been gone over many times in detail before, but just felt like tossing in my two cents worth. I was very impressed with the show the pro mods put on at Topeka, and since it was the first time they have been on the schedule at Topeka, I was really interested to see the fan reaction to them as many in attendance had never seen pro mods run. They really created a buzz and a lot of questions among the spectators, and the pro mod teams themselves were GREAT with the fans. The pro mod cars at Topeka were real works of art also---ultra clean and detailed race cars.

Sorry for the derailment--now back to your regularly scheduled topic

I saw Hodges run in comp at Topeka-I had to try to explain to a "newbie" with me why he was running in Comp and not with the other Pro Mods--he was way impressed watching the car run...doesn't Jay Payne run his Pro Mod in Comp once in a while when Pro Mods aren't running at an event?

Yes he has done it a couple of times. Had the quickest Comp run ever until Jirka Kaplan destroyed the AA/AM record last year (I really hope he gets that thing back together and puts it in the 5s). The .5 second full tree seems to give a lot of the pro mod guys trouble though. I also see the AA/PM index got hit .08 earlier this year.

Very interesting !! I never knew that... In Pro Mod the blower cars usually do better than the NO2 cars.. but I don't know the weight & CI rules for each...

Not sure how the Pro Mod Pro Mod rules differ from the Comp Pro Mod rules, but the comp rules are max 820 CI and 2425 minimum weight for nitrous and 527 CI max CI (650 CI for a turbo) and 2725 minimum weight.

Not sure how the Pro Mod Pro Mod rules differ from the Comp Pro Mod rules, but the comp rules are max 820 CI and 2425 minimum weight for nitrous and 527 CI max CI (650 CI for a turbo) and 2725 minimum weight.

Thanks for clearing that up.. I knew there was a different size engine for NO2 and Supercharger, & Turbo, but did not know how much difference there was ...

Just for the record guys, I believe it's "N2O", not NO2.. Been around this stuff since I left Nitromethane years ago...

Long ago it was LEGAL in Top Fuel & Funny Car......I thing to cool the hot air coming from the supercharger.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back