NHRA Approves New Camaro for Pro Stock (1 Viewer)

I could be wrong (often am) but from what I've seen of Pat Musi's FI setups, there will still need to be a large scoop as the FI throttle bodies are mounted on tall tunnel ram type sheet metal manifolds. It seems like the FI would still need the additional air flow afforded by the hood scoop and the additional space the scoop provides to house the height of the manifold.

Like I said, I could be wrong, and if anyone has more accurate info please join in, but my guess is even if we go to EFI in PS, the hood scoops in some form or another would still have to be present.

I have no issue with aero mods. I do have issue with cars that have as much in common with the production version as early funny cars did. How cool would it be to see a Camaro, Mustang or Challenger that wasn't an aerodynamic blob...

Maybe NHRA needs to take a step forward and back at the same time. EFI with Stock appearing bodies...

Just being the voice of reason-and stating the obvious (although as a fan I think it would be great) someone in the big 3 is gonna be 3rd-and after getting whopped again + again, may decide to not continue with ($ -wind tunnel-engines etc.) support.

I'll second that!!!

They could not use the stock dimensions of these cars, longer wheel base and aero is needed because of the MPH they're running. Cars would be very hard to handle and dangerous, currently with as many passes they make with current cars there has been very few accidents on the track.

Pretty much what I was trying to say Jesse. There will be plenty of the new muscle cars, with original bodies, in Stock & SS, and also the new ADRL headsup class.

They could not use the stock dimensions of these cars, longer wheel base and aero is needed because of the MPH they're running. QUOTE]

It's because of the areo body mods that they are running the big MPH.

I agree with you on that Paul, its more on handling at those speeds with stock dimensions. I heard Larry Larsen say that his NOVA would run another 10 to 15 MPH but the stock body style makes is almost out of control at 200 MPH.

It's a given that they can't run the current speeds without the aero mods to the bodies. The question becomes do they continue to allow aero mods to the bodies which take them farther away from stock appearing bodies or should NHRA make them run bodies that are closer to stock dimensions and slow the cars down? They're already having lack of downforce issues in the current configuration, which makes the cars pretty scary at the speeds they're running now. I'd rather see something closer to stock dimensions, with a little lengthening and aero, running a little slower myself. Leave the radical bodies to Pro Mod.

The new P/S car bodies are definitely 21st century. So, why are they still mandated to use carburetors?
EFI would allow them to get rid of that big ugly hood scoop as well.

People keep saying that, but the scoops would not change much, if at all. Maybe a little shorter, but you still need the runners, and EFI throttle Bodies are almost as tall as carbs most of the time.

It's a given that they can't run the current speeds without the aero mods to the bodies. The question becomes do they continue to allow aero mods to the bodies which take them farther away from stock appearing bodies or should NHRA make them run bodies that are closer to stock dimensions and slow the cars down? They're already having lack of downforce issues in the current configuration, which makes the cars pretty scary at the speeds they're running now. I'd rather see something closer to stock dimensions, with a little lengthening and aero, running a little slower myself. Leave the radical bodies to Pro Mod.
Agreed 100%

Good to see the GM teams committing to the new Camaro. The current Pontiac body is butt ugly & I won't miss them.

People keep saying that, but the scoops would not change much, if at all. Maybe a little shorter, but you still need the runners, and EFI throttle Bodies are almost as tall as carbs most of the time.

I've seen it mentioned that the current hood scoops cost the cars the equivalent of 80 HP because of the extra aero drag.

The greater flexibility of EFI systems would allow the teams to trade off reducing this aero drag versus some HP loss from a shorter and less straight than optimum intake system and it would be interesting to see where this tradeoff ended up.

I've seen it mentioned that the current hood scoops cost the cars the equivalent of 80 HP because of the extra aero drag.

I've seen that too, Paul. But it seems like I remember also reading an interview where WJ said that the aero loss was all but made back up by the benefit of the "ram air" effect the scoops gave to the engine. I might be remembering it wrong, but I think he said it was basically a wash.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back