New look for NHRA Pro Stock Camaro SS (1 Viewer)

this should have been the new look...

weight.jpg

Looks a lot like the Bernsteins ugly-assed Buick that was deemed too radical for Funny Car. Now that's the face of a class with "stock" in the title. It's almost like NHRA isn't even trying any more with this class.

Last edited:

“Our goal was to minimize aerodynamic drag within the NHRA guidelines and incorporate as many design cues from the production car,” said John Mack, Chevrolet Camaro exterior design manager. “The result is a sleeker and more aerodynamic Camaro SS.”

Looks like a wind tunnel ONLY body style. How does this car relate to anything that can be found at a dealership? In 2016 NHRA got rid of the hood scoop. Really? They just put the opening at the rear of the hood.

NHRA and the car makers are getting too far away from a stock looking car. Pro STOCK... not Pro Radical or Pro You Can't Relate To This. I have lost most of my interest in PS (about 90%). This will probably seal the deal. Maybe they see a threat from Pro Mod and are trying to compete?

I doubt it has anything to do with a threat from PM. It's an evolution that has been taking place for decades. I get why they look this way. They are running 215 MPH within certain parameters. Same way FC bodies look the way they do, they are moving at 100MPH in a second. I have a bigger concern with 14/16 cars in a field all being Camaros. Top Alcohol FC is actually almost the same. And I thought the Mustang and Monte Carlo bodies were actually better looking in their alky iteration, but apparently the current Camaro is the fastest. So, who's not going to run what's fastest?

well good, the new challenger and mustang 2017 PS's must be rite around the corner :rolleyes:

“Our goal was to minimize aerodynamic drag within the NHRA guidelines and incorporate as many design cues from the production car,” said John Mack, Chevrolet Camaro exterior design manager. “The result is a sleeker and more aerodynamic Camaro SS.”

Looks like a wind tunnel ONLY body style. How does this car relate to anything that can be found at a dealership? In 2016 NHRA got rid of the hood scoop. Really? They just put the opening at the rear of the hood.

^^^^ THIS.

It's like they started with an aerodynamically ideal body and then threw a few "design cues" at it to make NHRA happy and for it to nominally represent a Camaro. Normally the procedure is to see what tweaks to a stock body are acceptable to the sanctioning body.... just sayin'

Last edited:
Just kill the class! If they went to stock blocks, heads and intakes (unlimited mods), they would slow down enough to use stock body shapes which would probably bring back other manufactures. Maybe they just don't care?!

So, a Pro Stock running 6.5et 215mph needs space age aerodynamics but
a Pro Mod running 5.8et 245mph can actually LOOK like a 55 Chevy and have no problems doing it?
I understand in Pro Stock they say it is a safety issue so does that make Pro Mod unsafe?

I donno, the average Pro Mod looks pretty heavily tweaked to me. Plus, they do seem to be a bit touchier, handling-wise.

Will be interesting to see what the new Camaro body really looks like, but I don't think the General is going to release real images of the new car at this point. Although I think they could've gotten a better render, I prefer the version I made almost a year and a half ago:
http://www.nitromater.com/threads/n...sed-in-denver-today.38467/page-4#post-346451"
But then again I'm kinda biased. :D

Comp Plus has a few shots of Manzo's new Camaro:
http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...1-from-jerry-bickel-race-cars-for-frank-manzo
Looks like a heavily massaged 2014 body to me.

Pro Mod is an even further deviation from production cars than Pro Stock. Look at Manzo's new Camaro from the Comp Plus link, now find a brand new 2017 Camaro off the production line that has any similarity. Posting images of old Pro Mods is kind of a weak argument; those cars were built a long time ago. I can post images of old Pro Stock cars, but what exactly does that prove? That Pro Stock used to look more like production cars.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back