NHRA Approves New Camaro for Pro Stock (1 Viewer)

Great News. The NHRA is a little late on approving, but it will be good. Now with Tony P jumping to Toyota, as far as Funny Car Bodies GM is gonna have MAYBE a handful of Impalas still out there. They should do something.

few years ago when GM dominated factory support did you ever think we'd
see what we are seeing today?....i didn't.

nice to see that GM evidently did contribute to the camaro coming to
fruition in PS

The new Challenger has the aerodynamics of a brick. That's probably why it isn't being used.

probably not much worse the the Camaro is stock form...notice how much narrower (looking) the P/S version than the street version?

all three of the new pony cars are BIG and probably not aerodynamic enough to compete with the FWD based cars in P/S now without serious changes...I would have thought the best way to deal with it that would be to give some sort of advantage to bigger cars. That way the P/S cars based on the current production pony cars might be more original looking and maybe the manufacturers would be more willing to get involved...but [shrug]

Hmmm

Here's a thought have them use stock dim bodies since all three are bricks...

Pro Stock: Early 70's funny cars with carbs...:rolleyes:

I think it's great. And as far as looking like the originals, well I guess the faster the class, the less likely the cars can be close to stock. That's why it's great to see the new muscle cars in Stock & SS. Pro Stockers are running 6.50s at 210-212, so you have to expect aero mods. Funny Cars are running 270+ to the 1/8, and obviously cars moving that fast can never really look like production cars.

The new P/S car bodies are definitely 21st century. So, why are they still mandated to use carburetors?
EFI would allow them to get rid of that big ugly hood scoop as well.

The new P/S car bodies are definitely 21st century. So, why are they still mandated to use carburetors?
EFI would allow them to get rid of that big ugly hood scoop as well.

Part of me agrees, but at the same time Pro Stock has always meant tunnel ram type manifolds, big dominator carbs, and a big honking hood scoop.

I think it's great. And as far as looking like the originals, well I guess the faster the class, the less likely the cars can be close to stock. That's why it's great to see the new muscle cars in Stock & SS. Pro Stockers are running 6.50s at 210-212, so you have to expect aero mods. Funny Cars are running 270+ to the 1/8, and obviously cars moving that fast can never really look like production cars.

I have no issue with aero mods. I do have issue with cars that have as much in common with the production version as early funny cars did. How cool would it be to see a Camaro, Mustang or Challenger that wasn't an aerodynamic blob...

Maybe NHRA needs to take a step forward and back at the same time. EFI with Stock appearing bodies...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back