New FC Header Rule in '18 (1 Viewer)

So, all the records set in 2017 should have an * after it and should read

* "This record was set using experimental parts"

The angle degree was a minimum, and there were teams last year that were changing the angle degree upward in time for the fall Charlotte race.

Being in Denver with the air being thin, One would think to change the header angle to compensate but I guess a few chassis will tell you otherwise.

Why not angle the pipes forward and exit just behind the front wheel opening? Looks like you could move the center of pressure at least ten inches up front, gain downforce on the front end and still have the same swept back angle. Seems rather simple. No?

After some more thought... how much rear tire downforce would be given up by doing this?

Last edited:
I'm surprised someone has sent 2 pipes straight out the back for 100% pure push. Fire blasting everywhere

Records don't really mean anything anymore.

Not since the advent of 1000' racing. 60 years of history flushed down the drain, and now the NHRA media guide doesn't even list quarter mile records. Revisionist history I guess. /rant

Regarding the header rule, it's probably good, but I kind of liked TJ's view.

David Keech said:
Records don't really mean anything anymore.

Not since the advent of 1000' racing. 60 years of history flushed down the drain, and now the NHRA media guide doesn't even list quarter mile records. Revisionist history I guess. /rant

Regarding the header rule, it's probably good, but I kind of liked TJ's view.

I think David meant records didn't mean anything in regards to Record Bonus Points being eliminated.

PJ, i said this too a while back, and the response was something to the effect, way too much heat in the seat
Top Fuel bikes (not TF Harley's) run their exhausts right under the seats without any problems.

Attachments

• _AA38650.jpg
    _AA38650.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
At one time in the 1950's, there was a car called the Speed Sport, modified roadster. All glass body, rear engined, short wheelbase, and all 8 exhausts ran out the back of the car. Car ran both unblown & blown, and at one time held the record as the fastest car in drag racing, regardless of class. That car compared to today's cars is apples & oranges, but you gotta wonder how much the exhaust system contributed to the cars' speed. If you did that with a modern day T/F or F/C, it would almost be like jet assist, provided the cars would go straight. Just a wild hair thought but does make you wonder why someone hasn't tried that. I think the current F/C headers are giving close to the same effect w/o giving up downforce. Gary Beck tried headers on his T/F car that were kinda giving the same effect, but the car had a tendency to get out of shape because of it.

Plumbing funny car headers out the back of the car, aside from being impractical from a space aspect, would be ridiculously heavy.

Drag racing - isn't it supposed to be about building the better mousetrap and going faster than the car in the other lane? I am totally with TJ Jr on this... let 'em race and if the car's too difficult to drive, put someone in it that can handle the power. It's not supposed to be easy.

Even with a slight change in header angles next year, I don't think FCs will be "easy" to drive.

At one time in the 1950's, there was a car called the Speed Sport, modified roadster. All glass body, rear engined, short wheelbase, and all 8 exhausts ran out the back of the car. Car ran both unblown & blown, and at one time held the record as the fastest car in drag racing, regardless of class. That car compared to today's cars is apples & oranges, but you gotta wonder how much the exhaust system contributed to the cars' speed. If you did that with a modern day T/F or F/C, it would almost be like jet assist, provided the cars would go straight. Just a wild hair thought but does make you wonder why someone hasn't tried that. I think the current F/C headers are giving close to the same effect w/o giving up downforce. Gary Beck tried headers on his T/F car that were kinda giving the same effect, but the car had a tendency to get out of shape because of it.
I got to see that car run at Cordova a couple times in the past 10 years.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back