New caddy CTS-V official specs out: M5 and E63 who? (1 Viewer)

As far as I'm concerned, VW produces junk. We fix way to many of them, especially Beetles.

They have so many control modules that it's a real pain to diag those Beetles. Thankfully, we only have one customer with a Beetle, and she has a knack for running over curbs and tearing up the air dam and facia.

They have so many control modules that it's a real pain to diag those Beetles. Thankfully, we only have one customer with a Beetle, and she has a knack for running over curbs and tearing up the air dam and facia.

I have a lady who has tore her air dam off several times. And even changing a light bulb on the things are a pain.

I have a '03 VW Jetta with a 1.8T and I have not had 1 second of trouble with it. Previous car was a '96 Vette with the LT4 and it was ALWAYS in need of one repair or another, particularly tire pressure sensors and fuel pressure regulators.

If I may throw more gasoline on the fire ... anyone who buys the Caddy over the M5 is either brain dead or over the age of 60.

PS Alan ... air cooled Porsches are cool. A good friend of mine has a '77 Carerra RS, and it the easiest car to maintain and way fun to drive.

Last edited:
I have a '03 VW Jetta with a 1.8T and I have not had 1 second of trouble with it. Previous car was a '96 Vette with the LT4 and it was ALWAYS in need of one repair or another, particularly tire pressure sensors and fuel pressure regulators.

If I may throw more gasoline on the fire ... anyone who buys the Caddy over the M5 is either brain dead or over the age of 60.

PS Alan ... air cooled Porsches are cool. A good friend of mine has a '77 Carerra RS, and it the easiest car to maintain and way fun to drive.

Well I guess I'm braindead then. :rolleyes:

BTW there was an old joke about Jaguars that can now apply to BMWs and Benzes: "When you buy one, you need to buy two, one as a main and one as a backup when your main one is always in the shop!"

Chris, you got a good Jetta, we work on a lot of them here. And who's to say it's not the car owners lack of maintenance that contributes to the problems, or at least some of them.

And Sam, we have a customer with a 2000 Jag S-type, and the car is a pile....we generally prefer not to repair to much Euro stuff, but he's been a long time customer, and it really is nothing more than a glorified Ford...

Well I guess I'm braindead then.

We already knew that Sam. ZING.

All kidding aside, it really is personal preference. If I had 100K to spend on a car, I would buy neither the M5 nor the Caddy ... I would buy an Audi R8.

Alan, my maintenance standards are pretty lax on the Jetta ... I change the oil every 7500 miles (Red Line Synthetic, Bosch filter) and I keep 91 octane in the tank ... then I keep my foot on the mat and turbo spooled up (only way to make it go)!!!

EDIT: The old Jaguar joke I heard was:

Q: "How do you get a Jag to stop leaking oil?"
A: "Trade it in on a Chevy."

Well I guess I'm braindead then. :rolleyes:

Not so much braindead as my guess of being inexperienced. You really can't pick a car based on price, and what you see on the website, you gotta look at them, drive them, etc.

In my opinion, the car's gotta turn you on when you turn it on. Specs and brochures don't mean too much when you get in the car and take it for a spin.

A few years ago we were looking at a toterhome that was powered by Mercedes engines (I forget the model) and the price was about $25K higher but the performance specs, the seating arangements looked great on paper, compared to the CAT we have, but when we went and looked on it, it just wasn't what we wanted. Had we chosen the car just on specs, I'm pretty confident we wouldn't be as happy as we are with the toter that we have.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back