Nancy Matter Racing in the Austin Newspaper (1 Viewer)

Hey Nancy, a bit of history for ya! Did you know that there used to be a drag strip there in Oak Hill? WAY back there was a track I believe near the old "convict hill restaurant" as you come into Oak Hill before the "Y". You can still see part of the strip over to the right of 290 near a cross street (sorry the street name doesnt come to mind).

Oh Really?

They closed it WAY TOO SOON LOL

Thanks for the history lesson, I'm going to have to go find it.

Yep, we've been to the Continental many times and it's of that vibe for sure.

We've only been here for 9 months, so still learning the area etc......for living here, for music, I've been coming here for the last 6 years or more.

SXSW is coming too, (about 150,000 artists and another 100K music industry people from all over the world for a conference and showcases for those who aren't familiar with it)
Congrats on the good ink. Any pub is good pub but front page pub is AWESOME!

SXSW is a real hoot. I played it back in '92 back when I still had visions of being a rock star, lol! At the time we had a decent-sounding disc on a tiny label that had garnered some attention on the college charts around the country. Oddly enough the multi-millionaire-oilman label owner was too stingy to pony up the dough for the distribution deal or tour support to get us out to the places where we charted. Turns out we were just a write-off project for him and *poof* the rest is history.

Thanks Lisa, and Tom, you're not the first I've heard that from.

I worked with a band (I can't say their name) in LA that was on Interscope, 3 year, 3 album deal, and Anything they wrote became property of Interscope during that time. Well, not only did EVERYTHING GET SHELVED, but when they came to me, it was the DAY their contract expired, and they already had 12 new songs that slipped by the power's to be, so they finally were able to release a new album for their fans. There are so many stories like your's and the one I just wrote about. It's crazy!!!!

SXSW is pretty fun, I've done a lot of great marketing there. For anyone who isn't familiar, it's quite the event of Indie & Main Stream music that is the ultimate in club hopping. Every hour in EVERY Venue is a different performing artist or band from all over the world. The streets are blocked off, and the cops aren't out to make too much extra cash during that 10 days.

SXSW is pretty fun, I've done a lot of great marketing there. For anyone who isn't familiar, it's quite the event of Indie & Main Stream music that is the ultimate in club hopping. Every hour in EVERY Venue is a different performing artist or band from all over the world. The streets are blocked off, and the cops aren't out to make too much extra cash during that 10 days.

I went to SXSW in 98-I had a great time-would love to get back sometime-damn work keeps getting in the way though!

SXSW is a total blast, it's fun to just go down town and talk to people. Anyone, and everyone, they all have a great story to tell. I went into this pub downtown Austin and ordered a beer, started talking to the guy sitting at the bar, he was an editor from a music magazine in Germany, we had a great conversation..............there are so many cool people in town for a week or so, it's truly an amazing atmosphere.

SXSW is a total blast, it's fun to just go down town and talk to people. Anyone, and everyone, they all have a great story to tell. I went into this pub downtown Austin and ordered a beer, started talking to the guy sitting at the bar, he was an editor from a music magazine in Germany, we had a great conversation..............there are so many cool people in town for a week or so, it's truly an amazing atmosphere.

Do they still have the Soth by South Austin fest on Saturday in the parking lot of the Texicali Grill-that was fun-it was the only time I saw the late great Doug Sahm (of the Sir Douglas Quartet and the Texas Tornados) play.

Love Stevie Ray's music! Nancy is the car back together? Are yall come down to Cajun Country(No Problem Raceway) next week?

Congrats on the nice write up. very cool and good luck out there

Car is ALMOST Done, but I don't think we're gonna make it to Bella Rose, I would love to go there though, but just have to wait until either later in the year or next year.

We were trying, if Pomona 2 would have been it, then heck yeah we would have made it, but Gainesville was not good for us especially the week before Christmas, although it was Great hanging with Dyno, Dawn, Devin & Demi and some of the others out there, but Carnage City was our name that weekend.

Should be opening in Memphis this year (not sure about Gainesville because of some other stuff that's popping up, like The Who LOL)

:eek:

Nancy,

Congrats of the front page ink! That is pretty cool stuff to see. :cool:

Now as far as music,,,it has to be played by ZZ Top or SRV,,,or it just doesn't count! ;) :D

Rapid

I hope it's classic ZZ and not when they got all production happy LOL

Come on, with a list that is topped by those two,,,you guess.

Fabulous Thunderbirds, Skynard, George T/Good, ya,,,I would say the old stuff. ;) :D

Rapid {What was this thread about again?} :eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back