Mr. Unswitchable-Dick Jesse (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
Did any folks on this board see that odd ride of Dick Jesse in the Mr. Unswitchable? Hurry Cliff, search for it. just playin brother, lol.

What an odd ride, that thing would get all twisted and riled up in the launch. Sure was a great time for wild and odd rides. Hid head got a good case of air conditioning on each pass, brave too.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

Did any folks on this board see that odd ride of Dick Jesse in the Mr. Unswitchable? Hurry Cliff, search for it. just playin brother, lol.

What an odd ride, that thing would get all twisted and riled up in the launch. Sure was a great time for wild and odd rides. Hid head got a good case of air conditioning on each pass, brave too.

Pretty sure I built a model of that car as a kid.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

mrunswitchable.jpg

That is some totally cool trick S%@! The car was also in white for a short time I believe. There is a shot of that ride from Detroit Dragway, Dick is in the left lane, at launch the thing got all twisted and riled up with the front end dangling the front donuts about a foot that is such a sweet shot.

Took a sack to drive that car and the rides of that era....love it!

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

When I first discovered Drag Racing in 1966 this car was one of the coolest cars ever, along with Dyno Don's Eliminator 1 (the first flip top Funny, along with Eddie Schartman's) and Jack Crisman's GT-1 Comet. Then in '67 after Big shaved the beard on Wide World, I was hooked for life.

Wow, these are great photos. 120" wheelbase, steel frame, cast iron Poncho motor..... :) How many remember calling the Pontiac engine a Poncho? How many remember the A/FX class, 1962, Pontiac Tempest (the "compact" car) with a 421" Pontiac big block? I think A/FX could be called the ancestor of F/C. Below is a link to what the 62 looked like.

When I was a kid I got one of these comic books called Drag N Wheels from a neighbor. In it was a story about Wild Willie...who tipped the nitro can too much 😊, and the main story was about a bad guy named Mr. Hero who ran a car VERY similar to Mr. Unswitchable. If I can find the magazine I'll post the story here.
705917.jpg

Last edited:
Mr hero looks like a Merc Comet.... I never remember seeing a comic like this. I used to go to the market when I was a kid & read the comics, about 100 years ago. heh

LOVE THAT CAR.....AND NOT TRYING TO DERAIL THIS THREAD....I WISH THIS DODGE KIT WAS REAL....AND OF COURSE THE CUDA IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.....

Can't derail the thread with info on other cars where the driver is laying against the taillight panel ;)...thanks for posting!

Thank you Bob. Hope you got all the laundry done..... heh Emery Cook drove this car. the other F/C wanted the car banned. He ran over 200 & of course made the claim of being first F/C to run 200. Interesting to me that Cook drove the old Cook & Bedwell T/F & raced against Garlits in the 1950's, at the World Series of Drag Racing, Cordova, Ill. Trivia: Cook married the daughter of Jauquin Arnett, of Bean Bandits fame. The Bandits ran out of San Diego with a killer flathead nitro dragster in early 1950's. Cook was a Native American out of Oklahoma & teamed up with Cliff Bedwell. They were the ones that ran 167 at Lions in Feb 1957 (Chrysler with 6 carbs on nitro, no blower) & "caused" the fuel ban of that time.

Just saw that on the push truck, they have BB/FD, so that was what the car was calssified as when they ran NHRA. There were a lot of early blown F/C that were run as dragsters. like Chrismans' Comet with the blown Ford on nitro.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back