Moving to Indiana (1 Viewer)

Stu

Nitro Member
I'm moving to Indiana and would like some information about Route 66 and Gateway tracks.

You're moving to Indiana and you want info on two tracks in Illinois?

What do you want to know?

Alan

Stewart,

What City are you moving to ?

^66^ is Pristine. My home track, I raced there and spectated there. Its the MotherLode of Racetracks. ( and its just 22 miles out the back door!)

My company moved me to the western suburbs of Chicago almost 2 years ago. My first reaction of Route 66 was WOW. I grew up going to tracks like Englishtown and Maple Grove and this track takes the experience to a whole new level. Everything I have experienced at Rt. 66 is first class, you do end up paying for the first class. I will be making my first trip to Madison this year, weather permitting (I hate humidity). Since you will be living in Indiana I assume, you should plan a trip to Indy. The track isn't as nice as Rt. 66, but it's INDY and the US Nationals.

I moving to Terra Haute. I have been to the Nationals, in 2004, it was my 50th birthday present to me. I will go this year for sure. I have lived in SC the last 10 years and have been going to Bristol and Atlanta for the last 6 years. Sounds like 66, Madsion, and of course Indy will be on the agenda this year. I am looking for any advise on seating, parking, motels, or any other heads up. Thanks!
This forum is great!:D

Stuart, you also should consider the IHRA race at Martin, MI.

The NHRA race at Norwalk, OH.

The Hot Rod Reunion at Columbus.

NHRA Div. 3 races at Indy, Joliet and St. Louis.

Also do yourself a favor and go to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Indy 500 practice, pole day or the race itself.

The F1 race might be worth watching at least once.

There also a number of tracks in Indiana that have USAC Sprints/Midgets and Silver Crown car races. WoO runs at some tracks too.

...notice I didn't say anything about taxi cab racing.:rolleyes:

A good friend of mine lives in Terre Haute and I have been to Rt 66 with him and we drove by Gateway on our way to St Louis. If memory severs correct Gateway is about 3 hours away from Terre Haute and Rt 66 about 3.5 hrs. Gateway is pretty much a straight shot down I-70. Rt 66 will require a few more turns, but still easy to get to. Terre Haute has an 1/8 mile track as well.

As Tony said above go to IMS. I have not been for a race, but went for the tour. I am not a big Indy car fan but was amazed at the track itself. It was the first time I had even driven through a tunnel under a track. Quite a rush when you get to the other side and you an in the speedway. Any motorsports fan would enjoy it. My friend who was not a race fan before he moved to IN has been to quite a few events at IMS, from qualifying, to carburation day, to the 500 itself.

One of the most famous dirt tracks going is right there in Terra Haute. The Terre Haute action track is a 1/2 mile track & it's right on US 41. They run USAC sprints, WoO sprint cars. There is a 1/8 mile drag strip there also that runs every Sunday i think.

you will be in good hands....Terre Haute has the dirt track and less that 300 feet away is the 1/8 nhra track.
Within two hours or so you have....

ET Raceway..NHRA 1/8 mile
Coles county dragway...NHRA 1/8 mile
Indy
Chandler motorsports park...NHRA 1/8 mile
New Hope Dragway...1/8 mile IHRA
Brown County dragway..1/8 mile outlaw

If you are moving to Terre Haute, you will want to stay away from the old VX nerve gas plant. I understand they will begin destroying the old stock there soon.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back