Opinion: Yes to Indy, No to Joliet and St Louis in 2020. Here's why... (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
(Disclaimer: The following assumes the state guidelines are applied as written)

Indiana and Illinois offer a contrast in how the state leadership is dealing with Covid-19. Each state has a 5 step plan to reopen the economy. Indiana released their plan last Friday, and Illinois just released their plan. Here are the two plans:
INDIANA: Specific guidelines can be found at https://backontrack.in.gov
Bottom line- by July 4, everything is supposed to be open. Assuming no viral flare-ups, both the Lucas Oil Divisional race in August and US Nationals during Labor Day weekend should be able to proceed with spectators.

ILLINOIS:
I will copy/paste the 5th and final step of the Illinois plan, emphasis added:

Phase 5 – Illinois Restored: With a vaccine or highly effective treatment widely available or the elimination of any new cases over a sustained period, the economy fully reopens with safety precautions continuing. Conventions, festivals and large events are permitted, and all businesses, schools, and places of recreation can open with new safety guidance and procedures in place reflecting the lessons learned during the COVID-19 pandemic.

________
Translation related to drag racing- no way, no how any NHRA happening in Illinois this year. Joliet is now the week before Indy and Madison is first week of October under the revised schedule. There will not be a vaccine by the first week of October. Maybe a therapeutic, but the bolded sentence, AS WRITTEN, indicates no new cases, as in not one. The "sustained period" is undefined. Now, the document does say it can be applied regionally, but if this is applied as written, then a race, State Fair, etc. aren't happening.
Per Wikipedia, Madison Co Illinois has 262,000 residents, neighboring St Clare County has 259,000. Not one case out over 1/2 million people? Highly unlikely. That doesn't count the St. Louis and Missouri suburb population just across the river.

All this is subject to change, but taking each state's Governor at their word, then there should be racing at Indy, but sorry for Route 66 and Gateway.

Last edited:
Most likely racing is gonna be cancelled for the year. Thank-you China! I just hope we are stocked up with nitro from them when things settle down.

Mike, I agree for the most part. I attend all three races every year. I live in Illinois, about a half hour from Joliet and I can't see the Route 66 Nationals happening. Illinois is 4th in the nation in overall cases and 6th overall in total deaths. Northeast Illinois (Cook and the surrounding counties including Will County, where Joliet is located) account for about 90% of the 66,000 cases in Illinois. St. Louis (Madison County, IL), on the other hand has had only 369 cases. In Missouri, there have been about 4,500 cases in St. Louis and the surrounding counties, which does not bode well. Links below. If the governor allows some counties some flexibility in opening events, there might be a chance that with social distancing and the race being 5 months away, there might be a chance of it happening, albeit small. I can hope, right? I do think Indy will happen, but with limitations. I'm curious to see how the Mid-West Pro Mod Series fares this weekend in Tulsa, who have been given the go ahead to race, with the promoters placing lots of restrictions on racers, crew and fans alike. Hoping for the best.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back