Mountain Motor Pro Stock Exhibition Passes at Indy (1 Viewer)

It was Brad Waddle driving. He used to run Comp in division 5 years back. I thought it was odd to have one single car make a test pass. Not something that NHRA would do in the middle of their show. It made me wonder if they were potentially testing a different type of combination trying to bring the two types of cars closer together.

On NHRA All Access it was stated that Waddle was testing a smaller tire that the 500 inch Pro Stockers use and it was also mentioned that they were using a different racing gasoline. I suppose it was NHRA spec fuel for Pro Stock. There was also weight added to the car according to Joe Costello and John Waldie on NHRA All access today.

Last edited:
I also think I heard them say it was a smaller tire car? I also thought it was kind of weird that it was single?

So.......we can't figure out how to slow down TF and TF/FC in order to run 1320', yet we can strangle a Mountain Motor P/S down to within .07 of P/S?

The NHRA couldn't find a clue if I handed them the Parker Bros game myself......

waiting for Col. Mustard in the Mountain- Motored Mustang to chime in......

So.......we can't figure out how to slow down TF and TF/FC in order to run 1320', yet we can strangle a Mountain Motor P/S down to within .07 of P/S?

The NHRA couldn't find a clue if I handed them the Parker Bros game myself......

Bob, the fuel racers don’t want to go back to 1320.

Well they could just do the same thing to the fuel cars. :) Add a couple of hundred pounds of weight, give them a different tire and fuel. But then you would be botching about that. LMAO

Stan

Bob,

Since it's such a no brainer, please tell me what should be done? I'm saying this in a conversational tone, not in a confrontational one.

For the Mountain Motors, NHRA reached out to them and between them they decided not to just have a discussion, but to come run at our event, and then try to find a good solution. I think that you're enough of a gearhead to understand that adding a few hundred pounds means buying all new gears, both rear end as well as transmission just to start, to the tune of thousands of dollars, then to find a combination to work with the mandated tire and fuel that you must run in NHRA Pro Stock. And before you say "Just let them run whatever tires and fuel they want" How long do you think it would be until every NHRA Pro Stock team wanted to change tires and fuel? And again at what cost for testing and R&D? I give NHRA credit for trying, as well as the racers who spent time and money trying. It didn't work, but they tried. And a bridge was built between two groups who until now really didn't have anything to do with each other. It would not surprise me to see MM Pro Stocks visit again some time in exhibition, where they don't have to change anything, but they can run their cars at our event.

And from talking to them at Indy (I went to every trailer and introduced myself) they were all grateful for a chance to race with us, and I'm sure that they would be again.

Just my opinion.
Alan

I am not a fan of adding weight to race cars in general. It takes more energy to go the same speed, which means they will hit the wall with more energy and it will take more energy to stop them. On most tracks, that is not a problem, the parachutes and carbon brakes do a good job, but at places like Pomona ... it gets hairy quick.

And to Alan's point, I don't think most people understand that by adding weight that you will have to change out gears and rear ends and maybe beef up the axles and completely reset the suspension. I think most people think you just put weight on the car and let 'er rip as is. After all, it is "only" 200 or 250 pounds.

Bob,

Since it's such a no brainer, please tell me what should be done? I'm saying this in a conversational tone, not in a confrontational one.

For the Mountain Motors, NHRA reached out to them and between them they decided not to just have a discussion, but to come run at our event, and then try to find a good solution. I think that you're enough of a gearhead to understand that adding a few hundred pounds means buying all new gears, both rear end as well as transmission just to start, to the tune of thousands of dollars, then to find a combination to work with the mandated tire and fuel that you must run in NHRA Pro Stock. And before you say "Just let them run whatever tires and fuel they want" How long do you think it would be until every NHRA Pro Stock team wanted to change tires and fuel? And again at what cost for testing and R&D? I give NHRA credit for trying, as well as the racers who spent time and money trying. It didn't work, but they tried. And a bridge was built between two groups who until now really didn't have anything to do with each other. It would not surprise me to see MM Pro Stocks visit again some time in exhibition, where they don't have to change anything, but they can run their cars at our event.

And from talking to them at Indy (I went to every trailer and introduced myself) they were all grateful for a chance to race with us, and I'm sure that they would be again.

Just my opinion.
Alan

Hello Alan....If I didn't sound like I had my tongue in my cheek again, I'm sorry...I need a better sound card in my computer.
I thought the mountain motored cars would be allowed to run as they do, with maybe a dial in for the possible test runs between them and the P/S cars.....not "strangle them" down to race heads up.
After all, they did this with the TF vs TF/FC races and it worked....except for the head start startling some of the TF drivers when the FC 's blasted off the line, headers pointing towards the opponent :)

I still stand by my ideas for slowing down the Nitro classes.... 400 ci , less blower, smaller percentage of pop, and different gear ratios... the Nostalgia TF cars run 5.60's @ 259mph and that's with a 417 Donavan on 1 mag.... great beautiful motors, but still based on 1st gen Hemi architecture
BTW Congrats to Mendy Fry on her Championship!

So your evidence is an article from five years ago?

hard to find any talk on it that's newer than 2016....but anyway

I'm kinda cynical since we lost E-Town...the short track that started all this mess (RIP Scott) so 1320 should be achievable with the loss of a few more short tracks....but the caveat would be Bruton Smith takes their dates and we get 4 or 5 Four Wide races a year :rolleyes:

hard to find any talk on it that's newer than 2016....but anyway

I'm kinda cynical since we lost E-Town...the short track that started all this mess (RIP Scott) so 1320 should be achievable with the loss of a few more short tracks....but the caveat would be Bruton Smith takes their dates and we get 4 or 5 Four Wide races a year :rolleyes:
I know top fuel down in Australia still run 1320 but I’m not sure what there rules are. but if they keep blowing up eventually someone is going to get hurt no one wants to see them get backed down let’s not make this about track prep but i miss seeing those low 80s at 335 plus in a funny car I think the days of 1/4 mile fuel racing is over.

I know top fuel down in Australia still run 1320 but I’m not sure what there rules are. but if they keep blowing up eventually someone is going to get hurt no one wants to see them get backed down let’s not make this about track prep but i miss seeing those low 80s at 335 plus in a funny car I think the days of 1/4 mile fuel racing is over.

Australia is 1000 ft now also.

http://competitionplus.com/drag-rac...g-threatens-to-quit-drag-racing-in-australia#

http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/aussie-top-fuel-goes-all-in-for-1000-ft-drag-racing#

1/4 mile "big show" races are a thing of the past. Any other sanctioning body that would want to add fuel would need to fun the current distance to attract cars.
We're all used to 1000' by now, so drag the beaten, dead horse off the floor and get over it. Honestly, aside from the ET's, I can't tell the difference anymore...even 3.70's has become normal now. (never thought I'd say that!)
From a cost perspective, I am all for backing down what it takes to run these cars. If the sanctioning body had foresight, they would have enforced stricter standards over the years and kept the costs within reason. The fact no one can make a living anymore in any form of racing, without big time sponsorship, is absurd in my opinion. Actually, forget making a living, how about covering costs.
I did some math and using DSR stated "costs per run" of 20K (I think thats older), if Tony runs all 4 qualifiers & wins the race, 8 x 20,000 = 160,000.....and the purse is 50K, thats 110,000 in the red for the weekend. That is not a sustainable business model using anyone's factors. If I have employees that spend $100/week in gas to get to work and I pay them $80/wk, guess what...they can no longer work for me. I don't know what the payout structure should be, but its not working as it sits.
The nostalgia cars have proven that you can put restrictions on the cars, so that you can run a lot of different combinations and still be competitive. If you CHOOSE to buy the best of the best OR used/less expensive parts, thats the owners decision based on the size of the checkbook....but you don't "have to".

I keep seeing people use the "look at NASCAR, Indy cars or F1"...time for NHRA to be a trend setter!

Again, just my opinion

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back