Motorsports Hall of Fame to induct Dale Armstrong (1 Viewer)

Can't think of a smarter guy in the sport, well deserved. Still don't understand why NHRA won't use his way of slowing the cars down, seemed pretty easy and foolproof

Dale's very deserving of that honor. I became a fan of his when he won Pomona in '74 driving a super low A/FD, beating teammate Ken Veney's BB/FC. He went to the top of my list when he won Indy later that year in a AA/A. To this day, his "Alcoholic" Satellite BB/FC was one of the baddest looking FCs (fuel or alky) on the planet.

A freind of mine just got his NHRA competition license and it is the same number as Dale use to have. #7006

I was honored to be asked to write Dale's bio for the Hall of Fame.

Regarding his solution to slowing the cars, yeah, it not only made too much sense, but because the suggestion came from someone not an active tuner many of the other crew chiefs out there used that as a reason to say it wouldn't work. Believe me, I know this to be true. It was as if some of those guys were saying that Dale got stupid all of a sudden! Huh? One of the smartest guys to ever tune, drive and develop new and fascinating hardware? Give me a break!

If anyone has the background, intelligence and integrity to handle the job of being in charge of Top Fuel and Funny Car racing for NHRA it's Dale Armstrong -- but he wasn't interested in the job because of the political BS involved. Maybe a smart move on his part, but a shame for drag racing.

If ever this sport needed the thoughtful approach of, well, a genius, now is the time, and Armstrong's the man.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back