Bill Gliddens Ford / Pontiac goes 6.566/211.76!!! (1 Viewer)

Damn impressive.......single four barrel , cast intake small block, that is flat getting it done. He was at a race I was at in Louisville a couple weeks ago and made some hits. trust me it is one sweet sounding machine.

So I have to ask the obvious question...why not use this formula in Pro Stock instead of the boooring version we have now?

Small blocks...tons of industry marketability here since the bulk of the aftermarket perfromance industry surrounds small motors.

Nitrous...make it legal so there's no reason to hide it :eek: Plus that gives NHRA and other promotional entities a batch of new advertisers like NOS, Nitrous Express, Edlebrock, ZEX, Speedtech, and so on. And what better way to connect to the 18-34 crowd than to make Pro Stock more relevant to their interests?

Small tires...more manufacturers of small tires than big tires...M/T, M&H, Hoosier are the common names and Goodyear is nowhere to be found. And, as with nitrous and small blocks, small tires have a relevant connection with the youth market. Those are the types of cars the "kids" PAY to see each week.

410 cubic inch limit, commercially available inline-valve cylinder heads only (no canted-valve or hemi designs), cast intake manifold, single 4 barrell carb, any fuel (gasoline or methanol), unlimited nitrous delivery, mufflers mandatory, 33 x 10.5W tires, minimum wheelie bar height of 7.5", 2250 pound minimum weight, working headlights, tail lights, brake lights, very low mandated scoop height.

Rock on.

Damn impressive.......single four barrel , cast intake small block, that is flat getting it done. He was at a race I was at in Louisville a couple weeks ago and made some hits. trust me it is one sweet sounding machine.

I think he has it figured out huh:p

So I have to ask the obvious question...why not use this formula in Pro Stock instead of the boooring version we have now?

Small blocks...tons of industry marketability here since the bulk of the aftermarket perfromance industry surrounds small motors.

Nitrous...make it legal so there's no reason to hide it :eek: Plus that gives NHRA and other promotional entities a batch of new advertisers like NOS, Nitrous Express, Edlebrock, ZEX, Speedtech, and so on. And what better way to connect to the 18-34 crowd than to make Pro Stock more relevant to their interests?

Small tires...more manufacturers of small tires than big tires...M/T, M&H, Hoosier are the common names and Goodyear is nowhere to be found. And, as with nitrous and small blocks, small tires have a relevant connection with the youth market. Those are the types of cars the "kids" PAY to see each week.

410 cubic inch limit, commercially available inline-valve cylinder heads only (no canted-valve or hemi designs), cast intake manifold, single 4 barrell carb, any fuel (gasoline or methanol), unlimited nitrous delivery, mufflers mandatory, 33 x 10.5W tires, minimum wheelie bar height of 7.5", 2250 pound minimum weight, working headlights, tail lights, brake lights, very low mandated scoop height.

Rock on.

As much as I agree with you.....as much as I like your ideas, it will never, ever, EVER happen!! We can't even get them to allow fuel injection (ie: current technology) in so called "factory hot rods", let alone the ideas you're pitching out there. I'd pay anyone $100 to find me a Cobalt, GXP, or Stratus that rolls off the assembly line with a carburetor of ANY sort! Ain't gonna happen!!!

Last edited:
Bill has got that deal working really well. If you ever get a chance to see him at a race, he and Shannon are the two nicest people you will ever meet and they'll even let you sign the decklid of their car! There are a lot of people with animosity towards Bill, but from what my kids and I have seen when he raced in Vegas, he's a good guy and has 3 fans for life here.

My God Wes. What are you some damn heretic?:p

What were you thinking? What market to the masses? Create more draw or something?:eek:

I do not know you. Something happened when you moved to the north and back again. I am calling the state of Texas tomorrow to start the process for revoking your citizenship.:eek:

Next thing you'll be telling us they will be throwing a 2,800 lb car on radials into the 6's or something will happen. ;)

Latest NHRA memo just came in to all race teams and employees over the fax:
Stay away from the Tarkington boy he ain't quite right. He is thinking again.

Good God man please get some help.

Add it to the list of things that makes sense yet never seem to become reality? Kind of like the crate motor dragster concept for Comp or as a stand-alone heads-up sportsman class. Duuuuuuuh! Let's not do THAT! Something like that might have manufacturer support or provide a low-cost alternative for sportsman racers or develop some kind of media interest or help introduce new racers/fans to the sport or actually be a profitable venture for a sanctioning body. Naaaaaaah.

Would someone puhleeeeaze get Billy a FoMoCo body for that car!!!!! Maybe a nice 1950 Business Coupe or a '75 Torino Sport-red with a white stripe-or even a 1987 Taurus Wagon ala Camp Stanely...oh, wait...there I go making sense again...sorta.

I am Jack's raging bile duct.

Bill has got that deal working really well. If you ever get a chance to see him at a race, he and Shannon are the two nicest people you will ever meet and they'll even let you sign the decklid of their car! There are a lot of people with animosity towards Bill, but from what my kids and I have seen when he raced in Vegas, he's a good guy and has 3 fans for life here.

Just quoted you because I share your opinion:

I do not know Billy on a personal level, but I've talk to him briefly at various events and he was always polite and easy to approach in my opinion. When looking into Schools for Automotive Machining, I sent out a few ?'s to people (roughly 20) in the past that are respected in the Racing community and he was one of the very few who responded back. He did not owe me a response, but he took out the time to send me a note which I respected.
Best response I got was from Darin Morgan which I appreciate also, but that is a different story.
Billy's car has always been flying, be it the Mustang or the Pontiac. Like the Glidden's or not, they can always make a car go...

Rock on.

I, for one, have been involved in this type of racing, since it started over a decade ago. A lot of us have been lobbying this to the powers that be, within the "Big Brother" organization. It truly is a much bigger market for the everyday race fan. It's a whole lot of fun, and very exciting to say the least, with the performances that have been accomplished on these tires. To take it a step farther, most of you probably are not aware that we now have Stock Suspension, 3400lb street cars going 7.30's and 7.40's at 200MPH, on a DOT legal Radial street tires... We also are approaching the threshold of running for the same purse money as the NHRA Pro Stockers..
All that being said, it'll probably never happen... They just dont want to hear it! To them, we are "Outcasts" in their eyes... To us... We're just OUTLAWS..
Next time you hear about an "Outlaw" race in your area, stop by and say HI..
I promise you that you'll leave with a smile on your face..;)
Denny Savage

As exciting and upto date as this concept is it will never repeat never be allowed. why??? NIH syndrom! Oh that means Not Invented Here

I am excited by what they are doing and I have been racing for about 40+ years. If this old fart can see it, why can't the powers that be see it????

Billy is good people. Him and Shannon are the most approachable people in the pits. They always make time to talk to everyone. I wish Bill all the best in whatever he does. And I'm glad Bob is getting honored at Indy this year, better now than later.

As much as I agree with you.....as much as I like your ideas, it will never, ever, EVER happen!! We can't even get them to allow fuel injection (ie: current technology) in so called "factory hot rods", let alone the ideas you're pitching out there. I'd pay anyone $100 to find me a Cobalt, GXP, or Status that rolls off the assembly line with a carburetor of ANY sort! Ain't gonna happen!!!

You know I am so tired of going to the local Chevy dealership and them never having a 500CI cobalt in stock! I have made the trip 10 times in the last couple years. Every time different sales rep, everytime same reaction. GOSH! :p

I love the idea Wes.

You know so many people on this site have so many ideas that NHRA is never going to consider. Why not everyone group together, take all the ideas and run with it. Racing division for the fans from the fans w/o some big CEO on top to run (ruin) everything. Mad Attitude Timeless Racing.

You know so many people on this site have so many ideas that NHRA is never going to consider. Why not everyone group together, take all the ideas and run with it. Racing division for the fans from the fans w/o some big CEO on top to run (ruin) everything. Mad Attitude Timeless Racing.

I am curious why when a new drag racing segment like 10-wide racing is developed, so many racers think that their particular _HRA should accept and embrace it as a new class, promote it and create a purse.

There are PLENTY of places to race, the _HRA blessing does not make it better racing or exposure, there's a lot of drag racing without the _HRA stamp of approval.

The _HRA big shows are not going to change, why hit your helmet against the wall?

I am curious why when a new drag racing segment like 10-wide racing is developed, so many racers think that their particular _HRA should accept and embrace it as a new class, promote it and create a purse.

There are PLENTY of places to race, the _HRA blessing does not make it better racing or exposure, there's a lot of drag racing without the _HRA stamp of approval.

The _HRA big shows are not going to change, why hit your helmet against the wall?

Well first off "class" racing makes things much more exciting for people that are actually racers. Yes there are PLENTY of places to race, but if there are not PLENTY of your "class" type cars to race against you are either testin and tuning every week or friday-night bracket racing against your neighbors mini-van on an unmaintenenced track and whats the excitement in that.

I am not concerned about a _HRA blessing. I am speaking more from the side of a "car club" if you will. More a group of organized people rather than a "big business". A group of people that allows for any type thing to race. Run what you brung.

There is a lot of racing without the _HRA stamp of approval and i will diasgree completely with it does not create better exposure. the big names run everything, make their money and advertise. If not for this Forum I would have no idea about ADRL or this 10" tire deal. The big names pull the $$ -pull the exposure.

There is a lot of racing without the _HRA stamp of approval and i will diasgree completely with it does not create better exposure. the big names run everything, make their money and advertise. If not for this Forum I would have no idea about ADRL or this 10" tire deal. The big names pull the $$ -pull the exposure.

No the big names do not run everything and there are plenty of places to read about 10-wide racing: Fun Ford ADRL NMRA/NMCA PSCA ADRL

And many more!

10-wide racing has already been blessed by the racers and fans, seems like a pretty great show without any _HRA sanctioning body stamp of approval.

Hey that Billy Glidden gots it going on, doesn't he?

Pretty amazing accomplishment..but doesn't surprise me.

He does this with almost no budget and almost no help at the track at all. He qualified in pro stock twice this year the very same way. There are people out there throwing $$ into the crapper for nothing, and here he is running these kind of numbers. Give me a break, and give the man a sponsor!

Darr.... I didnt mean to imply that they should accept and embrace it... It's pretty obvious that they wont, and that's a shame... I'm just saying that there's a lot of fun and entertainment in the drag racing World outside of NHRA CHampionship Drag Racing. I raced with "Big Brother" professionally, for a long time... What I'm doing now, is way more fun and entertaining... And a lot cheaper, both as a spectator or participant...
Respectfully
Denny Savage

Darr.... I didnt mean to imply that they should accept and embrace it... It's pretty obvious that they wont, and that's a shame... I'm just saying that there's a lot of fun and entertainment in the drag racing World outside of NHRA CHampionship Drag Racing. I raced with "Big Brother" professionally, for a long time... What I'm doing now, is way more fun and entertaining... And a lot cheaper, both as a spectator or participant...
Respectfully Denny Savage

Denny we absolutely agree. If anything, there will probably be less of these specialty classes in the future... unless GM, Toyota, Honda, Ford and Mopar step up to $upport a true 10-wide class.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back