More of Jim O is what we need!! (1 Viewer)

Jim doesn't like Tony. Fine that's his business. To put it on Natl. TV showed no class. (imo). Like John M. said Connie would have went to Tony with it.
Before you say I'm a hater, wrong, just the opposite I'm a long, l o n g time KALITTA fan.

CONGRATS DOUG, JIM O. , CONNIE, and TEAM KALITTA on the rd win & the race win.
Don't disagree with what he said, just where he said it. Really like Don, Tony not so much.

When Tony first came out he made no friends with his attitude. Although it's improved a bit he's still not well received by many of the other drivers and and crew. Or at least tht's what the big boys tell me. The time or two I've encountered him he was nice enough and I had no negative impression.

When Tony first came out he made no friends with his attitude. Although it's improved a bit he's still not well received by many of the other drivers and and crew. Or at least tht's what the big boys tell me. The time or two I've encountered him he was nice enough and I had no negative impression.
I alway liked Tony but never was a big fan. But this weekend he did something that changed that. I had a friend's son walking with me thru the pits Saturday and we passed by Tony's pit. Tony was signing autographs and he decided to take a picture of him doing that. Tony told him to come under the ropes and give him a high 5 and a hug. Made his day and of course we just had to go buy a Army dragster and get Tony to sign it which he did.

[="Barry Turner, post: 342786, member: 209"]Maybe that's cause he beat him so many times
Or maybe it goes back but to that weekend when Tony was told by the starter to shut off.
Instead he continued and later made THE RUN to steal the Championship.

Hmm, lets see, Tony smoked the tires on that run and it didn't change the qualifying position so basically had no impact on the rest of the race. Why would Jim care about that? Tony and Alan opened up an old fashion can of whoop ass that weekend when Doug couldn't seal the deal when he was in complete control of his outcome. Sucks for Doug and Rahn, but them losing in the semi's allowed us to witness probably the greatest run of all time. That doesn't sound like stealing to me. Why in the world would people still have butt hurt almost 10 years later?

I was never a fan of Tony either until I had kids and took them to the track and each time Tony has allowed them to come into his pits and sign autographs for them and take pictures with them. That's the type of interaction we need in order to continue to have the sport grow. My kid was hounding me all morning on Sunday until we went to his pit after the 2nd round where Tony once again allowed him into his pits.

11182159_10205452561811786_2951706923677926878_n.jpg

I like Tony. I don't root for him, like I don't root for John Force, but I like them both. They are both THE champs. I root for anyone lined up against Steve Torrence (I want to see him throw a $4,000 carbon fiber helmet again) and always rooting for the underdogs. It's more fun for me.

As to the networks easing up on the language, I'm all for it. I'm not some kid's parent, and neither should my racing be their parent. IndyCar and NHRA have both almost suddenly relaxed their rules as far as announcers and drivers saying "ass". It's a step in the right direction. I don't want to hear them use f-bombs everywhere, but I know they fly all-around. Saying bad ass or kicked ass is pretty innocuous.

Last thing. I'm all for letting people be themselves, so if they're angry, let them be, but contrived emotion is always weak-suck in my book, whether it's warm fuzzy pink bunnies or rivalries. If this wild sport has to have cage fighting in-order to get new fans, I'll show you new fans who are good for a race or two and never to be seen again. Show more cars, less ridiculous stats (honest, it's like every pair has three or four stats applied to them each and every time) and let the folks out in TV land fall in love with Drag Racing, not the Real Housewives version of Drag Racing.

Or maybe it's a simple case of he was pumped up seeing the win light for a change.
It's called adrenaline, and it makes humans do-say things that they normally wouldn't do.

I missed what he said. Guess I shouldn't watch it on fast forward next time

Huge respect for Jim O. Tony could stand the "Mike Dunn travelling to Indy as a teenager on top of the coolers in the station wagon all the way from California" treatment or two. As a matter of fact 80% of the pro drivers would benefit from this treatment. Just sayin.

Part of winning is getting down the track. Jim did and Mike didn't for whatever reason. It takes a team to win.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back