more idiotic school political correctness (1 Viewer)

I thought the point of dodgeball was to NOT be a target? All those games on the playground and in gym class played bass-ackwards. This explains why I am so confused. Wonder if I can sue the school board:rolleyes:

LOL, there's a game that discriminates, too. Who didn't look for the person with the widest profile when throwing? :D Just like natural selection with animals. You look for the slowest moving one. :D

Scoreboard Update

Game number one is in the books and nobody got hurt, nobody walked and nobody struck out but for some reason a lot of the kids wanted to know if they were winning or losing. Who would have thunk it?

Ground outs and fly outs were recorded which kind of surprised me, both that they did record them and that there were some to record. The more amazing thing about that though was the fact the none of the kids that got out ended up laying on the ground in the fetal position scarred for life as a result.

So let's cut to the chase... who won? With the league rule of all kids get to bat once each inning, even though you could keep score if you wanted, when one team has 4 or 5 more players, how is that possible? So did we win or lose... hard to say, the other team clearly had a handful of older bigger kids who were very good. On the other hand in the two innings that were played only one of our batters had to resort to the humiliation of hitting off of a tee while they had 3.

But according to Andrew, they scored 5 or 6 and we scored 8. So I am putting this one in the books as a "W".

AndrewsDad

My girlfriend often accompanies her 8 year old grandson to church basketball games. Same deal, no scoring so "nobody gets hurt." Well, the parents sit in the stands and keep score cause the kids want to know when it's over (and, unless it's close, they already know who won and lost, anyways.)

The first time I was there I got kinda loud when the "no scoring" was explained to me. But, I had a lot of parents nodding in agreement to what I was saying, too. In a school under a bunch of liberal teachers? I could see that.

I still think you guys are missing the point of the "no scoring" rule. While there may be some hippies who really buy into the "nobody's feelings get hurt" line, that's not how the rule really originated.

I coached a basketball team of 5 and 6 year olds in a league where score was kept. The team was pretty short on ability as only one kid on the team, Jacob, had played before.

Well, everytime we were in a close game everyone would always just throw the ball to Jacob because he was the best scorer. Sure, we won more games because of it, but the other kids on the team didn't have the opportunity to work on their won skills like they should have becasue everyone was too focused on scoring.

It got to the point that the only way i could anyone else on the team to shoot, was to NOT let Jacob shoot in practice. So, because the kids were worried about the score they didn't get to work on their skills in games and Jacob got "punished" in practice for being ahead of the learning curve.

I've also coached team in "no scoring" leagues - baseball, basketball and one regretable spring of soccer - and while I had to put up with all the "what's the score, what's the score" questions, it was unbelievably easier to teach teamwork and get all of the kids an equal opportunity to learn.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back