Mike Dunn to IHRA! (1 Viewer)

I like Mike Dunn, so this isn't a knock against him, but I don't understand the benefit to the IHRA here.

Unless they plan on giving him some leeway to make changes.

So when he talks about a "new top fuel strategy" does he mean real racing with real points, or the Monster Jam style events they currently have?

New Top Fuel strategy...meaning the IHRA/IRGSE will own/lease all of the "teams" that "compete" in the "series" very similar to what you see with the Feld Motorsports Monster Jam shows. Dunn is on board to be a bridge between the corporation and the groups that will operate the nitro cars along with providing some level of SME (subject matter expert) with regard to budgeting, materials, personnel, logistics, and technical advisement. Skooter Peaco will be the person in charge of real, actual sportsman racing as he has been for a number of years now.

Don't get your hopes up too high with this. Once this business model fails to produce a profit that satisfies the stockholders of the parent companies we'll be back to the IHRA we have today. If we're lucky, that is. Running 4-8 Top Fuel cars is quite different that running 8-12 monster trucks.

New Top Fuel strategy...meaning the IHRA/IRGSE will own/lease all of the "teams" that "compete" in the "series" very similar to what you see with the Feld Motorsports Monster Jam shows. Dunn is on board to be a bridge between the corporation and the groups that will operate the nitro cars along with providing some level of SME (subject matter expert) with regard to budgeting, materials, personnel, logistics, and technical advisement. Skooter Peaco will be the person in charge of real, actual sportsman racing as he has been for a number of years now.

Don't get your hopes up too high with this. Once this business model fails to produce a profit that satisfies the stockholders of the parent companies we'll be back to the IHRA we have today. If we're lucky, that is. Running 4-8 Top Fuel cars is quite different that running 8-12 monster trucks.
Assuming you're right, Wes, I submit the following:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

What an idea, Erica did the same time over and over and won 2 back to back championships. Not sure if his philosophy is always correct. Just a stupid thought

So she did the same thing repeatedly and got the same results.....isn't that what the quote says will happen?

i don't see how IHRA can bring Top Fuel back.. there are barely enough teams to fill a field in NHRA at the 24 events they have.. and if IHRA thinks they will add 16 events , who will be able to run those? this isn't 1980 when parts attrition was 1/3 what it is today.. back then a team could run both series .. and i highly doubt any teams would walk away from NHRA in hopes IHRA will survive.. I think IHRA needs to take what they have a just improve on it.. the payouts and championship purses would be a good start in order to get teams back. if you can't get full fields in what you have, why add more classes?

Good point, Bruce. The expense to run a Top Fuel team is beyond what most sponsors would even want to pay. However, i counter that with the right rules changes the expense could be brought down significantly. As an example, Dale Armstrong always recommended a reduction in compression ratio for the nitro teams to 6:1 from the 7.2:1 now. Mandating that change alone would reduce engine damage and pull the speeds down http://competitionplus.com/featured-stories/6566-dale-armstrong-interview-the-best-plan-for-slowing-top-fuel-dragsters-and

I would also hope that they will introduce an alcohol class again. This could run as the top show at the sportsman events instead of competing with the NitroJam. In fact, what about a "ProComp" style class where funny cars, altereds and dragsters all race together? It's already done successfully in Australia and was once popular here as well.

Just my $.02!

Mike

i don't see how IHRA can bring Top Fuel back.. there are barely enough teams to fill a field in NHRA at the 24 events they have.. and if IHRA thinks they will add 16 events , who will be able to run those?

From what I've read, I believe that they will be 8 car fields with 2 "house" cars. That leaves only 6 remaining spots to fill. I'm sure that the likes of Luigi Novelli, Rit Pustari, Bruce Litton and the like would show up depending on the payouts. On top of that, they said they will not have conflicting dates with the NHRA. From that standpoint I think they will have a chance.

Mike Dunn is a smart guy. If the IHRA "Powers that Be" listen to him, they might end up with a very cool racing program, and jam-packed bleachers.

Live everybody else on the planet, I'd love to see Dunn figure out a way to implement Armstrong's ideas on Fuel cars, and get them back to running 1/4 mile at around 300 mph. The costs to race would be lower, and I think would provide something the fans really want to see. Time will tell.

Mike Dunn is a smart guy. If the IHRA "Powers that Be" listen to him, they might end up with a very cool racing program, and jam-packed bleachers.

Live everybody else on the planet, I'd love to see Dunn figure out a way to implement Armstrong's ideas on Fuel cars, and get them back to running 1/4 mile at around 300 mph. The costs to race would be lower, and I think would provide something the fans really want to see. Time will tell.

It's easy. Stop making the track so sticky it pulls your shoes off. Make the driver and the crew chief be the difference, rather than who buys the quickest ride.

Right-on Chris! Dale Armstrong thought about the speeds and costs for many years. His ideas would work well and should certainly be implemented to bring back a class that doesn't require $2million per season to race. Top Fuel Dragster/Funny Cars don't have to do 350mph and 3 second passes to be exciting. This is an interesting interview with Dale:

http://competitionplus.com/featured...-best-plan-for-slowing-top-fuel-dragsters-and

I guess i read it different than you do !!
The operative word is "different" Jesse.

The quote states that if someone keeps doing the same exact thing expecting a "different" result, that is the definition of insanity.

Erica did the same thing expecting the "same" results... and it worked.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back