Metallica Fans (1 Viewer)

Not to pick on you Kris, but if you downloaded a "horrible sound quality" MP3 on Napster, then you only have yourself to blame, as you could sort available MP3s by bitrate. I set mine at 192kbps (CD Quality) and never had a problem.

You are correct though, all P2P networks that came after Napster were not nearly as user friendly (not to mention a HUGE security risk). I have since migrated to using Newsgroups to get my MP3s, and have never had a problem getting anything new or relevant with good quality, the extreme example being Tool's (my favorite band) "10,000 Days" which was on the newsgroups a full 21 days before their release. They played Coachella BEFORE the album came out, and there were many of us in the crowd that already knew many of the lyrics ... Maynard even commented on it.

Lastly, no one should ever let the marketplace, be it digital or otherwise, dictate your taste in anything. You should always spend your money where you choose. Metallica's stance on Napster REALLY turned me off to them, particularly Lars ... to top it all off, the music they were putting out was inferior to all of their earlier efforts IMO. So they will never see a red cent from me (if I can help it) again. These were the same guys that did not make a music video until their THIRD album because they thought the genre defined music too much and they wanted the music to stand on it's own, then they wanted to argue over a few cents??? Still can't wrap my brain around that one ....

Not all the stuff I downloaded from Napster was horrible but a fair portion of it was and it could well have been user error on my part or just bad upload quality on others. Some of it was clearly copies of copies and just plain sounded bad. No adjustment of bitrate will fix a bad file. But I also went out of my way not to download copyright protected material if I could help it. I've tried torrents recently and was successfully able to download one album which was decent but I ended up buying it anyway. The patience required for that crap pisses me off.

Was Kazaa (I had that for a while) the one that was notorious for virii and the like? I remember the RIAA started going after people using that and I decided at that point that what I was getting for my time -- if the downloads finished at all -- wasn't worth the ire of the RIAA. Last thing you wanna do is get between the labels and their money.

From my perspective I can understand where Metallica was coming from because there is nothing more annoying than to see someone steal your hard work and wonder what the hell do you do about it.

I have just (and trust me, I've tried) never understood why people who were violating copyright laws and illegally downloading things (often knowingly) could be upset that the artists were protecting their music and have a bitter taste in their mouth over it 8 years later.

If someone started plagiarizing my articles or using my stories without my consent I'd be very unhappy. It's bad enough when people steal my story ideas (Sandy Ringer from the Seattle Times, I'm looking at you).

All this makes me wonder what kind of publishing rights Lars and James have on their catalog. If they have a really good publishing deal then I could understand even more why they wouldn't want their stuff out there.

I know you're not the only one who feels that way about Metallica but I have just never understood it. People can't believe I buy music, though, but I do and primarily from a local record shop called Silver Platters. So I guess it's a matter of perspective.

I know you're not the only one who feels that way about Metallica but I have just never understood it. People can't believe I buy music, though, but I do and primarily from a local record shop called Silver Platters. So I guess it's a matter of perspective.

I buy everything that Tool and A Perfect Circle put out, as I want to make sure that Maynard and the record companies know that they are viable entities and they need to keep making music.

I also buy a lot of songs thru iTunes. Most albums put out today only have one or two good songs on them and the rest are crap, so iTunes (like Napster before it) is a godsend in that regard.

And ANY band I have a remote interest in, I buy a ticket to their concert (one BIG advantage of living in Vegas, everyone comes here). Trust me, with the average ticket price of a concert $50 plus, they would much rather have me buy a ticket than they would have me buy an album ... they get MUCH more money out of me that way.

So I have never felt guilty for one second downloading a song, just as I never felt guilty for copying cassette tapes when I was a kid, as any viable band is going to get their money out of me and then some.

Metallica have no respect for their audience/fans ... they now just see you as unit buyers.

Metallica have no respect for their audience/fans ... they now just see you as unit buyers.

I have stood back and listened to your rants, but this clearly crosses the line. You can call Lars what ever you want because of the Napster deal, but to say they have no respect for their fans is bullsh*t. Metallica puts their best effort forward to ensure every person who comes to one of their shows goes home with "ringing ears, sore throats, and a huge Metallica smile", and they truly deliver that at a live show. I have been to countless Metallica shows since 1988 in many venues from Woodstock 99, to LA, to Phoenix, Philly, Madison Square Garden, etc. and they have always delivered what they promise to the fans. I personally do not know one person who has been to a Metallica show and thought the show stunk.

I have stood back and listened to your rants, but this clearly crosses the line. You can call Lars what ever you want because of the Napster deal, but to say they have no respect for their fans is bullsh*t. Metallica puts their best effort forward to ensure every person who comes to one of their shows goes home with "ringing ears, sore throats, and a huge Metallica smile", and they truly deliver that at a live show. I have been to countless Metallica shows since 1988 in many venues from Woodstock 99, to LA, to Phoenix, Philly, Madison Square Garden, etc. and they have always delivered what they promise to the fans. I personally do not know one person who has been to a Metallica show and thought the show stunk.

I was speaking from a behind-the-scenes/business/marketing perspective in regards to the "unit buyer" remark. I am sure that they still enjoy playing live and that comes thru when they are on stage. I also don't know anyone who has complaints about the live shows other than having to sit thru recent material before they get to the "good stuff".

As for me, I will take everyone else's word for it ...

I agree.... It's hard to get into their new music if you liked their old stuff. :D

That is the shortest and easiest way to explain it for me also. However I know I am in the minority and thats ok. I am simply a "heavy metal guy". They lost me at the Black album. However as so many other people mentioned it seems like all the bands do it. I was hugely disapointed with Def Leppard after High 'N' Dry. Even the "super" bands like Aerosmith and Van Halen did it. I'll never forget being so turned off to Van Halen the 1st time I saw one thier videos on VH1. They are going to gain a lot on new fans changing but they will lose a bunch also. This list goes on and on. Other heavy bands have crapped out. Sepultura imploded with their "roots" album. Megadeth did it. I know that I am a simple(closed) minded old school heavy metal guy. If you like the new stuff these bands are producing thats great. It's just not for me. I'll give it a try but then I'll have to throw in some "Cowboys from Hell" to cleanse my soul! :D:D

I personally do not know one person who has been to a Metallica show and thought the show stunk.
I last saw them when they were touring in support of Load on the Lollapalooza Tour and honestly felt ripped off considering I had seen every tour starting with Puppets. They sounded like a bunch of school kids playing cover tunes. I walked out half way through their set.

I'll have to throw in some "Cowboys from Hell" to cleanse my soul!
RIP Dime, you will forever be missed! When ever I am in a bad mood, I load up some Pantera and life is good again. I usually listen to 5 Minutes Alone to get myself pumped up before I strap into the car! Damageplan works too!!! :D:D

Well, I guess they're still trying to build the hype because here is the second single released in a week. This one is called My Apocalypse. It's better than The Day That Never Comes, but it seems like something is missing, or maybe they're just tried too hard to create another Master Of Puppets.

My Apocalypse

Well, I guess they're still trying to build the hype because here is the second single released in a week. This one is called My Apocalypse. It's better than The Day That Never Comes, but it seems like something is missing, or maybe they're just tried too hard to create another Master Of Puppets.

My Apocalypse

They will be releasing a single each week until the album is released on 9/12. So, that means we should see 2 more singles before the album release.

Better than St. Anger but their best stuff is now behind them!
They released another single off their soon to be released album if anyone is interested.
Since they opened their own studio in San Rafeal, CA. their recordings have lost a lot of sound quality.
They just don't sound as tight anymore but that's me. :eek:

Last edited:
Here's a link to Metallica's new video for The Day that Never Comes. Interesting video about what our troops go through on a daily basis. I found myself wrapped up in the video on what was going to happen to the troops instead of listening to the song. Tickets for their shows went on sale for fan club members this past Saturday and the general public tomorrow, I think. I am on the floor in the pit for both shows in Chicago.

Metallica.com

What's everyone's take on Garage Inc? The picture on the back of the linear notes always makes me laugh, "The Metallicats," lol.

Speaking of Garage Inc, I bought a couple of the songs on Itunes and thought, "How can this get an explicit lyrics warning?" Then when I bought the full album and heard "So What," then I knew why.

Sam. I bought the CD when it came out. Love it. Some great covers too. One of the CD's got stolen when my truck was broken into.
There are a few songs that warrant the Explicit sticker alone.

What's everyone's take on Garage Inc? The picture on the back of the linear notes always makes me laugh, "The Metallicats," lol.

Speaking of Garage Inc, I bought a couple of the songs on Itunes and thought, "How can this get an explicit lyrics warning?" Then when I bought the full album and heard "So What," then I knew why.

The cover song Originally performed by Anti Nowhere Leauge I'm not surprised! :p

I liked Whisky in the Jar cover of Thin Lizzy's song.

I found a link to more of the new album, and I think I may have to take back the lukewarm review I've given the first two songs so far. Here are 5 more songs. So far I've heard seven out of the ten tracks, and Unforgiven III and The Day That Never Comes are the only two that that just don't appeal to me. However, the first three tracks are good enough that I'll probably end up buying the CD when it comes out.

Track 1: That Was Just Your Life

Track 2: The End of the Line

Track 3: Broken, Beat & Scarred

Track 6: Cyanide

Track 7: The Unforgiven III

I found a link to more of the new album, and I think I may have to take back the lukewarm review I've given the first two songs so far. Here are 5 more songs. So far I've heard seven out of the ten tracks, and Unforgiven III and The Day That Never Comes are the only two that that just don't appeal to me. However, the first three tracks are good enough that I'll probably end up buying the CD when it comes out.

Is that a piano I hear in the Unforgiven III? I never thought I would see the day a piano made it into a Metallica song. The song is not all that bad after the piano part. By far, I think Cyanide is one of the better songs on the new album.

Buy the CD come on Mike haven't you gotten an iPod yet? LOL :p

Buy the CD come on Mike haven't you gotten an iPod yet? LOL :p
Bob, I LOOOOOVE my iPod, but there's still something about buying a CD, reading the liner notes, checking out the photos and reading the lyrics during the second listen. (the music always comes first!)

Bob, I LOOOOOVE my iPod, but there's still something about buying a CD, reading the liner notes, checking out the photos and reading the lyrics during the second listen. (the music always comes first!)

I hear ya Mike old habits are hard to break.
But in iTunes they have the booklet available when you purchase the album.
The plus side of owning the CD is you don't care if your hard drive crashes! ;):D

Well I'm not the biggest Metallica fan in the world, in fact the only songs I claim to like is the first 3 minutes of ONE, Hero of the day, Nothing Else matters, and Seek and Destroy. But..............I just purchased a ticket to their show here on Oct. 23rd, I hope I don't feel like Dad watching the kids!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back