McMillen fights back into Top 10 at Bristol (1 Viewer)

NewsletterHeader
McMillen fights back into Top 10 at Bristol
DSB_9412_2
BRISTOL, Tenn (June 16, 2019) -- For the sixth time this season, Terry McMillen and his AMALIEⓇ Motor Oil XTERMIGATORⓇ team qualified in the top half of the field for an NHRA race. McMillen and his Rob Wendland led team posted a 3.795 elapsed time in the second qualifying session to secure their position. The cooler (yet still hot) Bristol conditions allowed for aggressive performances on Friday night and back to finessing the tuneup on Saturday and Sunday.
McMillen would face RIchie Crampton in the opening round of eliminations. A solid 0.055 reaction time and some skillful driving would give McMillen his first round win since Charlotte, ending his four race drought.
“We needed that,” McMillen said of the round win. “It was a good morale booster for the team. The car got out there and dropped a couple of holes and made for an interesting ride, but I’m glad we were able to hold on for the win.”
In the second round, McMillen would face Crampton teammate Doug Kalitta. McMillen would leave again first with an 0.026 light and looked to be on the path to a sure win as Kalitta smoked the tires at the hit. Suddenly near half track, McMillen’s car would start to drop cylinders causing the pan pressure switch to shut the car off. Once Kalitta saw that he pedaled the car and was able to run down McMillen at the finish line as all McMillen could do was coast to the loss.
“That was a tough one,” McMillen said. “There wasn’t much I could do at that point. I could see the finish line right in front of me and I could hear Doug coming on strong.”
“We want to build on this going into Norwalk and get stronger as we head towards the countdown.”
The next race is the final race of the ‘back to back’ four race Eastern Swing. Tickets are still available for the Norwalk, Ohio race June 20-23.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back