Mcclenathan misses pole position by a hair in st. Louis (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]MADISON, Ill. (May 2, 2009) - Cory McClenathan drove the FRAM Tough Guard Top Fuel dragster just one thousandth of a second short of claiming the No. 1 position at the NHRA Midwest Nationals, ending up No. 2 to Morgan Lucas.

With only two rounds of qualifying held after Friday's nitro sessions were washed out, McClenathan and crew chiefs Todd Okuhara and Phil Shuler came out charging in the first session, posting a solid 3.930-second pass at 267.48 mph to claim No. 3. They then bettered their effort in the final round to come oh so close to No. 1 with a 3.882/305.08 to Lucas' 3.881/299.46, set in the first round.

"Having Friday's qualifying rounds rained out was tough on everybody, especially the fans coming out here and sitting in the rain," said McClenathan. "It's one of those deals. Today we made the best of the situation and I think we have a great race car for tomorrow.

"I think this track at Gateway Int'l Raceway is better right now than I've ever seen it. The conditions are great, so my hat's off to NHRA and the track managers and everyone else for taking good care of it during the winter season.

"We have a race car in the FRAM Tough Guard dragster that everybody is going to have to beat. We may not be talked about very much in the media, but our car shows that we're always in the hunt."

McClenathan faces No. 15 qualifier Chris Karamesines in first round of Sunday's eliminations.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back