Mcclenathan settles for no. 13 in norwalk qualifying (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]NORWALK, Ohio (June 27, 2009) - Driving the FRAM Tough Guard Top Fuel dragster, Cory McClenathan made it into the No. 13 qualifying position today for the NHRA Nationals at Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park after struggling during Friday's rounds.

Friday's passes produced a 4.066-second pass at 275.45 mph, good for No. 5 at the time, but as others improved in the cooler Friday evening session, McClenathan smoked the tires to a 6.791/86.27 pass, kicking him out of the field.

In the heat of the day today, during the third qualifying round, McClenathan pulled out a strong pass of 4.050 seconds at 281.13 mph, which tied him for third quickest of that round, and moved him up into No. 13. He followed that up with the quickest pass of the final qualifying session, a 4.037/283.19, and remained in 13th place.

"That was good for the left-hand lane. It's probably the lane we're going to have tomorrow, so we were better off dealing with it now," said McClenathan, who does not have lane choice. "That’s exactly what (crew chiefs) Todd (Okuhara) and Phil (Shuler) wanted to do, so I'm excited about this.

"I know on an overall scale we didn't qualify very well, but we have some new things we're doing with the FRAM Tough Guard car and we were testing some things with that run and we were very safe.

"So, I feel pretty comfortable for tomorrow. We have Hot Rod Fuller again first round, so that will be interesting." "Cory Mac" lost to Fuller in the first round in Joliet, Ill., this year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back