Matt Smith Tries to Make it Two in a Row this Weekend (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]The 2007 NHRA POWERade Pro Stock Motorcycle Champion heads into Pomona, California this weekend with one round over second place, Eddie Krawiec and two rounds over third place, Chris Rivas. Smith riding his Nitrofish Buell will try to win his second Championship in a row on Sunday afternoon.

With a mere 19-point lead (one round), Smith knows all about the pressure it will take to win. After all it was just last year at this same track that Smith won his first ever NHRA Championship title. In a race, where Smith went in three rounds down and emerged as the Champ. He has a lot of fond memories at the Auto Club Finals and he hopes to make more this weekend.

Smith, who celebrated his 36th birthday this past Tuesday, hopes to give himself a late birthday present during Sunday’s eliminations.”

“Last year was amazing and I would love nothing more than to say, Happy Birthday to myself when this weekend is all said and done,” laughed Smith. “Last year, we had to rely on someone else to make mistakes in order for us to win since we went in so far down. This year, I will set my own destiny. I am the leader. If I lose the Championship, then it’s my fault, but you better bet that we are going to give it all we got.”

Smith stayed and tested after the Las Vegas race a few weeks ago, which is where he had trouble making his bike consistent last time out. However, after the test session on Monday, Smith proved yet again that he has the bike to beat.

“We stayed on the Monday after Vegas and ran,” said Smith. “I was not pleased with the results of my bike after that race and I knew there was work that needed to be done, so we stayed and tested. We are pretty sure we found our problem. We ran some great numbers, so hopefully we can get back in our rhythm this weekend.”

With qualifying kicking off on Thursday afternoon at 1:30pm, Smith will lead the field to the last race on the 2008 tour, as he tries to clinch his second NHRA Championship.

Attachments

• Matt_Smith.jpg
    Matt_Smith.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 62
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back