Match Race Madness in Joliet (1 Viewer)

Sean D, shondoo

Nitro Member
Hey Gang,

Does anyone have plans to attend Match Race Madness this weekend in Joliet? We're going to take our stuff there as part of the Nostalgia Pro Comp Association (NPCA) and would enjoy meeting whoever may be going.

Later,

Sean D

Hi Sean,
I plan on attending. What type of car do you run?

Good deal, Dave!

We run a blown alcohol altered. It's all black, has a 150" wheelbase and has a windshield/canopy. We don't run a "body", like a 23-T or Bantam. It just has dragster-type panels on it, so between that and the canopy, it's kinda' unique and shouldn't be too hard to find.

It'll be nice to put faces to names. Hope to see you there!

Sean D

I got the flyer in the mail and was going to head over there. Then, I found out my son's soccer game is at 1pm, in Naperville. It would be 3pm before we got there. Do you know the website for the schedule? I am assuming it doesn't run that late.

I got the flyer in the mail and was going to head over there. Then, I found out my son's soccer game is at 1pm, in Naperville. It would be 3pm before we got there. Do you know the website for the schedule? I am assuming it doesn't run that late.

Dave's right, Eric. Racing starts @ 4:00.

If you want to check things out anyway, you can get the information on Route 66 Raceway's website.

Sean D

Thank you, both. I should make it over there later. Last question. Any idea how late they plan on running?

That's a good question, Eric. Our group is slated to run a Chicago-style format of 2 preliminary rounds and a final. We have a ton of different categories, plus all of the other cars slated to show, I could see it being a very late night. Does Joliet have a curfew?

Sean D

You guys have fun over there. We were coming, but decided not to with no more runs on the new car.

Race Safe,

Rapid

Sean was that correct, carer best? Congrats.... Sorry I didn't get to meet you. Had a blast though.

Hey Sean, you were chopping down the tree. What were your first two lights? A .004 and .015 or something like that? Great job. I missed the final as I turn into a pumpkin at Midnight. Can you fill us in?

Sorry I'm so late, guys. I didn't get home until about 4:30 this morning.

Yes, Jim, they were career bests. And Dave, my lights were .007, .014 and .016 in the final. What can I say? Things pretty much just came together.

We really had no intention of running like that. We were entered to run in the 7.00 class, but after time trials, we were the only ones left of the 6 or 7 that were there. They had seen our 6.84 from the time trial and asked us to step into the 6.50 class for the Chicago-style eliminations. We didn't want to initially, because with exception to the 6.84 that kind of blindsided even us, we're pretty much dialed in on running 7.00. But we've never run this car on that track and it's quite a bit better than what we're used to running on, and the air conditions were pretty decent too. Not to mention we have pretty ancient stuff; an old-school Mooneyham 8-71, cast block, no mag, etc. Hell, we even still run water! That's just not a good combination to try to run 6.50 unless you want to work on it around the clock.

The last 2 passes of 6.78 and 6.72 I had actually shut-off around 1100 foot. We were appearing to have some ignition issues down-track after we started leaning on it a little, and when you consider the incrementals on the 6.72 were showing a 6.68 if we could've kept in it all the way through, I don't think that was too bad. After all, we went there expecting to run 7.00 and had a 1-run notice to try to step up. Kudos goes to our crew-chief and engine builder, Kerry Grams. There's one hell of a gap between what's necessary to run 7.00 and what's necessary to approach 6.50. He was forced to make some pretty major changes on very short notice and managed to take some pretty big chunks of performance without really hurting anything. He's the man.

Why didn't anyone come over and check us out? With all the waiting around that went on, it would've been kind of nice to put some faces to names. I was, however, able to spot and introduce myself to the infamous Tony Smith, aka T-Smith. I caught up to him lurking around in the staging lanes and he was a real cool cat.

All in all, we had a pretty good time. With exception to what seemed to be alot of clean-up, we thought the show was pretty good, and that track..................geez. It's just awesome.

Later,

Sean D

Last edited:
Tremendous job. Wish I could have found you in the pits. I didn't walk around too much. I'll try to catch up with you at one of the NPCA events.

Tremendous job. Wish I could have found you in the pits. I didn't walk around too much. I'll try to catch up with you at one of the NPCA events.

Thanks, Dave. I wish we could've hooked-up, but that's how it goes. Our intention is to be at all of the NPCA events this year, including the Good Guys in Indy in 2 or 3 weeks.

Later,

Sean D

Congrats, Sean on a great day/night. I am sorry that I had some family stuff come up and couldn't make it. I was really planning on it until things changed yesterday morning. But, son comes first, right?
Thanks for the update. Hope to catch up with you guys sometime.

Congrats, Sean on a great day/night. I am sorry that I had some family stuff come up and couldn't make it. I was really planning on it until things changed yesterday morning. But, son comes first, right?
Thanks for the update. Hope to catch up with you guys sometime.

Thanks, Eric. We appreciate it.

No apologies needed. We would've loved to see you there, but those things just happen. We'll catch up to you sometime.

Later,

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back